What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

received these from a local auction recently and I am curious about the age of them as well as packaging I have not seen before. Seem to be fairly old?? but never used. Hopefully someone can give me some info. Thanks

post-1342-0-19603200-1501637243_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Original Unitrack design, late 70's, early 80's?

I read something in a magazine about the early Unitrack / Finetrack being brown, which was because real ballast used to be much browner due to particle pollution from brake discs/shoes; the move towards regenerative braking etc. has lead to much cleaner ballast (though  you still see some very brown stuff in some places).

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf

I have been a little bit lazy of late putting up deliveries as the order just prior to todays delivery was small. The prior delivery is a DE10 in original JRF livery with some U30B containers and some fencing, todays delivery is an EF66-100, 2 Koki 107's one with taillights and some ISO 20' containers. With the EF66-100 I never planned to get one as I was not a big fan of EF66's, however after seeing a number of EF66-100's in action when I was staying near Nagoya in April I got to love their looks and style.

post-3083-0-06326200-1501646893_thumb.jpg

post-3083-0-19470400-1501646987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 3

Got a great deal on a basically new kato V12 track set, almost 50% off!  It goes well with the kato V16, although it takes up a lot of space.  In the figure 8 set up I can fit a full 16 car shinkansen train on the straight a way.  I may need to get some more curves though, as it turns out the set comes with only easement curves, no 45 degree pieces.  May also try to get a kato V13 if I can find a good deal on one.  I'd like to eventually be able to set up kato plan 29 or 30 on some folding tables.

post-3846-0-00371500-1501659025_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-29533800-1501659023_thumb.jpg

Plan 29

http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/plan_wk_N2/Plan02_73_93.pdf

Plan 30

http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/plan_wk_N2/Plan02_74_94.pdf

• Like 2

The V12 doesn't only come with easement curves; two are ordinary curves (though short versions, which as far as I know, you can only get in the set and not anywhere else).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The V12 doesn't only come with easement curves; two are ordinary curves (though short versions, which as far as I know, you can only get in the set and not anywhere else).

um? no

Then you have a different type of V12. The V12 has 4 curved tracks that are not easement curves, but are the same length as the easement curves. This makes 2 "ordinary" 45 degree curves.

Also when you make the layouts you linked, be sure to test whether the standard slope is to your (and your trains) liking. I wrote a whole thread about how in my opinion the standard slope is too steep.

Unless the Japanese language version comes with a different assortment, the stamdard set is just 4 pairs of easement curves. It seems the way the box lists them is a little confusing if you don't read carefully, as I was surprised upon first opening the box till I reread the description.

post-3846-0-93406300-1501661272_thumb.jpg

The picture you linked says the same thing: 4 ordinary 22.5 degree curves, and 2 sets of easement curves. I indeed own the Japanese version, but it would be weird if yours specifically is different.

...apparently I stand corrected, the superelevation of the 22.5 degree curves is so slight it seems they snap to flat track without issue. No convient mark on the end like the v16 easements to let you know which is which. Interesting that Kato makes such a piece yet it is only available in this one set. I still would like to get some 45 degree viaduct curves though, which was what I originally thought the set came with.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

Now this is more like a proper train:

Looks great squid, love the old JNR electrics. Is that a Tomix model?

Huh, never heard that way of pronouncing it before! I probably should spend less time buying trains and more time actually learning japanese. :)

Didn't receive these in the mail but my local hobby shop recently purchased a lot of n-scale from an estate sale and a decent amount of it was Japanese, early 2000s Kato and Tomix. There's a lot more that I wanted but unfortunately money is a thing. Got the Seibu Cement Train, the other half of the Type 0 Shinkansen for the set I bought a few weeks ago (unfortunately though this one has the newer pantographs that are half plastic), the original Hikari Rail Star (no power couplers but can I switch the ones it has out for the newer ones...?), a DE-10 Nostalgic View set, the 4 car set to finish my TGV, a Microace Taki-1100 set for UBE, a Kato Ku-5000, and a 2000 Tomix catalog (it has some nice pictures and I'm sucker for old catalogs). Needless to say this wasn't cheap but I was able to scratch the second half of the Type 0, the Rail Star, Nostalgic View Train, and the 4 car TGV set off of my list.

Also...can someone help me with placement of destination signs on the Type 0? I'm assuming there's enough on this one sheet to do all 16 cars. 

post-3438-0-67708200-1501729540_thumb.jpg

post-3438-0-43942100-1501729563_thumb.jpg

post-3438-0-99146500-1501729752_thumb.jpg

post-3438-0-09273800-1501729992_thumb.jpg

post-3438-0-20339900-1501730011_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Those are really good buys, considering the rareness of them, especially that 3-car Nostalgic View set!

Regarding the 0 series, you should have enough decals to go around, since technically each car requires only 2 of them, one on the left, the other on the right. The smaller ones with the reserved and non-reserved needs 4 of them on each car. You can see quite a lot of pictures from here:

http://www.speedsphere.jp/RailRoad/Shinkansen/Tec0SeriesModelReview02b.aspx

Wow, nice haul nah00!  I've been eyeing that Seibu cement set, what a lucky find! 

I didn't notice it my first go-round but when I looked through the boxes again I found it. I thought about it for about 5 seconds before I decided to get it even though I'm not a huge Seibu fan. 

Those are really good buys, considering the rareness of them, especially that 3-car Nostalgic View set!

The 3-car Nostalgic View is rare? I thought the four car one was harder to come by. I know it's not a common set and it's one I had my eye on. Also thanks for the link on the Type 0, I think I get the gist of where they go now. 

Also forgot to mention: none of these have been run since purchase which can be a good and bad thing. I may have some work on my hands but they were stored well so I'm not too worried. I'll definitely have to go back. I just breezed through the sets and didn't get much of a chance to look at the locomotives and rolling stock they had.