What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Forget about young people getting involved in the hobby at that price.

They can alway buy Tomix or Tomytec sets and even Kato. The rest of the manufacturers are only after the really serious adults anyway. Otherwise i would be interested in a howto about motor replacement between various brands, but that's rather off in this topic.

nothing fancy

but is the first order i got to take in picture before was riding my tracks ;)

others deliveries where faster running than my camera could catch them :)

so i got a tram, my first one, tracks adapter and a oil freigth car..

post-3119-0-64000500-1434565999_thumb.jpg

Yes, i also have this nice tram. Not 100% prototypical, but a similar one ran in Nagasaki and there is even a monorail with the same ad.  :)  (the latter is unfortunately not available in N scale)

i simply buyed it for the chicken noodles ;)

i love how japanese draw animals everywhere and funny ones..so i'm sure is only the first..

i simply buyed it for the chicken noodles ;)

i love how japanese draw animals everywhere and funny ones..so i'm sure is only the first..

Same reason why I bought that tram too ! :)

normally i'd wait until microace made a set, but, honestly, if they are asking 33,000yen plus for a simple 10-000 Toei set now, I can't see ever buying from them ever again.  And I say this as somebody who, well, is fortunate enough to be in a reasonably comfortable position.   Forget about young people getting involved in the hobby at that price.

Completely agreed. MicroAce is looking like a company that is seeking to destroy itself slowly and steady. The good thing is that Kato is jumping into the MicroAce nisches, as well as Greenmax improving on their power units! Also, young people do get involved in the hobby here in Japan, don't worry about that! ;)

Guest keio6000

Completely agreed. MicroAce is looking like a company that is seeking to destroy itself slowly and steady. The good thing is that Kato is jumping into the MicroAce nisches, as well as Greenmax improving on their power units! Also, young people do get involved in the hobby here in Japan, don't worry about that! ;)

i'm glad about your positive attitude, though it doesn't match my observations based on being in hobby stores in japan for 30+ years.  for one, i think japansee train manufacturers are really, really cutting off young people by not having really gone digital as a core strategy.  find me a kid who wants to look at some obscure website to wire a turnout.   it's particularly stupid, since we all know the amortized cost of digital would have added nearly zero to the entire range of products and that dcc is particularly the right way to go when it comes to the sort of temporary ad-hoc layouts that japanese young kids like to do (get together in a room after school and build a temporary layout using unitrack and each kid brings their own trains).

speaking of stupid, i just placed an order today for some of the same stuff i had in my hands in japan a month ago and declined to buy, with the only slight asterisk that i wanted to get them to my place in eastern europe which i just did (having them shipped directly) rather than having to bring them here to britain and then schlepp them to ukraine.  the products are the Kato Keihin tohoku 233 and the Tokyu 5050.  Both excellent kato stuff.

I note that i also had the kato E3 in my hands in tokyo where there was a very nice shopkeeper at volks akihabara (not a big train section, but they (along with nariichi-san) will get more of my money in the future since he is much nicer than some of the asocial weirdos or arbeito-so-dont-care guys in other places.)   i was all set to buy it but I did something that i rarely do - i agreed to the pre-purchase inspection.  Let's just put it this way - it was the first train I ever put back based on quality and when i politely demurred saying something about how i think i'll wait for the tomix instead he said something like "honestly, you made the smart decision."  high praise indeed from a japanese shopkeeper :). 

enodenlover

The other day I sent an order to Hobby Search consisting of the just reissued Tomii Electric Ry. 12m class EMU from Tomytec, a TM-05R power unit, a pair of PG 16 pantographs and a replacement for the Ichibata Ry. series 3000 train that I got just a couple of weeks ago. A lesson I learned the hard way: keep your liquid plastic solvent far, far, far away from your trains and other beloved goodies. :( :( :(

most of times the seller especifies "Junk" by the some marks in the paint, a bad motor or he/she is a seller but not a train expert seller only does a visual inspection not a runner/light condition of the Train or Set

Hi Erick,

But I saw some items on Yahoo Auction or HobbyLand, the seller specified the details of items condition from A to J for example.. and I ever saw one, old controllers, through direct sight it was completely rubbish and the seller specified J.. I thought it can't be used anymore but seller still wanted to sell.. :)

Guest keio6000

Hi Erick,

But I saw some items on Yahoo Auction or HobbyLand, the seller specified the details of items condition from A to J for example.. and I ever saw one, old controllers, through direct sight it was completely rubbish and the seller specified J.. I thought it can't be used anymore but seller still wanted to sell.. :)

quick translation guide:

yahoo japan:  grade "F, poor condition" = ebay uk = "Used" = ebay usa "like new."

i sometimes buy built plastic models of various sorts.  in the usa,sellers have no shame about describing the absolute childish amatuer works as "pro built" while in japan obviously expert built work is apologized with "it may be dirty or imperfect i beg your apology" notes.

i once contacted a usa seller who was selling a total piece of junk built model as "pro built" - his answer "well, am selling it therefore it is not amateur and therefore pro built."

• Like 1

I see a lot of "pro weathered" items on UK Ebay where the "pro" evidently has a recognised Mud Dipping qualification.

• Like 1

Usually there are some 'kit built' items on the UK ebay, that are clearly botched up home made mods. The idea is that the seller wants to get back some of the money he paid for the original rolling stock, despite that the modification attempt was a failed one. Then there are the sellers who buy broken or damaged items in wholesale transactions, sell the good parts for a high price, then weather the damaged ones to hide any problems. The amount of weathering is usually consistent with the extent of the damage that it has to cover up.

• Like 1

Latest arrival is a Kato RhB Allegra (10-1273). Lovely model for something so small.

An Allegra set arrived here today also. Sadly it is not mine, I ordered to a friend.

I won a Yahoo JP auction for a 10-car Kato TGV Sud-Est consist.  It does look like it's seen some use, but given the age of the model it looks OK.  I blame Quinntopia's video review of this set for convincing me to spend more money, haha.  

Just in from Model Train Plus....

Kato's recent D51s are excellent locos--smooth, strong runners and very prototypical.  My D51 Hokkaido type pulls 11 coaches up steep grades with power to spare.  I hope you enjoy your D51 498.  :)

post-2369-0-66869200-1435029564_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Two packages today. One with a grey Bandai Power Unit 1 (my B train shorty EF66 now runs) and another with a Power Unit 3, which is the last piece of the puzzle for a four-car Kintetsu 12200 EMU.

Planning to build the 12200 on camera and upload the results to Youtube, as there isn't much English-language coverage of the B train shorty range.

Now if only Bandai would make another batch of Power Unit 1s in black. I need three of those for my other EF66, the Hokutosei ED79 and the Euroliner EF64. Did think about stripping and respraying grey ones but the plastic doesn't look as though it'd take paint, and the greys seem to be drying up too now.

• Like 1

Planning to build the 12200 on camera and upload the results to Youtube, as there isn't much English-language coverage of the B train shorty range.

Great, that will be a great resource to get folks into Btrain shorties!

Jeff

I got some black 5.6dia Tomix wheels. Perfect for those with plenty of Tomytec weights and couplers spare.  Saving 500 yen on the TT-04R or TT-03R packs.

And this product:- http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10317373 Not really happy with it.  It does not come with a mat.  So the product isn't deep enough.  Trains and foam will move around inside the case.  Needs a 3mm mat http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10314082 brought together with it to make it work.  The 3mm mats only come in 6 packs, so at the point of spending 1615 yen combined, could've just got a normal case.

Edited by katoftw

I got some black 5.6dia Tomix wheels. Perfect for those with plenty of Tomytec weights and couplers spare. 

Is it compatible with tomix shinkansen models?

Ordered another test print of my Utrecht Sneltram project as I found out I suddenly had some spare cash that came in, I totally forgot about! Yay! Hopefully this will be the last test print of that project, so I can move on to other projects, like the detail parts.

I also should slowly start saving for that Kanto Railway DMU Tomytec is releasing in September... I want at least four of them! Maybe get one or two Tōbu 8000s to repaint into a fantasy livery or something. Or invest in a good printer... xD

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

Thanks for checking, Katoftw :) really appreciate your help.. cheers..

In addition, where did you get it? if it fits well, I will buy them too later..

Edited by Robert46