What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Hi guys,

May I know the difference between the regular Kato with the Roundhouse Kato? Are the technical specifications of the train set different? or it's only on the case that showing the different?

Is the Roundhouse defined as limited items? or Hard to Find Items?

Cheers..

Usually sets containing 10-9xx arw Round house sets... hard to find, well, to a certain extend. I'm lucky to have a few like the 10-922 Mangattan liner II, 10-936 Kiha-110 Tohoku Emotion, 10-912 201 series Shikisai & the new Toreiyu Tsubasa...

Recommendation is to get them while they're still available! I'm glad i pre-ordered this Toreiyu. Turns our much nicer than i expected!

• Like 1

Hi Om Hantu & Mr. 500,

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

If Roundhouse is a custom workshop, then may I know which parts of the train that being customized? Is there a different quality between the Regular Kato & Roundhouse Kato? I still don't get the idea what makes the Roundhouse is more special than regular one.. Besides for the definition of Hard to Find items..

Edited by Robert46

Hi Om Hantu & Mr. 500,

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

If Roundhouse is a custom workshop, then may I know which parts of the train that being customized? Is there a different quality between the Regular Kato & Roundhouse Kato? I still don't get the idea what makes the Roundhouse is more special than regular one..

You're welcome Robert!

Although i'm not really sure, but it seems Kato Roundhouse usually makes the regular models 'a little bit more special'.

Let's quote a few examples:

1) 10-912 - 201 Series Shikisai colour, the original train is Series 201

2) 10-922 - 205 Series Magattan Liner II, the original train is Series 205 10-294, 10-257

3) 10-916 - 205 Series Senseki Line 2 Way colour, the original train is Series 205 10-294, 10-257

4) 10-937 - E3 Toreiyu Tsubasa, the original train is 10-222 Series E3-1000 Tsubasa

5) 10-936 - Kiha-110 Tohoku Emotion, the original train is 10-1165 etc Kiha-110

6) 10-934 - E231-500 Rillakuma wrapping 3-car set, the original train is 10-890 E231-500  

And the list goes on...

Though I might be wrong...

• Like 1
Krackel Hopper

Although i'm not really sure, but it seems Kato Roundhouse usually makes the regular models 'a little bit more special'.

That is a decent description. Roundhouse models use previous Kato tooling to make a model that is not quite prototypical.

The Tohoku Emotion is simply a Kato kiha110 body painted like the Tohoku Emotion. When in reality the Emotion was modified with different seating arrangements and different window (large panel window) arrangement. If the model had been properly tooled, it would have been released as Kato.

Again, same for the Toreiyu Tsubasa. Built off the tooling from the Kato E3 komachi. When in reality the Toreiyu Tsubasa has modified seating and modified windows.

Before anyone says I am just nitpicking, imagine if MicroAce just used standard KIHA 40 tooling on the Hayato-no-Kaze or Isaburo/Shinpei. Or if Tomix & Kato just painted their 700 Series Yellow and called it Dr. Yellow?

• Like 2
maihama eki

The Roundhouse name and logo are also associated with the Kato Hobby Centers in Tokyo and Osaka.  The shopping bags from the Hobby Center Kato Tokyo have always had the Roundhouse logo on them - as long as I have been going there.  Even though the prices at the Hobby Centers are full retail, I can never seem to resist buying something when I visit.

The Roundhouse models seem to be marketed from these Hobby Centers and are somehow limited runs.

Other than the mentioned digressions from strict prototypes, I have found the quality of the Roundhouse models to be comparable to other Kato models.

• Like 1

The Roundhouse models seem to be marketed from these Hobby Centers and are somehow limited runs.

Other than the mentioned digressions from strict prototypes, I have found the quality of the Roundhouse models to be comparable to other Kato models.

Cos they are normally old models with the shells repainted and a new packing box.

The original Twilight Express EF81 was a roundhouse model.  And it was just a EF81 painted over in Twilight Express colours.

I'd suspect the Toreiyu is a repaint also.  There was a diesel recently also.  Either blue then painted over brown, or vise versa.

But if not a repaint.  Then by doing a not 100% prototypical model, then bypass the tooling costs to produce the model on something that may not be warranted in high volumes.

Edited by katoftw

Let's quote a few examples:

1) 10-912 - 201 Series Shikisai colour, the original train is Series 201

2) 10-922 - 205 Series Magattan Liner II, the original train is Series 205 10-294, 10-257

3) 10-916 - 205 Series Senseki Line 2 Way colour, the original train is Series 205 10-294, 10-257

4) 10-937 - E3 Toreiyu Tsubasa, the original train is 10-222 Series E3-1000 Tsubasa

5) 10-936 - Kiha-110 Tohoku Emotion, the original train is 10-1165 etc Kiha-110

6) 10-934 - E231-500 Rillakuma wrapping 3-car set, the original train is 10-890 E231-500  

Hi Mr. 500,

Okay that seems good. My understanding is that the Roundhouse is a modified version from the regular one, added with special livery or paint job.. But now I can see why the Roundhouse is more special.. :) Thanks..

That is a decent description. Roundhouse models use previous Kato tooling to make a model that is not quite prototypical.

The Tohoku Emotion is simply a Kato kiha110 body painted like the Tohoku Emotion. When in reality the Emotion was modified with different seating arrangements and different window (large panel window) arrangement. If the model had been properly tooled, it would have been released as Kato.

Again, same for the Toreiyu Tsubasa. Built off the tooling from the Kato E3 komachi. When in reality the Toreiyu Tsubasa has modified seating and modified windows.

Before anyone says I am just nitpicking, imagine if MicroAce just used standard KIHA 40 tooling on the Hayato-no-Kaze or Isaburo/Shinpei. Or if Tomix & Kato just painted their 700 Series Yellow and called it Dr. Yellow?

Hi Krackel,

That's a nice say.. I think that's correct.. I think it's not special if Tomix & Kato just painted their 700 Series Yellow and called it Dr. Yellow.. :D

Just gave Buyee the go-ahead to ship the following:

• 4 Tomix 583 cars (2x SaHaNe581, MoHaNe582, and MoHaNe583)
  • Kato EF58 Tsubame (Aodaisho)
  • Kato Tsubame passenger car set (12 cars including NaRo 10 and SuHa 44)
  • Kato 151 Kodama set
  • various storage cases and accessories

If EMS works as well for them as it does for Loco1, I should find everything waiting for me at the office, when I get back to work on Tuesday.

Oooh lala:

post-1206-0-30701500-1428072643_thumb.jpg

6500 yen, sold as a "poor runner" which meant the wheels on the power car needed a good clean. I'll probably strip it down when I have more time but it runs fine, if a little noisy. Only obvious issue is the pantograph on the power car, which is missing some bits.

• Like 4

Nice find.  I really like the look of the old-school Kato box, too. 

Only obvious issue is the pantograph on the power car, which is missing some bits.

This guy on eBay is selling his own "custom" Kato TGV pantograph replacements. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KATO-N-TGV-SBB-CFF-FFS-10-coches-posible-envio-gratis-/301582641622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item4637b9e9d6

Looks like they're based on Greenmax PT71A pantographs

• Like 1

My Keihan Otsu 600s 601+602 in express colours and 609+610 from Railway Collection Vol.17 have both arrived at the warehouse.  Just organising shipping now from east Tokyo.

Guest keio6000

from our favourite ebay seller of seconds, got this tozai line 103-1200 from microace:

img59143272.jpg

kind of a no-brainer given my interest in the chuo line between shinjuku and mitaka and for a good price.  i already had a few cars of this from a junk pile (100-300 yen wagons) at tamtam, but now i have a whole train.  a nice pickup at a reasonable price.  hopefully the experience will be better than the previous one, where they cancelled an order on me due to lack of stock / a stock error.

would have preferred a tozai 5000 series, but beggars cant be choosers...

1188451_orig.jpg

Edited by keio6000
  • Like 2

My Keihan Otsu 600s 601+602 in express colours and 609+610 from Railway Collection Vol.17 have both arrived at the warehouse.  Just organising shipping now from east Tokyo.

They are on their way.  1200 yen to have each shipped using EMS..  Paid 500 yen to have the parcels combined.  Worked out to be 1200 to ship combined.  Saved 700 yen.  Should have them in a week.

My son spent all of his savings (and a little of mine) to buy the Kato turntable. He's been saving for months. He even got the train show pricing a couple of weeks before the big train show that's here in a few weeks.

• Like 1
enodenlover

Saturday my Greenmax 2-track enginehouse kit arrived from Plaza Japan ( I'm using it as a tram / interurban car barn ) and today my Hobby Search package arrived. It contained two pieces of  unpowered Tomytec equipment, the Sangi ED459 electric locomotive and the 2-car Keihan 600 interurban train, along with a Unitrack compact turnout and several small Kobaru items ( vending machines, construction detour signs etc. ).   I'll be ordering more goodies just as soon as I can hold up a liquor store or two. :laughing6:

• Like 1

Just delivered by EMS:

post-2339-0-22541000-1428387853_thumb.jpg

I purchased these from a new supplier I haven’t seen before - Denet Hobby Market on Rakuten.  Prices are good - the Hakone Tozan was ¥7,938 including tax - which is 25% off list of ¥10,500.  They only ship by EMS and they do charge you the tax - but communication in English by email is very good and packaging is well done.
Edited by mrp
  • Like 3

I had a replacement for my Nagano 1000 on preorder with Hobby Search, and this morning they told me to place my order.

Done.

This gives me a replacement motor car and a missing coach for my Odakyu HiSE 10000, plus some extras.  "A 4 Car Train for display purposes"?

Should be here in a week.

gerryo

enodenlover

Well I did it, held up my first liquor store ( not as hard to do as they would have you believe ) so I was able to order a few things from Hobby Search as well as a power unit for my ED 459 electric engine from Plaza Japan. I hope they all get here soon so I can get at least a little enjoyment out of them before the cops show up at my door.

• Like 1

Well I did it, held up my first liquor store ( not as hard to do as they would have you believe ) so I was able to order a few things from Hobby Search as well as a power unit for my ED 459 electric engine from Plaza Japan. I hope they all get here soon so I can get at least a little enjoyment out of them before the cops show up at my door.

Now that's the spirit!!!

• Like 1

Big day yesterday!

My first shipment form Buyee came in with:

• Kato Tsubame with EF58 and 12 passenger cars, in the green "Aodaisho" scheme
  • Kato Kodama set 12-car EMU
  • 4 Tomix 583 cars to complete my set

Also, my order from Plaza Japan for some hard-to-find Kato track bits finally came in.  I can now go ahead with my planned Ttrak module entitled "Land of the Bullet Trains".

post-2520-0-45013400-1428507537_thumb.jpg

Kato Aodaisho and Kodama

post-2520-0-96541000-1428507471_thumb.jpg

Tomix 583 cars

post-2520-0-40971400-1428507496_thumb.jpg

Viaduct for LotBT

• Like 2

Just received the add on set A for my tomix 500 series bullet train. :) Many thanks for Shop-Fun23JP for good experience.. EMS only for 1 usd.. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TOMIX-Shinkansen-Bullet-Train-Series-500-Tokaido-Sanyo-Nozomi-Add-On-A-311-/221668526131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339c794833

Funny thing is that I received an envelope inside the package. I thought it was a purchasing invoice, but instead it is a very nice letter from the seller. :) also out from the envelope were 2 origami Goldfishes with no eyes. He wrote that his 6 years old daughter who made the origami and told me to write / draw the eyes of Goldfish so that my wish may come true.. Also on the letter there are some photos of the seller with her daughter in some poses. The little girl folding the paper, the seller and daughter in happy face with a big smile. :D

But when I opened the train set, I found out that 3 rolling stocks had one of the boggie on each car got detached. 1 rolling stock with pantograph had a plastic part detached... But luckily I was able to manage them got fixed and function well.. :)