Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

My favorite comment on kato's facebook page is asking if the price is for the model or a ticket on the actual train.  Not a fan of the design, so with the price I won't be buying this model for sure, but I may give in if the twilight trainset is offered. 

• Like 1

Sweet! Kato had to custom make a mould just for this train... I am thinking pre-orders will be filled up very fast!

Wonder if Tomix will come into the picture too like they did with the EVA 500?   :P

Edited by JR 500系

Wonder if Tomix will come into the picture too like they did with the EVA 500?   :P

Maybe they will make the Mizukaze or 7 stars instead. I do not want to choose again whether to pick the TOMIX or KATO version  :sad1:

How many of you guys bought one of those 500 EVA cars? Not exactly cheap either for a paint job this thing just might be a good investment in the era of fractional interest rates. look at all those windows and the angles of them.

How many of you guys bought one of those 500 EVA cars? Not exactly cheap either for a paint job this thing just might be a good investment in the era of fractional interest rates. look at all those windows and the angles of them.

I got the Tomix 500, but it was mainly for it having 2 of my favorite together, the 500 series and the EVA anime, not exactly as an investment.. Not sure about investment gains for N scale models as it wasn't exactly my intention and mainly bought them since they are nice and I like them... Probably be keeping some of them for life, one of which is the EVA 500 and the other the Suica E2... Love these painted shinkansen trains!

Not only is the model nice, the box is also nice, and the Tomix 500 EVA has its first car modelled like the real one, with the pilot game system ~

I think 6 members of jrm got the eva500. Im glad I waited for the tomix.

I'm on the fence on the shikashima. It's unique, but I'm not sure of the price... I think kato expects it to be a hot seller so price is not as much of a problem.

Jeff

Off the fence and running in the general direction of away as far as those two trains are concerned, which I guess leaves more for everyone else :D

• Like 3

I'm not so much with these special offerings... despite of the price, I think about how often such a train would be seen on the real-life counterpart of one of my layouts.

I already have two "special" trains, that is, the classical '88 style Orient Express on cruise and the E6 delivered by JRF. Currently I tend to have more common trains and wait for certain train reissues.

Nevertheless the Shikishima is a nice futuristic train. :)

Edited by medusa
  • Like 1

Now that Amazon lowered the price, I gave in as well. 

Same here! 27.000 yen is more appealing than 30.000.

Now I hope it will arrive mid-December so I can pick it up right away when I am in Japan.

Das Steinkopf

This one isn't even on my radar even though it's JR East. I think the design is, well, blech.

Agreed, when I was in Tokyo I got to see it a number of times running along the line near our hotel in Uguisudani, it's far from attractive as far as trains are concerned and I had much better things to look at such as Super Hitachi's and AE Skyliners which I could see from the bedroom window.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 4

Don't get me wrong, I love the interior aesthetic but I just feel that they should have gone for something more nostalgic for the exterior design. There's (to me) nothing about it's design that strikes me as uniquely Japanese on the exterior which I think would be a big thing for a service like this. To me even the styling of Cassiopea was borderline, aside from the locomotive it looked like something Amtrak would run.

• Like 3