Going Japanese!!!

Pauljag900

Pauljag900

Jeff,

Jeez I wish you d stop sending me these links for tools! Ha ha,it's on it's way as we speak!

I m not gonna do anything at the mo anyway Jeff,but they ll be handy to have just in case.

I just wanted to see if I could salvage it as it was or was I gonna have to strip it all off and start over,thankfully I think I got away with it for now.Sorting the lights will be one of those jobs when I ve nothing to do on it.

By the way,the money box arrived today,grandkids love it!

Paul

Paul,

yeah now that you have the terminal strips set up it should be faster to pull lights and shorten them and rewire in. then just glue to the road plate as you are now and let the wires float!

great, glad they like the bank! it is very fun. still makes me smile each time and things like that are good!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Paul,

Yeah #4s can have much more variable results with the track itself, layout, equipment, etc than #6s, but are nice and compact. I've seen the whole spectrum myself and with the club and on the unitrak list.

Have you looked at tuning the #4 points? Doing a little tweaking to each end of the blade and making a little pocket for the point of the blade in the outside rails can really help a lot! I can dig up the references if you want to try that before a tear up!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

I really don't get why Kato doesn't fix this already. They should know that this problem exists for years already.

Pauljag900

Hi gents,

Densha,yes,the feedback I m getting is that it s a common fault and I agree they should have sorted it by now.

Quetz,thanks for the links,superb,I have actually removed them now but I m going to try this fix anyway and hopefully use them in the new smaller storage yard.If I break anything then it's no big deal as I m only going to bin them anyway.

This is how it looked this morning.

post-2329-0-06983200-1463327295_thumb.jpeg

I disconnected the points from the switches and removed the two no4 points and replaced with one no6,reducing the sidings by one.this is how it looks now

post-2329-0-91479300-1463327449_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-63800000-1463327480_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-83875500-1463327502_thumb.jpeg

post-2329-0-83095500-1463327525_thumb.jpeg

As I ve just said,I m going to try this mod/repair and use them on the new smaller storage yard if successful,if not I ll just use no6 points as planned.

Need to rewire the points in and repair and ballast the station floor now,but all working just fine and NO derailments so far

• Like 3
Pauljag900

Gents,

It works!!! But I guess you already knew that? I filed the two ends of the moving piece on both sides and then bent them towards the main track piece,first one worked first time and the second needed a few goes to get it working properly,thanks for all your help.

Needless to say I ll be using mainly no6 whenever I can from now on,

Paul

• Like 1
Pauljag900

Needing more space for trains I removed a straight and fitted a point and ran the track around to the other side of the layout to create a storage area for the smaller trains.

first part of the storage yard complete which includes the two no 4 points removed from the station area having carried out the tweaking repair suggested by you gents on here,seem to work just fine now.The second half will more or less be a mirror image of this one.

post-2329-0-28439800-1463589374_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-26792900-1463589393_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-07876300-1463589419_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-31790000-1463589434_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-10591200-1463589711_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4
serotta1972

Hey Paul,

Let me check the inventory and see if I have any surplus I can send your way to put in your new rail yard.  :)

• Like 1
Pauljag900

Storage yard complete,just need one more point for the rh side which I was uncertain about but have now decided to put it in.Slightly different from the original plan due to the fact the last siding was a bit close to the edge,more importantly it was within reaching distance of little hands! I never intended to do any scenics on this area it was always going to be somewhere to park/display trains but because of the litte space at the front I ve reduced it down slightly and I m now going to fit two short platforms to the front two sidings and a small station building,probably kato 23-200'as it takes up less space than the others,a few shops and a road way will finish it offpost-2329-0-91408700-1463767919_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-37500500-1463767934_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4
serotta1972

Looks like you got room for about 8-10 trains there of 3-4 car lenghts huh. Might have some commuter trains for you.

• Like 1

Wow! I like the idea of having the yard in a separate location from the main layout, using a turnout to access. The yard takes space but is a great attention seeker as it can generate a lot of eyes attention due to the vast rolling stock lying on it. This way, the space is saved from the layout that requires more space for other details, and takes away having to pay attention to both the running trains and the parked ones in the yard.

Great idea!

Pauljag900

Hi Sammy,

I ve made no secret of the fact that I know very little about Japanese trains or the train system other than I love the design and looks of them,it has always been about model making for me.But there are just so many nice ones that I want them all! Ha ha. My original plan,as you can see from my thread,was for a single board across the back of the shed with eight trains on, 4 running and four parked in passing loops,look at it now,U shape,14 trains so far and now room for another 11! Where will it all end,I can understand now why it s so addictive! Ha ha

Paul

serotta1972

I think Sammy might be a good source to fill up your new train yard - I believe he has surplus of trains like I do.  :)

Edited by serotta1972

I heard my name?  :P

Well, I do, but not necessary classified as surplus, just 'additional' rolling stock in which the Mayor of Takahashi has 'invested' in throughout the years. I can try to speak to him, and see if any can be exported ~  :)

Pauljag900

At a bit of a standstill at the moment waiting for buildings,track and power supplies so I wired up what I could on the village area and made a start on the storage yard area.I put the roadway in as narrow as I thought I could get away with,the pavement is 6 cm deep so just enough room for a few shops,I ll cut into it for car park and bus stops once the station building is in place.Cars and fencing are only held in place by blue tac and will be replaced as and when.post-2329-0-22445000-1464153502_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-54403500-1464153539_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-64596000-1464153573_thumb.jpegpost-2329-0-11897500-1464153591_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8