The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

Nozomi,

Welcome aboard. Dont worry at all about your English. I am English and mine leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. Disturbman is French and he has a better handle on English than i do a lot of the time!!!!! :grin

Darren

That's clearly not true and you now it. But thanks anyway.  :grin

Welcome Nozomi, it's allways good to have new fellow Europeans here even if, sometimes, the language can be a though barrier to break.

BTW, did you purchase the Arnold Renfe ICE?  If you do, how do you uncouple them?

Leo

Hi Leo,

Nice to meet another highspeed addict. I purchased the Arnold AVE 103 and the only way I found out was to tear forcefully. That uncouples the cars. My retailer told me he that he always uses this less than elegant way to uncouple. I did it this way a few times .... it doesn't seem to be harmful. If you can find out another way let me know. This is not advise!!! Just to let you know that you're the only one who guesses about this stupid coupling system.

Nozomi

Nozomi - Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your video. What editing program are you using?

Hi Bernard,

I use Windows Movie Maker. It's part of the Windows Vista package. I used it the first time to cut that youtube video of the 500 and E4 Series Shinkansen. It's very easy to use. I didn't bother with the sound but you can if you wish.

Nozomi

Hi

Pretty much a novice in N guage modelling- basically I didn't like the idea of modern image British outline- I go to work on these every day, steam eara- always looks a bit twee- esp GWR branch line, European N is v expensive- and I've always been fascinated by Japan- so when I saw teh quality of teh kato models I thought lets merge my interest in model railways with Japan

I've got a couple of trains form Wellington models who do s/h stuff, now just need to start a simple layout- circa 2'6" * 5'.

Hoping for hints and tips and inspiration from this group.

CaptOblivious

Hello toxteth

I think 'twee' is exactly the word that many of us are searching for to describe model railroading culture in our home countries. It's certainly the case here in the US. Of course, by the time my layout is done, my daughter (currently 14 months old) may think the same thing of it! "Dad, that's so 2005!" :D

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Welcome Toxteth!

glad to hear you have found the high coolness factor and high bang for the buck of japanese N scale! it really is fun and very very versatile in what you can do. there are prototypes for all sorts of strange things you might want to model in japan! definitely not boring and very, very fun! hey were else can you have a 24th century looking train flying past a 300 yr old temple! lots of fun buildings, figures, vehicles, and parts to choose from and a dizzying array of trains and lots coming out all the time. enjoy and keep folks posted on what you do, always interesting to see someone else's take on things!

cheers

jeff

ps don yikes that is time flying very very fast, but for you im sure its even faster! can we say gimme the car keys dad?!

hey were else can you have a 24th century looking train flying past a 300 yr old temple!

Maybe in Europe or China?!  :grin

well in japan it will go 'right' by it! china has the space to put the trains in more convent places and europe is good about hiding the train tracks more. japan you can get away with a shinkansen line running right past a high rise! and sorry, IMHO (ill get a shoe thrown at me for sure) japan has the edge in having the more futuristic looking trains... (ok toss away, ducking!)  :blob3:

cheers

jeff

No, no shoes. Maybe a power pack. :p Seriously, I don't find japanese more futuristic looking than other trains. Their design are a bit unique for sure but, futuristic? No, not so much. The exception being this new sleek and awfully painted E5. It really looks like it's coming from the 24th century. But I'm quite certain is very reflective body play a big role in this impression.

As for the rest, sure, in Japan you can see more crazy integration but that comes from the very geographical nature of Japan, there is not enough urbanisable land to build elsewhere. And Europe has certainly a more conservative thinking about cityscape than Japan. We love to keep "old things" and "protect" the landscape but that's mostly coming from the trauma that modern urbanism created after WWII. None the less you can still see some bullet trains rocketed pass some nice medieval, or younger piece, of architecture.

Hi, my name is Buck Heard and I live in Huntsville, AL USA.  I'm a big fan of trains and have collected them all my life.  Today I bought my first N-Scale set ( Tarumi Railway Diesel Locomotives Type TDE10 - 2 Engines Set (Limited Edition) - Tomix 92949 )  and am looking forward to starting a new layout.  My wife and I are heading to Japan late next year and I hope to ride the Shinkansen and maybe pickup some more trains while we're there.  You've got a great site here.  I look forward to hearing from other Japanese railroaders/collectors.  Thanks for having me...

Buck - Welcome to the JNS. Glad to have you aboard. The trip to Japan will be a lot of fun and their are members here that can recommend places for you and your wife to visit. The guys here look forward to your posts.

Hi, my name is Buck Heard and I live in Huntsville, AL USA.  I'm a big fan of trains and have collected them all my life.  Today I bought my first N-Scale set ( Tarumi Railway Diesel Locomotives Type TDE10 - 2 Engines Set (Limited Edition) - Tomix 92949 )  and am looking forward to starting a new layout.  My wife and I are heading to Japan late next year and I hope to ride the Shinkansen and maybe pickup some more trains while we're there.  You've got a great site here.  I look forward to hearing from other Japanese railroaders/collectors.  Thanks for having me...

Yay, a fellow Southerner, finally! I'm from Starkville, MS (but currently reside in St Louis). Where in Huntsville—hell, where in Alabama—did you find that set? My guess: You didn't ;D Also, what drew you to that set? It's an interesting on, to be sure!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Welcome Buck!

Glad you found japanese trains and the forum as well! You started with a nice little set of engines ( :grin have that set myself!) I think you will find that japanese train modeling will give you a great variety of trains to collect and scenes to model and at a relative bargain to boot! Traveling to japan is wonderful and one of the easiest places to get around and enjoy yourselves! Finding the hobby shops there can be tricky at times (many are just a doorway to a tiny place, but usually stacked to the ceiling with trains!), but really rewarding and you can find some odder things that are hard to get from the usual online sources from japan. You can get a huge amount of stuff online, though, pretty easily and affordably from japan.

enjoy!

cheers

jeff

Hi guys,

I was looking at that set online at Newhall Station but couldn't afford the price they had it at.  I checked my old pal ebay and found it for less than half.  I picked it because I liked the design and color schemes.  I'm a big Shinkansen fan so a series 0 will probably be my next purchase.  Hey Cteno how well does that set perform?  Any info on them would be appreciated. 

I love Japan and it's culture so I can't wait to experience it firsthand.  I can't wait to see what treasures await me in Akihabara. 

What online sources do you guys buy your stuff from?

I was looking at that set online at Newhall Station but couldn't afford the price they had it at.  I checked my old pal ebay and found it for less than half.  I picked it because I liked the design and color schemes.  I'm a big Shinkansen fan so a series 0 will probably be my next purchase.  Hey Cteno how well does that set perform?  Any info on them would be appreciated. 

Sadly, if it uses the same mechanism as the Tomix DE10 model, it is likely noisy and rough :( That mechanism is one of Tomix's rare disappointments. That said, you will likely find it eons better than many "good" American or European mechanisms! We call 'em "Ol' Growly" 'round here.

Have a look here:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,600.0.html

Hi Buck, welcome!

My two favourite sources:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/

Pros: always up to date, fast service. good prices, another 5 % off if you use point system (for next order). pre-orders work perfectly

Cons: only EMS parcel service, seems to be quite a big oragnisation with strict rules. I asked them once to send me a copy of Japan Railfan Magazine which they have on offer and use a cheaper way of sending it. NOT possible altough I ordered a dozen trains sets this year.

http://tokyo-rail.com/index.php?main_page=index&language=en

Pros: flexible approach to customer service, seems to be small organisation (maybe even just a one man show). With my last order I received a DVD of an hour long TV-programm about Keikyu electric Railway which the manager of the shop included as a gift. I also received a printed JR Timetable which I found very useful for planning. Most importantly: you can choose different kinds of shipping speeds and costs. Paypal available

Cons: sells at suggested retail price...

http://tokyo-rail.com/index.php?main_page=index&language=en

Pros: flexible approach to customer service, seems to be small organisation (maybe even just a one man show). With my last order I received a DVD of an hour long TV-programm about Keikyu electric Railway which the manager of the shop included as a gift. I also received a printed JR Timetable which I found very useful for planning. Most importantly: you can choose different kinds of shipping speeds and costs. Paypal available

Cons: sells at suggested retail price...

Pros: He's an active and helpful member of the forum! But now we're getting off topic ;)

Hi guys,

I love Japan and it's culture so I can't wait to experience it firsthand.  I can't wait to see what treasures await me in Akihabara. 

Buck,

I am glad to see you persevered and found the correct and reasonable prices for japanese trains. I truly worry that Newhall Station's prices may kill a budding hobbyist's interest in japanese trains as they come up high in searches and thus are the first prices they may see. also many folks scared of trying to order from japan or ebay, when both can be great sources for japanese trains!

ill send you my personal buyers guide off-list.

cheers

jeff

Thanks for everything guys.  I can't wait to dive into this thing.  Little disappointed about the performance issues with the locomotives I bought but I'll try to stay positive!  I look forward to being a part of the community.

Martijn Meerts

Thanks for everything guys.  I can't wait to dive into this thing.  Little disappointed about the performance issues with the locomotives I bought but I'll try to stay positive!  I look forward to being a part of the community.

There's quite a bit of difference between performance of 1 loco compared to another, even from the same brands.

If you want an incredibly smooth running loco, have a look at Kato's EF58-61. It's the old imperial locomotive. It runs smoother than most H0 scale loco's I've seen, and it looks good too ;)

Tomix's DD51's are generally amazing runners as well, as are most MicroAce steam locomotives.