A rookie mistake... with Kato slotless motors 11-503-A

alain10025

Hello,

I have been very enthusiastic about the new Kato slotless motor and I purchased a couple of them on Hobbysearch. More precisely, I ordered the Kato motor 11-503-A. Order was smooth and delivery prompt... But... I have a problem. 

Indeed, my initial plan was to use these slotless motors in some of my Kato trains, in particular for high speed trains such as, for instance the TGV 10-1529 (réseau duplex). After all, the product is advertised on the website as "This product is compatible with motors with flywheels.".

However, after receiving the motors, I quickly realized they are slightly smaller than those in my TGVs... And I am left wondering what I can do with these motors... I feel a bit silly but I also believe somebody else could make the same mistake so I come here searching for confort / redemption and mostly ideas ! Thank you !

Edited by alain10025

Here is a small update, I start finding descriptions online about the slotless motor. Notably, here, (section "smooth operator) is a picture of the slotless motor beside the classic GM-3 motor. It seems clear that there is a difference between the dimensions of both motors... which explains the slotless motor may not be directly used in some setups, such as the TGV I was mentioning in my previous post... Kind of weird as, again, the motor is advertised on Hobbysearch as compatible with flywheels motors (such as, I assumed - wrongly, the GM-3...).

Anyway... if anyone finds a way to put on of these slotless motors in a TGV, I would be greatly interested !!

alain10025

Thank you for your response. I can confirm that the size of the GM-3 (assuming it is indeed a GM-3 motor that is used inside Kato's GV) and 11-503-A are different, the 11-503-A is a bit smaller indeed. Thank you for the list !