What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

8 hours ago, railsquid said:

Stores I mainly "patrol" are Hobbyland Pochi 1 ~ 3, Poppondetta, and Liberty.

Thank  you for the information. Some more shops to check when I go to Japan. 😁

Yes it is a Tomix,,one has to watch pricing on them,,,  I paid 13.88 us for it, Have seen it as high as 60.00 us,, I wanted the gray but it was sold out,#4025, so I went with the white, he only had three of them left so I grabbed one,

Ordered from Hobby Search. 

I think you can probably tell that I am fighting a war on multiple fronts here...

1. Casco YP-305 Pipe Fence (Silver/2 Sheets) (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 Diorama Parts, Q.T.Y: 2
2. Kato 23-063 Unitrack Double Track Wide Rahmen Catenary Poles (6pcs.) (Model Train) N Scale Track, Q.T.Y: 3
3. Rokuhan R045 (Z) Classic Track (Wooden Design Ties) Straight Rail Without Trackbed 110mm (2pcs) (Model Train) Z Scale,1/220 Track
4. Tomytec 284895 The Truck Collection Building Site Truck Set B (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 The Truck Collection

1 came into stock recently at HS, and I really liked the look of it. From reading around (thanks to @Tony Galianifor donating some British magazines!) I have become increasingly aware that train lines need to have boundaries, and if all goes well this is going to be my default fence.

2 I felt like it was finally time to try the noodles. There are many styles available, but this is the one that reminds me most strongly of British Rail catenary supports. This experiment may end badly, given the amount of single track, and everything up to 8-track sections I've got, but for now I will just make my mainline loop electrified.

3 is (as astute observers will recall) part of my plan for the coal mine. Z gauge track is a plausible narrow gauge railway on a 1:150 layout. I probably won't find any good looking coal cars to run on this track (because who makes N scale narrow gauge wagons anyway?) but it will still look good, I think, running from the coal mine to the depot.

4 I've had my eye on this for a while, and I decided that I need better trucks than my existing selection when it comes to carrying miscellaneous freight. I plan on setting up an unloading scene in front of the train repair plant, and I want a flatbed truck to make that work. Currently I only have army trucks.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

- Railsquid places fire-and-forget bid on cheapish Tomix Twilight Express set, because Rule 1 and it's a nice colour

- Railsquid feels vaguely guilty about winning bid because it's not an essential item

- Set arrives

- Surprisingly it turns out the coaches all have Tomix close couplings fitted

- More surprisingly, when power is applied to the track, they all light up (this is the 3rd or 4th time I've had that happen)

49487349688_77867f8fda_z.jpg

Tomix Twighlight Express with EF81 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

49488054982_897274f55f_z.jpg

Tomix Twighlight Express with EF81 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Can't complain :D

• Like 16
  • Haha 3
Das Steinkopf

A few weeks ago I decided to sell off my rather large LEGO train collection, I had spent over a decade building a fleet for my fictitious LBB network. Whilst  I had enjoyed building the collection over the years I came to the decision that I no longer had the time nor motivation to continue, not to mention the space, that said I got a nice chunk of money for it, some of which I will reinvest into my Japanese N scale and British OO scale stock. My first purchase of N scale gear is a mixed bag, by chance the full range of Nippon Soda U19A’s became available on back order at Hobby Search and I jumped at the chance to complete my collection of them as I had been after them for the last 4 years. With Kobaru now gone out of business I decided to complete my collection of their road marking decals, I had no desire to get the yellow markings before but decided that it might be best to get them now because guaranteed when I do need them they will no longer be available. I also decided to get some Kato controllers and switches for my Unitrack, I was using a Gaugemaster Model D before but have now decided to keep that purely for my British stock, whilst at the same time get the full utility of Unitrack using the Kato gear.

3789B6ED-3045-422F-8989-B72AF62120B6.jpeg

• Like 13

Just in from Plaza Japan, half dozen boxes of Shorty Freight Trucks.  When a more recent order from them arrives which includes a couple of train storage cases and a 7th box of freight trucks, then we'll assemble the fleet of KoKi and TaKi.

6BoxesTrucksF.jpeg

• Like 4

After a few too many beers last night the train elves sent me a Hobby Search email full of "bargains" Many of you may have received it as well being a Friday night and a time of inebriated weakness.

I woke this morning to an inbox of confirmation emails from PayPal and HS, and a vague memory of Mrs.Trod saying "don't you buy any trains, you don't need them".

Not sure what l bought but they look nice.

The Railway Collection Enshu Railway Type 2000 (30th Anniversary of Foundation Yutaka Giken Co., Ltd. Wrapping Train) Two-Car Set B (2-Car set) (Model Train). By Tomytec

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10454212/20/1

J.R. Diesel Train Type KIHA40-500 (Renewed Car/Oga Line) (T) (Model Train). By Tonic.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10472915/20/3

And l just added the rural freight platform set. It's only money.

I think the Tomytec Type 2000 set is an unpowered static model. One for the work desk l suppose.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Trod, 

you can motorize the Tomytec trains with their mechs and wheel sets sold separately

this one takes these to turn it into a runner

TM-12R N-Gauge Power Unit For Railway Collection, For 19m Class A
TT-04R The Parts for Convert to Trailer (Wheel Diameter 5.6mm, Coupler: Gray) (for 2-Car)
[ 0245 ] Pantograph Type PS35B (2 Pieces)

cheers

jeff

Hey a couple of IPAs and they can easily get ordered! I’ve learned the hard way not to drink and order from japan... funny I don’t do that from amazon.com.

tomytecs convert well and are decent quality and usually a little cheaper than the regular RTR models and many interesting models not done in RTR models.

cheers, (maybe wrong greeting for this as I sip my cognac and avoid Japanese sites.) 

jeff

Thanks to Jeff I'm also waiting on the aforementioned components to complete the Tomytec model.

No more liquid HS.

$175 AUD plus GST plus postage. 

Fun times.

Edit. $245!!!!

Edited by TRod
  • Haha 2

Another small package today.  With modifications, including a large central plaza, the Pedestrian Deck will serve as the front entrance to Mito Station.  Some tanker trucks to meet the Takis at the small oil depot.

In other news, trying out ZenMarket this weekend to compare and contrast with Buyee for using Yahoo Auction Japan, whee.

PedXing.JPG

• Like 9
Claude_Dreyfus

I can't remember the last time I bought a Kato book set - it has been a few years.

There are a few models I am keeping an eye out for, mainly to fill the remaining gaps of my Chuo/Shinonoi lines fleet. The most glaring being the JR Central 383 'Wide View Shinano'. I've been after one of these for years, particularly since I travelled on one between Matsumoto and Nagano back in 2014, so was happy to see a base and add-on set available at an on-line shop I usually use for German H0 (Contikits).

One quick email later, and following the changing hands of a very modest sum (particularly as my recent interest has been German H0), I have a Wide View Shinano in captivity.

A test run at the club on Friday night confirmed it was in excellent working order...  

Shinano.thumb.jpg.64d487264efe62aec07f6d74bd596437.jpg

1388608105_Shinano2.thumb.jpg.87fe503e4a95ed203ddac5a13e97cba1.jpg

I've really got to build the layout for it to go on now!

• Like 17
14 hours ago, TRod said:

Thanks to Jeff I'm also waiting on the aforementioned components to complete the Tomytec model.

No more liquid HS.

Fun times.

That AUD conversion rate is a killer right now.

I’m waiting on some stuff from HS: a couple of packs of Kato interior lighting units, some figures (passengers and station staff), some Kato couplers for my coaches, a Tomytec level crossing set , a pair of Kato Tora 45000s and a Tomix Yo 5000 to go behind my D51.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:53 PM, railsquid said:

- Railsquid places fire-and-forget bid on cheapish Tomix Twilight Express set, because Rule 1 and it's a nice colour

- Railsquid feels vaguely guilty about winning bid because it's not an essential item

- Set arrives

- Surprisingly it turns out the coaches all have Tomix close couplings fitted

- More surprisingly, when power is applied to the track, they all light up (this is the 3rd or 4th time I've had that happen)

"Yes, I did it again..."

The real reason why I place the bid on the above was because I was after the below:

49510545252_6e5d734fd3_z.jpg

MicroAce E257-500 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which - at this point I am only half-surprised - lit up along its entire length the moment power was applied.

Judging by the labels applied to the case of both sets, they came from the same previous owner, who was evidently a fan of interior lighting.

The reason I "need" this ostensibly Chiba-based set is quite simple:

(Sibling set of the model operating a Kaiji service on the Chuo Line)

• Like 8
On 2/8/2020 at 9:57 PM, TRod said:

Paying GST on low-value items bought overseas really pisses me off. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Another lot of Kato unitrack and a power pack as well. Unfortunately the curved radius that I was looking for was wrong. Some issues with the seller (he is currently out of the country), his wife and her ''being clueless about trains" (his words!). I almost sent this back but I do like having another bridge, more straights and I needed another power pack. I am having a hard time finding a good deal on the largest radius double track curves (480mm - 447mm). Maybe I can find some when I visit Japan next month. Cheers! 🙃

438016839_katotrack.thumb.jpg.06de508162e85731475833bd855e1bec.jpg 

• Like 5

Folks, 

This Tuesday morning, 10th Feb, the postie turned up with a box from Hobby Search, posted in Tokyo on the 5th., EMS delivery,

Not yet opened, it will be an Amagi Modelling N scale card station.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Like 1

Here’s A bunch of stuff I bought from various places in Japan during my forced sojourn there last year. Included is the aforementioned D51 (from Amazon Japan) along with some goods vans and assorted other accessories from a couple of hobby shops in Kumamoto.

C34999BB-4BDA-487C-861A-975B9384B0FA.jpeg

• Like 6

And another HS order late last year. Some more goods wagons for the D51 and the add-on set for the 253 series Narita Express. Oh, and a couple of Sanko buses for Kumamoto local colour.

22DEE20E-8918-421D-AD96-7789136B0A98.jpeg

Edited by Tanuki
Additional information
  • Like 6

Just about done with a small bidding spree on Yahoo Auction Japan to try out Zenmarket to compare with Buyee that I used with their promotion last month.

Searching in Japanese is essential.  Using Hobby Search's item pages, flipping them from English to Japanese, then copying and pasting the key part of item names works a charm.

Right now, I'm hoping a couple of people in Japan receive their orders in the next day or so and leave some positive feedback right away.  There's a new seller listing a Tomytec JR Bus Kanto minibus, but Zenmarket has blocked bidding on that because the seller has less than 5 positive feedback.  It's gone from 2 on Saturday to 3 on Sunday, still waiting for 2 more before the auction for the bus ends.  Jumping back to Buyee for this one item would run up a lot of extra fees.