Bandai B-Train Shorty

Welshbloke

For close coupling, just build the cars with the mounting parts that have the down looking rods and use the close coupling drawbars that you get with them. This will result in a body mounted drawbar between each car that is somewhat shorter than the rapidos. You will have to remove the rapido couplers from the trucks. Personally i like the rapidos, since it's easier to couple, uncouple them, but for shorties, you can even store whole trains as a permanently coupled chain in a single box. (especially important if you wired them together for lighting)

ps: The middle cars are always in short supply and you will usually end up with more end cars than needed if you build trains longer than the basic 4 cars. (for some sets, like the 113/115, you can prototypically couple 2 4 car sets to get an 8 car set without leftover end cars)

I find the logic on some sets very odd, example, the Seibu 10000 NRA comes with two end cars and two center cars which means if you want a replica of the proto train you have to buy three boxes to make a seven car unit and this means you end up with four unusable end cars not quite as bad are the E653 units which need two boxes to make a seven car unit but again you end up with two unusable end cars.

I have only just discovered these lovely little trains but have already learned to check the proto details before I order more.

There are advised shortened shorty sets which you can make without leftover cars. For the yamanote that is exactly 4 cars long. If you want to be fully prototypical, then you need more boxes and you will have leftovers. But the logic behind this is, that who wants to be prototypical with shorties? Those few who do, will have a few extra front cars and lots of magnets and other junk...

In case of the Seibu 1000 NRA, the instructions say: 'Item includes 4 car complete formation. No need for add-on or another pack.' Which means, you should be happy with the 4 cars (cars 1,2,6,7 or Tc-M1-M4-Tc) and that you can build a 7 car set (Tc-M1-M2-T-M3-M4-Tc) is just an accident (and the fact that set 10112 has a non pantograph car 6) and it's just luck, that car 4 (which is a trailer) looks like car 3 and 6 (which is a motor) above the floor line and b train shorties don't have much in the way of underfloor equipment. (you actually build a Tc-M1-M4-M4-M1-M4-Tc set that looks like the original) So you can build a 7 car Seibu 1000 NRA B train shorty, but not because the basic set design specifically meant to allow it. As with any model, shories have certain constraints and being not prototypical in length and number of cars is usually the case.

• Like 1

True. In the end you'll have an army of front cars. I am not going for prototypical lengths. But at least half of it. So i'll have 4 cars for the yokohama line and 5 cars for the keihin-tohoku or yamanote. Just to make a difference in length and not having the same 4 car sets for everything. Maybe i'll have to buy just another set and deal with the additional front cars. Thank you guys for the infos. 

Lets see if i can catch some more of these trains during my japan trip next week ( if the wife lets me spend some time in hobby shops ;) )

• Like 1

Some new trains up for pre-order on 1999.co.jp, and assumedly elsewhere too.

De10 in the original orange/white/grey livery, and in the blue/grey/cream and new orange/grey JRF liveries.

Blue and green/grey Taki 10000s

My personal excitement generator, Ef200 + Ef210

And a new motor, specifically for diesels apparently.

• Like 1

It's been quite a while since I got anything new, but got my newest trains today.

So I guess you like the Noda... Excuse me, Tōbu Urban Park Line? ;)

So I guess you like the Noda... Excuse me, Tōbu Urban Park Line? ;)

I don't even know what it is :v

I just really like the 8000 and was itching to get one without paying like a million dollars on auction sites. I happened to like the coloring of the 10030 as well so I got it.

I like the 60000 as well. Help, this Urban Park line has hooked me and I wasn't even aware.

It's a very long line, all trains are 6-cars (nowadays), has huge variety of scenery (Tokyo Metropolitan to rural mountains), and even has a switchback station at Kashiwa (柏, かしわ; the coolest character to have on your numberplate).

It's a very long line, all trains are 6-cars (nowadays), has huge variety of scenery (Tokyo Metropolitan to rural mountains), and even has a switchback station at Kashiwa (柏, かしわ; the coolest character to have on your numberplate).

I like the sound of it, I will have to read more about it.

And I had no idea the 60000 was even made as a B-Train. They suddenly started showing up on Yahoo Auctions and I had no idea where they came from.

Now I want to know why that is a cool kanji to have on your numberplate...

Edited by Densha

Now I want to know why that is a cool kanji to have on your numberplate...

If you live west of Tokyō (the Shinagawa area), mostly the only option is to have a Adachi (足立) number plate. Lots of people don't like to be associated with this area: Shitamachi, low income, small businesses, blue collar, not osyare (stylish), so they'll gladly pay a bit more to get a different plate. On the other hand, there are also people who see the Adachi plate as a sign of local pride, as the Adachi area is also seen as high-energy, hard working, keeping up good ol' traditions and honest business.

At least, that's how it was presented on the TV when a new number plate series came out for Setagaya (世田谷). The same here with people wanting to distance themselves from Shinagawa (品川), since they don't feel like they're living in Chiyoda-ku or Minato-ku. As well here, there are people who want to keep the Shinagawa plate (which is possible), just to look more expensive.

To finish off this escapade, here is a collection of maps of numberplates in Japan: http://www.k5.dion.ne.jp/~nplate/map/index.html

• Like 1

What's also neat is apparently the 60000, along with this cool kanji, has pictures of flowers between the cars. i want a cherry blossom one, but I doubt the B-Trains would bother adding that detail.

Better late than never, here's some footage of the B-train shorty Nankai 10000 (with Bandai motor and Kato couplings on the carriages) running on Kato Unitrack:

• Like 1

My diesels and power units have not arrived yet, looking forward to seeing them.

Pre ordered the Enoden units due for re-issue later this year.

On the matter of re-issues, do Bandai have a system/time period set for re runs or is it totally random ?

On the matter of re-issues, do Bandai have a system/time period set for re runs or is it totally random ?

Good question. I am asking myself the same since i am lurking for a while after the re-issue / re-release of an 205 - Yokohama line or/and the 5050 - Toyoko line.

• Like 1

Got my DE10's, as expected lovely little locos, the power unit needs the suppressor 'tweeking' a little to get a good firm fit into the loco chassis but it runs great, bit surprised to see no weights included.