The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

CaptOblivious

Ash, welcome! Glad to have you with us. Is your EH500 a Kato or a Tomix? I'm thinking about buying one, but I'm not sure which one I want. Also, mind if I ask what "EWS60008" refers to? Sounds like a train of some kind…

Darren Jeffries

Oh well, i was half way there! I only had a vague recollection of one!

This is the loco I always think about when i hear "EWS":

[smg id=537]

Hi Everyone,

My name is Graham, a Welshman and now Canadian living in (currently) sunny Nova Scotia, Canada, have a beautiful supportive wife and a fantastic 2 yr old Daughter(who of course loves trains, and helicopters(??)).  I'm an Academic Chair at a local community college with Applied Arts and Business schools.  I've been an N-scale modeler since I was a boy in the U.K. and have found over the years that I love all trains.  As such I've (tried) to build British, European and North American layouts and have collected a fair number of trains as a result.  I've always had a soft spot for overhead electric and fast passenger trains, and on a visit home went to the NRM at York, saw the Series 0 Shinkansen they have there and fell in love (again).  At the same time I got sick of never running trains (I hate track laying) and had recently started to switch to unitrack which only accelerated my research into modeling Japanese trains.  I've found unitrack an absolute boon, I've run more in the last 6 months than I have in the last 2 decades.

I'm currently working on a small (3 x 6) British layout and have started a larger around the room 10x12 layout that I intend to make Japanese.  I'm sure progress will be very slow but but still faster than the glacial progress I've made with North American modeling.

In that vain, I'm just waiting for my very first Japanese train to arrive, a Kato Series 0  (I had to start at the beginning :) and can't wait for it to arrive!

Nice to meet everyone

Graham

Ooops!!

sorry this should have gone in the intro thread!.. could the moderator move it please!!

Graham

Graham - Welcome to the Forum and you're right I make a bet Vincent will move it, but I answer here for the time being. The O series is a real nice train congratulations. Why don't you start your own thread in Personal Project, and share the development of your 6'x3' layout. Members here love looking at layouts and it gives them ideas for their own set ups.

Have fun and enjoy!

@ Bernard: I'm not sur Graham owns the 0 Series he has seen in the National Railway Museum.  :grin It's quite a large train (actually you saw it allready in my Banners attempt).

24_15_53---National-Railway-Museum--York_web.jpg

I missed a point at the end too. Sorry Bernard.

Welcome home Graham.  :cool:

Edit: Topic merged as requested.  :grin

CaptOblivious

Welcome Graham! I'm an American visiting Brisbane just now, but my wife and I are thinking of making our next vacation Nova Scotia; My ancestors were kicked out of the region (Acadia at the time), and dispersed, in my case, to Louisiana (Acadian = "Cajun"), and I'd love to visit up there and connect with my roots. Again, welcome and glad to have you!

Hey Cap'n

Nova Scotia is a very pretty province and the Acadian heritage is really quite strong here, there are quite a few French speaking areas especially on the south shore and out in the Annapolis Valley (not to mention a couple of vinyard visits! :).  And of course New Brunswicks just a couple of hours drive away which is where most of the Acadians settled.  Now I need to send an invoice to Tourism Nova Scotia so they can give me more money for Japanese trains!  :grin  Anyhow.. its good to be aboard here!

Graham

Hello to everyone

I began my layout about 6 years ago.  At the time I was a long-time slot car guy and wanted to transition into something that would slow me down a bit (in more ways than one!).

My layout is a 10' x 6' L-shaped affair and, after six years, I would say is about 30% complete.  In retrospect, I probably should have tackled something smaller.  I enjoy detailing probably a bit too much and projects take longer than I often anticipate.  I can actually see myself modeling dioramas or other smaller modules and being very happy.

At any rate, please check out my flickr site for photos of my layout:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbloes/collections/72157619744256387/

Cheers!

Mike Bloes

welcome to JNS Mike, I took a trip to check out photos of the stuff you've done boy I'm blown away. I really like that overhead station you created, top notch work keep posting pics, hey Mike do you have any videos of your layout?

Mike Welcome to the forum......that is a lot of work you have put into you layout. It has a lot of detail to it!

Great layout. Are you running DC or DCC?

Mudkip Orange

At any rate, please check out my flickr site for photos of my layout

Color me impressed.

Track plan is spiff (I like how you bring the local track up to be part of a four-track station with the Shinkansen), I like how you repurposed that NuLine/NuComp tiltup warehouse as the KAMIGUMI warehouse, and you got the density and narrow streets of a Japanese residential area just PERFECT. Scenes like that are why I haven't completely given up scenery here.

Mike,

welcome, glad you found your way here!

Mike is a very talented modeler (and great guy), creating some great little scenes he has shared with us on jrforum over the years! check out what he just did with the new greenmax modular building kit to make his shinjuku station. also love his corner store with wonderful details he did from an ref photo.

cheers

jeff

ps whoops i guess i dropped the link on this, thanks for catching it serenityfan!

DSCF5824

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments about my layout.

Answering the questions:

The layout is partially DCC'd.  If you look at the track plan, the single track loop is dcc'd while the double track elevated loop is analog.

And I have not made any videos yet of the action.

Thanks

MB

alpineaustralia

Excellent stuff mate. I have a number of these buildings (especially the Greenmax ones) but in their "raw" states. I love the way you have weathered them and incorporated them into context.  This has inspired me to weather and highlight my buildimgs Well done!!

Hi, I'm Joe.  I live in Shallowater, Texas, near the New Mexico border.  While I do some On30 and occasionally HO (on the club layout), I am primarily N.  I formerly did N-Trak (back in the Dark Ages) but now I use TTrak modules for ease of transport ans setup.

I was pointed to this list bu a member who noticed that I am considering a bash of overhead stations.  I see that one is being done here.  It'll be good to have a look and swap ideas on this before I destroy something.

Hopefully, a home (permanent?) layout is in the foreseeable future.  The club (Lubbock Model Railroad Assoc.) is scheduled to host the Lone Star Region convention  of the NMRA in 2011, so there's a definite deadline.

Now to clean out the allocated space.

And, I tend to ramble.

Joe

Hi from Melbourne,

My handle is crocky and I am retired due to a medical condition, had a Stroke about seven and a half years ago and nothing on the right hand side of me works :) but I am alive.

I have been fooling around with N-Scale for couple of months and really like the gear that I have so far, I run NCE Power Cab and the layout will be built on the blank door. I am in the throws of moving at present so it will be sometime before I can really give the railway the type of attention it will be needing.

Engines so far are Challenger with sound, Atlas diesel without sound, FP45 with sound and Thomas without a decoder (that is for the grand kids). The decoder has been ordered for it thanks to this board :)

I have also some other stuff but this lot will do for now....

Cheers,

Bob 

crocky - Welcome to the JNS forum and as soon as I saw your post in the "Thomas the Tank Engine decoder install" I figured there must be a child involved.  :grin

How do you like the NCE system?

I'm sorry to hear about you stoke but it's good to see that you're still active especially with trains. I look forward to your future posts.

serenityFan

Mike is a very talented modeler (and great guy), creating some great little scenes he has shared with us on jrforum over the years! check out what he just did with the new greenmax modular building kit to make his shinjuku station.

Just saw the pics on flickr, for those who haven't had a chance to browse here is a link to make life easier:

DSCF5824

Mike, wow!  :grin Have to tell us how you did this one....

crocky - Welcome to the JNS forum and as soon as I saw your post in the "Thomas the Tank Engine decoder install" I figured there must be a child involved.  :grin

How do you like the NCE system?

I'm sorry to hear about you stoke but it's good to see that you're still active especially with trains. I look forward to your future posts.

I have four grand children and the all love Thomas :)

The NCE system is really nice, I did a fair amount of research before I decided on it. Joe Fugate's articles tended to sway me a bit towards it too..

Like I said, I am still alive :)

Cheers,

Bob

alpineaustralia
Thomas without a decoder (that is for the grand kids).

I have four grand children and the all love Thomas :)

Sure Crocky. Sure.  Now tell us the truth... You really are a Thomas fan arent you? come you can admit it... We'll keep it amongst us Aussies.

Hi!

I'm Massimo from Italy

(sorry for my bad English)

38YO, happily single (only a fool goes with the laws that are there in italy ;-), a little bit expert about Shinkansen (real and scale models), ready and happy to share my infos whit all people that love bullet trains

I'm a pizzaiolo (I cook original italian pizza) now after 15 years that I was a Sysadmin (I gain much money cooking pizza compared whit adminstering 60-70 server)

ciao

Massimo