New rolling stock for Yamanote Line- 235 series

bikkuri bahn

It looks like an electronic device case at a glance...  I forgot the device, maybe a cellphone/smartphone, powerbank or usb case, coz that's what came thru my mind when I looked at the shape..

They have been nicknamed "microwave ovens" (denshi renji) by fans here.

• Like 1

They have been nicknamed "microwave ovens" (denshi renji) by fans here.

Hi Bikkuri,

Yeah, that make sense too... Microwave.. XD

HHmm.... if no advertisements, wouldn't that spell lesser income for JR East? I know commercial advertisements at stations and inside trains are a good source of income for train operators...

HHmm.... if no advertisements, wouldn't that spell lesser income for JR East? I know commercial advertisements at stations and inside trains are a good source of income for train operators...

Umm...

East Japan Railway Co. (JR East) will begin in autumn test runs of a new Yamanote Line train that replaces the hanging ads with digital signage on the walls.

Damn, not more distracting flickering screens....

Guest keio6000

Recommended reading:

0b6aec2d79192ab23db2852c942ffb60.jpg

and yes, the exterior AND interior of this very corrupted train design has been made to generate potential ad revenue, as i have been saying for some time.

• Like 1

and yes, the exterior AND interior of this very corrupted train design has been made to generate potential ad revenue, as i have been saying for some time.

Oh come on, it's not like it's Ansaldo Breda... I for one am welcoming the removal of those pesky paper advertisements. Also, why look at screens when everybody is reading books, watching their smartphones or looking out the window anyway? Also, who travels the Yamanote for long distances anyway?

• Like 1

Moved gillysfg's post from a separate topic into this one.

The video clearly shows how the digital ads are gonna work.

The destination boards are inorganic leds, the head and tail lights also. These boards in larger sizes are usually used as led video walls. This means they can even show a video stream or get updated on the fly though a wireless network connection.

I don't really understand the need though, except as a technological demo, since the yamanote trains are rarely rerouted, so 3 static boards (clockwise, counter clockwise, out of service) or a monochrome display would have been more than enough. Unless they plan to automatically change the text multiple times a day, like in this case:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--nFwvx1Ym--/fa1lomula1xes7uqx2jd.jpg (the text says: 'technical break')

railsquid

The destination boards are inorganic leds, the head and tail lights also. These boards in larger sizes are usually used as led video walls. This means they can even show a video stream or get updated on the fly though a wireless network connection.

I don't really understand the need though, except as a technological demo, since the yamanote trains are rarely rerouted, so 3 static boards (clockwise, counter clockwise, out of service) or a monochrome display would have been more than enough. Unless they plan to automatically change the text multiple times a day, like in this case:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--nFwvx1Ym--/fa1lomula1xes7uqx2jd.jpg (the text says: 'technical break')

The trains do regularly terminate at various stations (usually Ikebukuro and Osaki) and at others when part of the loop is out of action (e.g. to falling catenary masts). I don't see the point of the flower pictures on the boards though... Technology for the sake of technology.

For another example, some new trams of the same family were supplied with cow catchers (pedestrian safety equipment) to one transit company but the other didn't buy this option. The equipped trams hit someone (usually drunken cyclists) on a montly basis without a single death so far. The other company has a few deaths every year (usually cyclists and in one case someone was pushed under the tram from the platform and the tram was going only at walking speed on fully paved tracks, so even two vertical iron bars welded before the front wheels could have saved her)

For japanese trains, adding cow catchers or wheel protection bars around the front bogies would help getting any objects on the tracks out of the loading gauge and that increases the survival chances. Safety ditches between the tracks also help getting anyone falling or jumping in front of an arriving train get safely under the rail head level. Combining the two helps a lot and decreses delays as the victims can usually be carried off alive and much faster. These features have nothing to do with front end design and some of the older jnr trains were equipped with these while modern, more streamlined ones are not.

Interestingly "lifeguards" were a legal requirement on British trams going back over a century. There was a sort of three bar gate arrangement dangling from the front of the tram below the driver's platform. If hit, it triggered a similarly designed scoop to drop down in front of the wheels and catch anyone (or anything) ending up underneath before it reached the wheels. This didn't just protect anyone who might manage to get themselves hit by a tram. If you think about it, a lump of wood or a sack of grain could easily cause a derailment and probably put the tram on its side. The driver had a foot pedal to reset the system if it was triggered by, say someone strolling past and not looking where they were waving their umbrella.

A feature which has hitherto garnered little attention is the provision of roof-mounted airbags to mitigate the impact of falling catenary masts.

Would it not be cheaper to fix the catenary so bits of it don't fall on the trains?

Edited by Welshbloke

Roof-mounted airbags.  It made me laugh when it was originally posted.  And it still make me laugh when reading it again.  Some live in a fantasy world.

Cos catenary poles falling on top of trains happens so often that a full company wide roof airbag implementation scheme is needed.  :laughing3:

Edited by katoftw

Tongue was firmly in cheek when I wrote that, of course. I do wonder if the new trains will be fitted with sprinklers mounted on the sides so they can be used to douse any lineside cable fires.

As posted by Sr.Horn of SkyscraperCity here, JR East has announced that the first E235 will begin revenue service on 30 November at 15:18.

Source from original post: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2015/10/13/570/

Starting from Osaki (where else). I'll keep an eye out for it but won't be going along for the first trip.

Tongue was firmly in cheek when I wrote that, of course. I do wonder if the new trains will be fitted with sprinklers mounted on the sides so they can be used to douse any lineside cable fires.

Yes, actually the old soviet metro cars in Budapest were indeed fitted with them. Mostly it's not cable fire tough, but oil mud and trash getting lit up by the 3rd rail shoes. The original instructions required the regular hosing of the tunnels and the air cooled underslung multiple unit control circuits, but nowdays this isn't really performed for various reasons. The solution was to add automatic fire extinguishers to all cars, which can put out any traction equipment and most trackside fires automatically. (you just see a bit of a smoke and a burnt smell and the red lamp lighting up on the side of the effected car)

Revenue service starts in 5 weeks.  What do you think?  Normally you come out with super obvious statements.  Wouldn't it be obvious they would have started building them by now considering the time it takes to build an 11 car train.

It's the pre mass production set, I don't think it's a given that the final mass production spec has been decided and is under construction. For example, EH500-901 preceded the first generation standard locos by 2.5 years.

• Like 1