Kato uses different engines for French and Japanese bullet trains - why ?

alain10025

Hi,

In a previous post on this forum, I mentioned that the newly developed Kato slotless motor was not compatible with Kato French bullet trains (as well as other Kato European trains I bet but I did not confirm that yet). Here is a depiction of the Kato engine used in these trains.

Yesterday, I opened my Kato JR700S Nozomi Shinkansen and realized that its engine was, contrary to that of the French TGV I have, the exact same dimension as the new Kato slotless motor (which is significantly smaller and slightly longer than the motor in the French TGV).

I was able to replace the JR700S engine with a slotless motor, it now runs great and has a much better behaviour at low speed. 

One question though: why in the world would the engines in the Kato French bullet trains be so different from those in the Japanese bullet trains ??

Kato been producing trains for a long time. Wouldn't surprise me at all that there are variations. It could also be licensing, design or EU restrictions.

Edited by bill937ca
3 hours ago, alain10025 said:

Why in the world would the engines in the Kato French bullet trains be so different from those in the Japanese bullet trains ??

Why not? DCC came late in the day for KATO, some would say it still hasn't. Developments in five segment motors for the US outline market and phasing out older three segment motors and their compatibility with DCC have now produced five segment motors compatible with DCC for US, European and Japanese markets. Given they have a large range of models they won't all have the new motor until all their injection moldings are revised and renewed. Some probably wont be.

Market economics = new development, why wouldn't they have different motors over time? 😉

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/LayoutElectricity/ModelTrainPower/TypicalDCMotors/

23 minutes ago, Doddy said:

why wouldn't they have different motors over time?

Exactly, over time, it makes sense but when I consider the Kato TGV 10-1529 (released in 2020) and the Kato Shinkansen JR700S (also released in 2020 I believe) it seems odd to me to see two different motors. I understand the molding of the TGV 10-1529 may be inherited from older models but still... Since Kato has been developping its new slotless motors for many years, it would appear natural to have a more homogeneous lineup in terms of motor so that the new slotless motor can be used for all models.

Anyway, thank you very much for the link ! From what I can see, Kato put in its European models the north american motor...

Given the TGV was released almost two decades ago as the TGV-Sud Est and Eurostar and IF Kato has not revised the chassis/motor up to and including the TGV-Reseau you mention, then it would have the same motor.

I fail to understand your reasoning, particularly when the reasons have been explicitly given.

Old chassis vs new chassis.

If an new model still runs a older chassis, it will still use an older motor. Manufacturers do this to keep development costs down.

Not all models fit the new spotless motor.