New rolling stock for Yamanote Line- 235 series

No more new?

I haven't seen anything. I think somewhere in the JRE headquarters there's a bunch of IT guys reimplementing INTEROS from scratch for the third time :grin :(

SuRoNeFu 25-501

I haven't seen anything. I think somewhere in the JRE headquarters there's a bunch of IT guys reimplementing INTEROS from scratch for the third time :grin :(

As well as those that working on-board MuE (since MuE is used for developing INTEROS by JR East)  :grin

In theory it shouldn't be that hard to make an ethernet/ip based train control bus. (did it once for a research) At least as long as you keep your layers separated. I think that freezing up from a manual brake application should be one of the first problems to pop up during testing. (unless the manual aplication was needed because the software was already dead)

Ps: Since JRE has 21 operational sets of 231, we can safely assume that only a single set of 235 is completed as the rest of the platform door cars are still in the 231-s.

In case anyone wants to catch this on the move, tests will be during the night after the last regular train; and from January 6th, 3 circuits during the day for 4 days.

An E235 series train (the 10-car set) is 215,410 m long.

An E231-500 is 220 m long. There is a 4,59 m gap!

The platform doors wouldn't fit !

How did JR East will solve this issue?

An E235 series train (the 10-car set) is 215,410 m long.

An E231-500 is 220 m long. There is a 4,59 m gap!

The platform doors wouldn't fit !

How did JR East will solve this issue?

According to Wikipedia:

車体長さは中間車は19,500mmであるが、先頭車では運転台機器拡大に伴い70mm延長し、19,570mmとしている。いずれも連結面間距離は20,000mmに統一しており、これはE233系と同一である。

I.e. cars are 19,500mm (19,570mm for the end cars), but the connections between the cars bring the length up to 20,000, same as the E233 (or E231).

That would explain these labels I noticed on the inside of the platform doors at the rear end of each platform:

gallery_1206_166_62555.jpg

Presumably the slightly shorter cars mean the train conductor's door is slightly forward of the E231 position.

BTW the Wikipedia article says the E235 is still out of service.

• Like 1

Interesting find.  Bringing the cab cars into line with the other cars means that in the future,  You could pop a cab car into the middle of a consist and it wont effect the platform doors.  I just with the introduction of more platform doors across the network.  And looking at future plans for consist.  This shortening of the cab cars allows unit to be moved around to other duties and lines with minimal fuss.

Eh? All the cars have been shortened, though the end cars are 7cm longer on the E235 (seem to be all the same length on the E231/E233), which would make it harder to align with the platform doors.

It would be interesting to know why the cars are shorter though.

The E235 formation is testing again, between Shinagawa and southwestern Kanagawa-ken.  Four roundtrips were run over two days; on Tuesday the 9th, one to Kozu and one to Nebukawa, and on Wednesday the 10th, two to Kozu.  The Tuesday runs were via the Tokaido Freight Line.

http://railf.jp/news/2016/02/11/204000.html

looks like there was some testing on the 11th also, by powerskyaccess:

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

Apparently seven revenue trips around the loop will be be made tomorrow, on the outer track (clockwise).

• Like 1
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Hopefully E235 no longer went back into its NEET state again...

bikkuri bahn

Looks like it went well:

New Yamanote Line train relaunch goes without hitch

In a second chance to make a good first impression, East Japan Railway Co. relaunched its E235 train on central Tokyo’s Yamanote Line on March 7.

After experiencing a series of system malfunctions on its first day in operation more than three months ago, the much-hyped model undertook its second “first ride.”

There was no ceremony this time around, unlike at the official launch last November, but nonetheless, around 200 train enthusiasts gathered on the platform to take the new train that left Osaki Station in Shinagawa Ward at 3:30 p.m.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201603080050

I have finally travelled upon this mythical train, and... it's OK. From a passenger point of view, a mild incremental improvement over the E231 apart from the advertising monitors; it seems a little quieter and the interior a little more colourful than the E231, but that's about it.

bikkuri bahn

I have finally travelled upon this mythical train, and... it's OK. From a passenger point of view, a mild incremental improvement over the E231 apart from the advertising monitors; it seems a little quieter and the interior a little more colourful than the E231, but that's about it.

That's all? I thought it would at least microwave your bento for you :)

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

You should try a budapest tram seat. They have great built in vibration that will surely rattle all your bones and drinks are served every friday and saturday night on the lines 4 and 6, just bring your own cup (and umbrella) if you don't like it all over your clothes. Don't expect any staff though, but at least the party goer girls are mostly cute.  :)

To stay on topic: When could we expect the end of the testing phase and are there any timelines for the construction/conversion for the rest of the fleet?

• Like 3

Production versions of the E235 were added to the Yamanote line starting May 22, 2017. More sets are being deliveried.

http://rail.hobidas.com/rmn/archives/2017/05/jre23503.html

Poppy video.

Unit 02 on the Yamanote line. Shinjuku Taro video

Photoclub 506 video.

Unit 04 in transit to Tokyo.   Yui River Video

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4