What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

These arrived last week from loco1hobby: Tomytec farm house and diesel thingies and MicroAce JR Shikoku KiHa 32 with square lights subseries. As always perfect service from David.

The Dutch customs don't seem to like me lately however: they just keep making me pay import taxes and clearance fees. Not even mentioning that they take weeks for that.

post-638-0-47050700-1395098040_thumb.jpg post-638-0-86627000-1395098055_thumb.jpg post-638-0-69323000-1395098069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

I believe those are JioWorld structures

http://jioworld.shop-pro.jp/

I have some and they are really great!!

Hey you're spot on!

Didn't know they had a website! Interesting!

I must say their buildings are really nice in detail, and VERY sturdy. Not like usual paper structures that can fall apart, these thick styrene boards are very firm and sturdy to resist movement and damages during shipment. Nice to have, but I realise they're kinda like the same colour and feel so it tends to get boring with too many of them together...

These arrived last week from loco1hobby: Tomytec farm house and diesel thingies and MicroAce JR Shikoku KiHa 32 with square lights subseries. As always perfect service from David.

The Dutch customs don't seem to like me lately however: they just keep making me pay import taxes and clearance fees. Not even mentioning that they take weeks for that.

Nice Shikoku Kiha! You mean you'll have to pay taxes regardless of the amount on the invoice? Mine gets stuck at the customs if it gets over US$350..

• Like 1

Hey you're spot on!

Didn't know they had a website! Interesting!

I must say their buildings are really nice in detail, and VERY sturdy. Not like usual paper structures that can fall apart, these thick styrene boards are very firm and sturdy to resist movement and damages during shipment. Nice to have, but I realise they're kinda like the same colour and feel so it tends to get boring with too many of them together...

Nice Shikoku Kiha! You mean you'll have to pay taxes regardless of the amount on the invoice? Mine gets stuck at the customs if it gets over US$350..

Limit for bringing stuff into Australia is $1000.

Limit for bringing stuff into Australia is $1000.

You mean the limit before getting taxed? That's high! US$1000 or AUS$1000? Either way, it's way higher limit than us here... And tax is 7% of total invoice amount including shipping costs, so US$350 for example will need to pay US$24.50 in taxes. Pure easy money for government.

Another shipment arrives today. Talking about double happiness!

This time, Takahashi is getting buses (a lot of them special ones), trucks and a really special train ¬¬

I'll be posting more pictures on those individual bus sets in the Tomytec Bus thread instead. Hope you guys enjoy!

post-819-0-52298000-1395130333_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-67777100-1395130339_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-26203200-1395130345_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-86288000-1395130350_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-34596500-1395130356_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-72786700-1395130362_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-55834400-1395130368_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-30951000-1395130375_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-64356500-1395130380_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-04637000-1395130417_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-86669300-1395130423_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-83101600-1395130430_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You mean the limit before getting taxed? That's high! US$1000 or AUS$1000? Either way, it's way higher limit than us here... And tax is 7% of total invoice amount including shipping costs, so US$350 for example will need to pay US$24.50 in taxes. Pure easy money for government.

Here it is 20% VAT for everything over 30 something euros (including shipping). Europeans have it tough. ;)

Edited by disturbman

If the price of the package is above €21,- and the customs take notice of it (which they sometimes don't seem to do), they can charge at least 21% VAT. But because the Dutch postal service are assholes they ask you €13-17 (depends from SAL to EMS) for every package they have to 'bring' to the customs, even though the custom building is the first thing they go through. If the price is more than something around ~€200 the customs can even ask you to even  pay ridiculous sums of customs fee even though I don't think that's appropriate to do so.

Here it is 20% VAT for everything over 30 something euros (including shipping). Europeans have it tough. ;)

In Portugal we have a lot of options. 

We pay VAT (23%)  for anything above 22€ (includes shipping+insurance+custom minor fees). And we pay import duties+vat for anything above 150€.

However tax is only paid if value is above 10€, so this means values up until 43€ are usually free of taxes.  Exception to these rules: online commerce (ebay or even if the invoice comes with a site stated).

My main problem with the Portuguese customs is not having to pay taxes (i would pay them if i bought the items in Portugal or anywhere in the EC) but the insane time they take if a package has the bad luck of being selected for customs control. Sometimes they dispatch a package in 2 weeks, sometimes they may take near 2 months.

Edited by NJHA
Martijn Meerts

attachicon.giftomytec structure and kiha32 1.jpg attachicon.giftomytec structure and kiha32 2.jpg attachicon.giftomytec structure and kiha32 3.jpg

You've been buying too much, and they've figured out they can make money off of you now ;)

• Like 2

Here I'll use ePacket or SAL all the life, they usually skip customs

but if the package it's too big there is no other option that EMS and that one cannot skip custom at all :(

this is last item I just bought and is currently in custom waiting to be shipped to me

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10072758

Here we have to pay customs (5%) and VAT (27%) of the ordered item if it is more than 22 EUR. So I think we are the "winners". :-(

My experience: if the order does not reach 2.5 kg including the box' weight, it counts as mail and not a package, so customs does not take attention on it. But kvp has other experience, although we live in a same country, same city...

Here we have to pay customs (5%) and VAT (27%) of the ordered item if it is more than 22 EUR. So I think we are the "winners". :-(

My experience: if the order does not reach 2.5 kg including the box' weight, it counts as mail and not a package, so customs does not take attention on it. But kvp has other experience, although we live in a same country, same city...

5% custom tax? You shouldn't be asked that...

All european comunity customs follow the same rules, that is why we all get taxed over 22€. The custom tax of around 5% (4,7% actually) is applied to most toys, but model trains have a separate classification under the toys genera, with 0% import tax. 

Oh, and most customs if you order over 1000€/month upgrade you to regular importer, and then you pay every time. 

the_weird_one

In the UK they make you pay for everything, and then you get ripped off by the Royal Mail/Parcel Farce for handling fees

In the UK they make you pay for everything, and then you get ripped off by the Royal Mail/Parcel Farce for handling fees

That's the case in Hungary too, except there is a 22 euro limit (22 euro including the shipping fee). My problem is that some bigger shops tend to write the total amount on the outside of the box, so it gets routed to customs automatically. The only way to avoid it would be to order using uninsured SAL mail with a falsified statment, but then at my post office /western railway station main post office/ the packet loss would be 100%. It's more safe for small post offices where a packet could only be stolen by one or two people. In case of EMS or any other airmail with tracking, the packet automatically goes to the customs office without asking me first. One way to avoid it is to use a private delivery service and they usually get around EU customs regulations by importing to another EU country then moving it to Hungary within the customs borders. (this works fine with mainland chinese companies) The problem with this approach is that there is a need for a 7/24 person who can receive the mail whenever the delivery guy shows up or the package is usually lost or can only be fetched from the end of the world, so i can only use this approach when i order to my office address and ask the guards to sign it for me. However some shops refuse to ship to a different address than my official paypal address, which is the same as my home address. Now if we add that some of my packages are actually opened by the border guards because they look suspicious under an xray (although it's mostly just trains and electronics) and i have quite a hard time to get things imported.

Another shipment arrives today. Talking about double happiness!

This time, Takahashi is getting buses (a lot of them special ones), trucks and a really special train ¬¬

I'll be posting more pictures on those individual bus sets in the Tomytec Bus thread instead. Hope you guys enjoy!

Wow, that Fuji Tozandensha train looks great!!

Feeling like a kid again. My first ever n scale model has just arrived.  :blob3:  :blob3:

Total transit time was 16 days. Thanks to MTP for the superb packaging. 

Here is my "baby": KATO 10-848 NEX addon : 

post-2176-0-38433700-1395228572_thumb.jpg

If only the other packages were so fast.

Package 2 from MTP - In customs.

Package from loco1hobby - Don't know where it is. Hopefully it is in customs.

• Like 1

Wow, that Fuji Tozandensha train looks great!!

Thanks dabsan! I thought so too when I first laid eyes on it and knew I had to get it. It's elegantly brown coloured! Ordered the parts to motorized it and can't wait to let it run... Love the design of the box too!

Feeling like a kid again. My first ever n scale model has just arrived.  :blob3:  :blob3:

Total transit time was 16 days. Thanks to MTP for the superb packaging. 

Here is my "baby": KATO 10-848 NEX addon : 

attachicon.gifnarita_express.jpg

If only the other packages were so fast.

Package 2 from MTP - In customs.

Package from loco1hobby - Don't know where it is. Hopefully it is in customs.

Nice NJHA! Eerrr but i'm not getting this. Your first N scale model is an add-on set?

• Like 1

Guessing correctly Martijn

MTP didn't have both the base set (10-847) and the add on in stock so they were sent on separate packages and on separate days. They departed tokyo together and arrived together in Portugal. At customs the base set package got selected for custom inspection and the add on was released to distribution and delivered today. As all documents are in order with the base set i expect to receive it (and a VAT bill) within the next 15 days. If customs decides to ask for the proof of payment then it will take around 1 month for the process to end.

So... i now own a add on, and i am waiting for the base set. And i am also waiting for the rails to run them on (loco1hobby package)! Funny how things work isn't it? 

• Like 1

Wow you EU guys really get whacked with taxes! I will not complain about shipping rates to the US again. What happens if you get apackage from a private individual rather than a business?

Dave

What happens if you get apackage from a private individual rather than a business?

Usually nothing, since they count as gifts. Above a certain value you would have to pay a certain fee even if you receive it as a gift but only if they actually open the package or you tell the customs office the value. Also if they catch you that you are secretly importing stuff with a fake private sender, then that's not good either. The usual rule for imported things in the EU is that prices are translated as 1 usd = 1 euro. (that's a 39% price increase compared to the US that goes to various taxes)

Personally, i've been buying stuff from private sellers (mostly through ebay) and almost all of them get through customs without being detected, regardless of value. But they should be shipped as (signed for) airmail and not as a package or EMS. The risks with this is that non trackable mail has a higher packet loss rate.