What did you order or the post deliver? (HO and other scales)

bikkuri bahn

Found three 10 series sleeper coaches to finish off a full Nichinan formation. 

These 3 are coaches 1,2,3 in the formation that travel from Kyoto and were left at Oita, before the train continued on to Miyazaki with a single sleeper remaining until the train terminated at Miyakonojo.

HO-513 and 514 were from the 2014 release and are courtesy of Rails of Sheffield thanks to an eBay discount promo. You can see that they originally cost ¥7500 and ¥7800 respectively in their time. The price paid was pretty much the same and are both new with all details and decals unused. Assumedly sitting on a shelf or in someone's collection for many years.  Not sure why Rails have so many difficult to find items. Seems slightly odd ordering Japanese stock from a UK retailer to ship to Japan but these things have been either difficult to find or ridiculously expensive in Japan. The Orone 10, especially. 

IMG_3139.thumb.jpeg.f1191aec2037e3571774bf207e7c5b4a.jpeg

HO-5015 was one of the same coaches released in 2019 with the only notable difference being that the A and B sleeper decals on the side of the coach are tampo printed rather than a dry rub decal.  This one I found a lone example in Treasure Trains in Kokura. A very lucky find. 

The 10 series were plagued with issues and reasonably short lived but I’m quite fond of their styling. Seems some of the ones that weren’t scrapped went to Thailand and Egypt. 

Slightly less exciting but will still be happily received is the order placed for re-manufacturing of Tomix double coupler that I will finally be able to add to my Tenshodo Kumoru 145

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
Kamome
On 4/4/2024 at 1:48 AM, Welshbloke said:

One question though, does anyone else's MaNi 24-500 have an over-length coupler on the inner end? The gap between it and the OHaNe 25 is about twice as wide as the gaps between the other coaches, and looking closely it's definitely the MaNi which has the problem.

Sorry, didn’t respond to this before. My Mani 24-500 also has a slightly larger gap although this is also exacerbated by the blue round end and the square roof. 

IMG_3367.jpeg

Welshbloke
Posted (edited)

Yep, the different roof design does accentuate it but the coupler is definitely mounted further out compared to the gangway. Weird!

I suspect Rails probably bought someone's collection which has been slowly clearing over the past few years, they're big enough that they can pretty much turn up with a van and buy the lot if it's an estate sale or similar (and while they'll pay a pittance compared to the actual value, the idea of it being sorted that quickly and easily can be very appealing to next of kin). It's sadly not uncommon to find old models which have never been used here, people collect but never get a chance to build the layout.

Wondering if they'll try another 40% off sale as they seem to be trying to clear the decks a bit (some very good deals on O scale locos and stock in recent weeks).

Edited by Welshbloke
Beaver

From Hobby Search

Some more Model 8 Modelling Reference Books for the narrow gauge. I was surprised and delighted to find drawings and diagrams in the Kubiki Railway book since the others were photos only. I can only assume it depends on what materials the publishers are able to get hold of and get permission to use. The flat wagon diagrams were particularly welcome as it is very hard to find any information on keiben flats; admittedly flat wagons do not seem to have been that common or popular in the local railway scene.

Also a large pile of Casco HO-Narrow cases. Putting on a display at a local railway modellers group meeting recently convinced me that keeping each item in it's own little individual box and then stacking the little boxes inside bigger boxes is actually very impractical.

Posted (edited)

A Tenshodo Mani 36 Baggage coach, some Kato 4 wheelers and some Kato Kiha 80/82 including a dining car.....makes for a 10 car set now!

I also picked up a couple of Tramway JNR REM 6000 kits to build. I would like to find a couple of older wooden fridge wagons too, any ideas?

Edited by wazzd
addition
Kamome
On 5/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, Welshbloke said:

Wondering if they'll try another 40% off sale as they seem to be trying to clear the decks a bit (some very good deals on O scale locos and stock in recent weeks).

I’ll definitely keep an eye out. They have been throwing out a lot of e-marketing of late and hopefully they’ll decide to make warehouse space by shifting at lower prices. I’ve had most of the stuff from them that  I was particularly wanting, mainly 10系 coaches that have been difficult to find in Japan other than ridiculous scalper type prices. Most of the other stuff is readily available, especially the Kato stuff which is much cheaper in Japan anyway. Prices seem quite varied, some options are a little overpriced and others quite reasonable. Wonder whether they’ve looked on previous ebay sales to set their prices.