New rolling stock for Yamanote Line- 235 series

Full E235 trainsets are currently doing test runs on the Yamanote line, if that was actually the question being asked. I saw several last week.

spacecadet, I believe the first trainset constructed will soon enter service. I haven't read anything about when will the first production trainsets will start coming out of the JR East Niitsu plant or from the J-TREC assembly plant.

There is only one set right now.  Are you seeing any information about there being a second, third, etc set in existence?  I'm not.  If you are, please post a link.  They're going to use the 01 pre-production formation for some revenue runs to see if any changes should be made for the final design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E235_series

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR%E6%9D%B1%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%ACE235%E7%B3%BB%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A

http://railf.jp/news/jr/east/

There is only one set right now.  Are you seeing any information about there being a second, third, etc set in existence?  I'm not.

No, I suppose I could have seen the same set multiple times. I assumed it was multiple sets because I only rode the Yamanote about 4 times and I saw an E235 set from the platform 3 of those 4 times. It could have just been coincidence/lucky timing.

Ask and you shall receive...

^ First train in service, incl. the usual unruly railfans these events seem to attract.

There are actually quite a few videos available already, ranging from shaky cell phone videos to hour long sound recordings (those SiC element IGBT's produce quite a nice sound, though not too dissimilar to the existing E233系's off course).

• Like 2

Wonder what the chances are of encountering it tomorrow morning.

BTW JR have relented on the whole paperless advertising thing and are bringing back the hanging sheets after pressure from advertisers, surprise surprise.

The first revenue run videos are pretty crappy, the nice ones are of the special run the previous day. This one of today`s train is decent, and you can see the paper advertisements inside the train too...

• Like 1

The Japanese love their trains!

Actually I get the hype about final or last runs, but a first run? It means there are going to be several more similar trains like it, right? Kinda strange so many people queued up just to take the photo of this 1st train... Or is it because being able to ride the first train is something neat? 

I get the whole last run thingy, since it's not going to be in service anymore and probably wouldn't be able to see the train running in that formation in service again, but a maiden service run is something I don't really get much ~~  :)

trainsforever8

Well, it seems the train isn't working well according to this article http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/12/01/national/new-yamanote-line-train-pulled-service-multiple-malfunction-warnings-go-off/#.Vl0PtXj5nwy 

New Yamanote Line train pulled from service after multiple malfunction warnings go off

East Japan Railway Co. suspended operation of its new train on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo only a day after its debut Monday after multiple malfunction warnings were displayed on the driver’s cab monitor, company sources said.

Investigators will examine the new train, code-named E235, at a train maintenance yard Tuesday in Shinagawa Ward after it showed the warnings when it stopped at Otsuka Station in Toshima Ward a little behind the stop line.

The new train will be replaced by a regular train, and thus the suspension will not affect the day’s scheduled operations, the sources said.

JR East will decide whether to resume operations with the new train Wednesday after the investigation is completed.

The new train came to a halt at Otsuka at 10:50 p.m. Monday about 1.5 meters behind the designated stopping line when the driver used a manual braking system because its auto braking felt too soft, and then the monitor showed multiple warnings, the company sources quoted the diver as saying.

The driver then moved the train forward to the right position, opened the doors to let about 700 passengers leave the train and then took the train to the maintenance yard near Osaki Station.

On Monday, the new train, which started at Osaki Station at 3:18 a.m., was scheduled to go round the loop line seven times, but it was forced to halt operations during the seventh circuit. It also had door-related trouble, according to the company.

Edited by trainsforever8

Why the first pantograph is illuminated?

That's likely part of the catenary monitoring system installed on this train, on the third car (moha E235-1).