What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

That 165 is an old model. IIRC back then it was common to have the owner do a little more work on the models than nowadays. I think this one is one of the three Moonlight Express 165 Series variants released by Kato.

• Like 1

It's probably the same as some Roundhouse models. 

They're basically just "re-painted" versions of existing models.

Problem with this is that they don't replicate parts which are exclusive to the prototype. Take the Toreiyu Tsubasa or Izu Craile for example. Kato only changed the external appearance to resemble those trains, while taking the interior parts from the old Tsubasa & Akagi models even though the interiors of the prototypes vastly differ. These two are pretty extreme cases, which is why I always check twice before buying Roundhouse models. In my view it's a very lazy method to make more money quick. 

Either way, that's a nice 165 series and for the price I could even live with making my own head mark plate.

That 165 is an old model. IIRC back then it was common to have the owner do a little more work on the models than nowadays. I think this one is one of the three Moonlight Express 165 Series variants released by Kato.

Thanks for the answers :) I guess I'll try to find something to use for the head mark then, maybe a piece  of thick paper/thin cardboard will do too.

I came across this one on Hobbysearch when trying to find an excuse to purchase the faster shipping method for some small parts, it was next to it's green and red brothers which were sold out though. As I have been eyeing some 165 series sets for a while and quite like this livery I thought, why not? The train was listed as released in 2002 or 2003 there, I was quite surprised that such an old model was not sold out yet. :)

Edited by Gryphr

Got a replacement SDN136 sound decoder chip from Digitrax today, the original one fried when the headlight lead shorted to the motor.  Now I finally can finish my DCC sound install in my kato C62.  I wonder if it is worth trying to make a C62 sound file from youtube videos, or if its possible to somehow get the files from kato's soundcard.  I'll be using the default steam sounds for now, but I would like to at least get the whistle sound right.

Edit: Moot point now, as this decoder burned up too!  Don't know how it could have been my fault this time, the sound chip got very hot and now it screeches whenever power is applied.  Super angry, at this point it seems like way too much time has been wasted on trying to fix this loco.  Starting to wish I hadn't bothered in the first place, what a waste of an good locomotive.

Edited by Kiha66

Weak, weak, weak, I am weak... I could not resist the Hachimanyama park tower on 55% off sale. Quite distinctive and lots of fun small elements in the park at the base that could make a very unique scene in a small space. For a tower it's a reasonable size on a layout scene to be dramatic but not like trying to model Tokyo tower at 2.2m or sky tree at 4.2m!

Jeff

• Like 1

Havent been posting in this thread for a while... too busy with moving house and work and stuff... but the pre-orders are still coming in, just that I haven't got the time to open them yet!

But I just couldn't resist knowing if I have the Special variant for the bus collection 22nd so...

post-819-0-48565400-1502697536_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-75286700-1502697538_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-71825800-1502697539_thumb.jpg

And NO I do not have the secret variant.....   but the airport bus is REALLY nice!

Also got my hands on this really rare set from Green Max:

post-819-0-08257000-1502697584_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-68104800-1502697586_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-21468200-1502697588_thumb.jpg

Never pass a Toei bus! This is nice as the painting is very smooth and nice like Tomytec standard, and they come with a decal sheet to place the destination boards and license numbers, talk about a good switch of bus service routes!

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 5

I have seen numerous people talk about getting ready for JAM. May i ask what JAM is (besides a food product or possibly good music)?

Thanks,

Eric

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think I'm using the case correctly

attachicon.gif008.JPG

Actually I see a problem there, it appears you're missing some Taki it seems haha. Much like Koki there's no such thing as enough Taki. 

• Like 1

Actually I see a problem there, it appears you're missing some Taki it seems haha. Much like Koki there's no such thing as enough Taki. 

I've got two of the Tomix ones due this month on preorder & may have a line on a OOP Kato Taki. I also agree on the Kokis, I'd to order another case for storing some incoming ones.

• Like 1

or from tomix. Which were re-released recently.

True, but: the Tomix version have been for sale for a long time in Germany and, they look quite different. These look like they can be opened.

I love the Kato C12. A lovely model but one of the pins on the running gear worked its way out on mine. It pushed back in quite simply but getting the rods back on in the right order was a right ball ache. Just keep an eye out for anything looking wobbly and you'll have no issue. Mine hasn't done it since so may have come loose in transit.

Picked up the Limited Express Kamome coaches from Kato (10-1422 & 10-1423) Pleased to find a head mark for my C62 included as I missed out on the "Aki" set. Sadly no headmark for the EF58.

The only slight niggle is the parcel car end headmark doesn't light quite as brightly as the passenger car end but I'd imagine they wouldn't have kept the parcel car as clean anyway.post-2039-0-20155900-1502975232_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 3

Today arrived:

MicroAce Series KiHa 183-5200 "North Rainbow Express" , KATO Container Express "Takara" & KATO Kokifu 50000

The "Takara Express" is not really my collection area but I find this in combination with the EH10 very beautiful :-)

post-2772-0-94637700-1502986756_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The Takara Express is a very nice model! I recommend getting some of the Kato koki 5500s with the lighter green containers, and mixing the containers up to give a little variety. I recently got the whole 24 car set, and it's a real head turner. Now I'm just waiting for the EH10 I won on buyee to arrive.

• Like 1

That North Rainbow express is really nice! It reminds me of a multi colored HOT 7000 series ~~  I was looking at this train and realised its a Hokkaido train...

• Like 1

I love the Kato C12. A lovely model but one of the pins on the running gear worked its way out on mine. It pushed back in quite simply but getting the rods back on in the right order was a right ball ache. Just keep an eye out for anything looking wobbly and you'll have no issue. Mine hasn't done it since so may have come loose in transit.

thanks for the alert. I had a look this morning and all seems fine so far. wouldn't fancy having to re mount or sort out any of that valve gear!

Well, I'm getting pumped now.  I placed a decent sized order for the sets listed as on hold in nah00's thread in the Classified section.  I also added one Kato set to the list.  Here's what I am waiting on (can't wait to get it!):

Tomix

92051 Series 253 Limited Express 'Narita Express'
92702 0-7000 Series Shinkansen West Hikari Standard Set
92624 100 Series Shinkansen Tokaido/Sanyo Basic Set
92082 500 Series Shinkansen 'Nozomi' Basic Set
92084 500 Series Shinkansen 'Nozomi' Add-on Set B
92604 Odakyu Electric Railway Type 10000 'HiSE Romance Car'
92708 Series 183, Series 485 Limited Express 'Kitakinki'
92717 Series E26 Cassiopeia Basic Set
92717 x2 Series E26 Cassiopeia Basic Set
92719 B Series E26 Cassiopeia Add-on Set B
92714 Series 113-1500 Yokosuka Line Set B

Kato
10-387 Series 285-3000 ‘Sunrise Express’ (JR Central Ver.)

Christmas in August!!!!  I'll post some pics and comments once I get them in.

Eric

• Like 7

Yeah, this easily doubles or triples my collection of Japanese trains.  Lots of stuff I have either wanted for awhile or only had single cars.  Will be nice to have some full(er) length train sets to run.  FedEx can't get here soon enough!

Eric