New rolling stock for Yamanote Line- 235 series

bikkuri bahn

Spotted over at SSC, from a post by Sr. Horn.  It will be called the 235 series.  Introduction in autumn of 2015.

The trains will use either hybrid or full silicon carbide inverters, replacing the silicon inverters used on previous designs.  Instead of TIMS, a new system developed by JR East, called INTEROS, will be installed, offering 10x faster transmission speed.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2014/20140701.pdf

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2

Oh my god it looks ugly! And why replace stock that's 10 years old? The interior looks the same... or is the only advantage that it has higher acceleration and such?

• Like 1

The 231-500 series has a 15 year lifespan and were introduced in 2002. That means and end of life for the frames and bogies of the first units around 2017. From the front, the new 235 series looks like a slightly rounded high cab 103 series. Considering how long the 103 and the 113 series lasted, these new trains will be around for a much less time. At least the first 233 series sets still have 6 more years.

Could someone explain me what does 改造車 mean on car 10?

• Like 1

Could someone explain me what does 改造車 mean on car 10?

Google translate translates it as 'funny car' :grin or as remodeled/modified car construction.

It doesn't look that bad, plus I always like to see the real thing before passing judgment.

I'll guess that the answer to why is energy efficiency. It'll be interesting to see how the displaced equipment is repurposed (or not). It's tailored for the Yamanote isn't it?

The design concept mentioned in the official concept is interesting: 'A vehicle that communicates between the customers and the company.'

The exterior design also puts an end to the green horizontal line identifying the Yamanote line. Now that JR West started the vertical line thing JR East suddenly wants it too.

It looks pretty futuristic I'd say. Fits perfectly with the new line of trains JR East have been announcing. Personally, I really like it!

It's going to take some getting used to with the new trainset design.

It will be VERY interesting will this new trainset finally replace the aging 209 Series EMU on the JR East Musashino Line and replace the E231's on the Chūō-Sōbu Line.

With regards to "modified car", the first page indicates that the pre-production set consists of 10 newly manufactured cars and 1 modified car, presumably from a E231/233?

• Like 1

First look, it looks ok. But seems like missing something or something cut off it's face... Will need to see the actual model to make more judgment ~

Still like the E231-500. It's like, a trademark or something, for the Yamanote Line. When mentioned about Tokyo's train system, almost every picture will feature the E231-500 in Yamanote Line ~~ 

Each new train that comes out has a shorter life span than the one before it.  How long before the next train is on the drawing boards before it's predecessor is even off the factory floor?  An argument for replacing trains is often that mainanence costs will be reduced but the rollingstock manufacturers must be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Like 2

This is coming from memory - a book that I've read a long time back when 209 series was introduced. Of course, my Japanese reading skill wasn't that great then (nor do I think it is in any better shape today!). So, please correct me if I am wrong.

The idea, 重量半分・価格半分・寿命半分, roughly translated "Half weight, Half price, Half life" was the answer to JR East's dilemma as their fleet of 103 series were seriously starting to show their age.

"Half weight" refers to the reduction of both the number of motor cars and total weight to save energy. Less weight also means less wear and tear on parts and rail. "Half price" refers to mass production bringing the cost down at the manufacturer level. "Half life"... well, it means the trains are replaced every 10-15 years instead of the JNR era of 20-30. Plus, if I understand correctly, railway law sets the amortization period of trains to be 13 years, so on the book they worth nothing anyways, and yet maintenance still has to be done on stuff that "worth nothing". So, writing them off looks better on the books.

As technology advances, a shorter life span allows companies to adopt technology at a faster pace. Of course, these probably come at the cost of standardizing the car body... these trains are not as "exciting" to look at, at least comparing them with express trains.

• Like 1

I would like to point out that the manufacturer is actually owned by JR East. This means the base costs for maintenance and manufacturing are the same, so they can make new trains for the cost of refurbishing an old one. Not to mention that they are cheating and actually recycling many parts from older sets. The new yamanote platform door cars have two different style of door windows. The reason is that they were recycled from slightly different emus.

According to the pdf above, the new trains will have a few features that might worth the change if they have to change the stock anyways:

-better traction system

-faster doors

-more space for wheelchairs and bikes (also usable as standing space)

This means the line will get back the same standing capacity the 231-s had with the cattle cars while allowing for a cheaper and more frequent operation. The new control system with the platform doors allows one man or even completly automated operation, with reduced headways. A faster train means less tavel time, but also means less rolling stock is needed to provide the same capacity or the same amount of train cars can move more people.

I think this rolling stock change is caused by the eol of the trains and the anticipated high traffic from the olympics (by then a large part of the current 233 series trains will also be replaced) and the hopes that in the near future the tourist flow of the 2000-s will return.

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

Google translate translates it as 'funny car' :grin

Hmmm, I've seen them run and I've no idea how it will be cheaper when it explodes...  ;)

7c268df5570873b64f18a6349f74d996.jpg

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

With regards to "modified car", the first page indicates that the pre-production set consists of 10 newly manufactured cars and 1 modified car, presumably from a E231/233?

Yes, car#10 will apparently be a refurbished saha E231-4600 series which will be re-designated as a saha E235. The E235 will most certainly be built at JR East's Niitsu Rolling Stock plant, where production of past E231 and current E233 occurs.

And by the time the 235's go in service, JR-West will still be running the 103's and 201's. :icon_brilsmurf:

What are the chances that the 231's will get a light refurb and migrate to other lines?

Edited by Shashinka

What are the chances that the 231's ill get a light refurb and migrate to other lines?

That's what I was thinking, but maybe the 231-500s are specialized enough for the Yamanote that for other lines they'll be less than ideal.  Then kvp's post reminded me that these are post-209 series, that is, they're only meant to run for 15 years.  By the time the first 235s are ready, that period will be just about up for the earliest 231s.

Maybe it will be more interesting to see if there are any 235 series variants built for other lines, although the greater Tokyo area is probably just about maxed out on E233s :grin.

Maybe it will be more interesting to see if there are any 235 series variants built for other lines, although the greater Tokyo area is probably just about maxed out on E233s :grin.

My guess is that JR East Musashino Line will get the E235's to replace the aging 209's now on that line.

• Like 1

My guess is that JR East Musashino Line will get the E235's to replace the aging 209's now on that line.

That's a good point.  I sometimes forget about the Musashino Line entirely :).  I also didn't realize that these are 209s, the -500 subseries have that different front end, I probably couldn't identify one of those at all.  Plus that line apparently has non-refurbished 205s.  Japanese wikipedia lists a fair number of 209-500s, 13 10-car sets at Mitaka Depot, and 1 10-car set and 3 8-car sets at Keiyo Depot.

That's a good point.  I sometimes forget about the Musashino Line entirely :).  I also didn't realize that these are 209s, the -500 subseries have that different front end, I probably couldn't identify one of those at all.  Plus that line apparently has non-refurbished 205s.  Japanese wikipedia lists a fair number of 209-500s, 13 10-car sets at Mitaka Depot, and 1 10-car set and 3 8-car sets at Keiyo Depot.

The JR East Musashino LIne is pretty much the last stand for the 209 Series, now that the other lines that ran the 209's are now switching to the 233's--a notable example being the JR East Keiyō Line that runs pretty close to the shores of Tokyo Bay and one of its stations--Maihama--is the "gateway" stop for Tokyo Disneyland. In short, the 205's that used to run around Tokyo are being shipped to other parts of Southeast Asia, and the 209's are sadly headed towards the scrapyard.

I expect an announcement very soon that JR East will build additional E235's for the Musashino Line starting in late 2017. 

bikkuri bahn

I have to agree with kvp.  The Musashino Line historically is one of the last lines to receive replacement rolling stock- the traffic profile of this line is different even from other peripheral/cross country lines in the JR-E shutoken network- most passengers are taking short trips between stations, rather than longer journeys, so rolling stock doesn't require high performance, and any of the new models are overspec.  Rather than new e233's (there apparently are no subseries numbers left in this series) or the e235's, cascading from the Sobu Line (209-500 subseries, or even E231) is a possibility.

Rather than new e233's (there apparently are no subseries numbers left in this series) or the e235's, cascading from the Sobu Line (209-500 subseries, or even E231) is a possibility.

I think because the 209's on the Musashino Line are getting old (they're not designed to be refurbished like you have with the older JNR-era trainsets), not to mention the fact that JR East plans to phase out E233 production probably by the middle of 2016, that's why I say this line will be the next to get the E235, probably in variant with shorter train lengths.

Guest keio6000

When the keihin tohoku 209s came out, i thought they were a revolution in ugliness and plainness. But, i gradually came to warm to them and now see their aesthetic as forward thinking and pleasing.

Now, i see these new yamanote 235s similarly. From the drawings. I am not impressed. Kind of reminds me of the tobu 50000s... A somewhat radical design suitable for a second tier line... But, having beem through this before, i am fully prepared for the possibility that it will be much nicer in person and that i will warm to it.

What bothers me, however, is the sides. It seems that the sides are designed for advertising. And that would be a truly unwelcome new chapter in j train history. I also wonder if the lack of identifying stripe has been "crowd tested"--maybe its mostly ok on the dedicated yamanote, but i can see the lack of ready identifiable service colors potentially a usability issue elsewhere... You cant necessaily always see the colored doors on a busy platform or when hurrying (remember.. When the doors are open you cant see them!)

• Like 1