What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

MIcroAce has never been super good about production release date or hitting them. Since they do smaller runs and don't have the production might of tomytec (and parent tomy), or even bandai or kato, I'm sure they have to juggle production runs a lot to fit in what lines they can get ahold of. One small delay in one step can really muck up a production schedule and trying to catchup can be very expensive, so I expect they tend to juggle their runs around more than trying to make up a lot of lost delay time on any single run. This can upset a lot of release dates overall.

Believe me it's not easy doing production runs at Chinese factories, even if you have good and trusted ones you work with on an on going basis. Unless you have very large runs and a very big company behind you it can be a total crap shoot on how things go one run to the next. Factories go poof fast or will hop to a new bigger client quickly and leave you waiting. I did some work with my design partner with computer desk stuff (simplicity compared to a model train) with Chinese factories and it or at other times cut corners horridly. It was a roller coaster. He did a lot before that with various other products so we had all his experience along with his old production partner, factories, and also some big name distribution clients and all that did not matter at times.

So I can totally see why MA is crazy on its production release dates, it's basically the only way they can do it w.o upping the product cost a lot. Hard for them as they are already doing things in small runs and doing the more obscure things which can be a sell out or a clearance item... Just have to live with it and have some patience.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Toni for the link.  I'll take the speculation and the "or later" bit as it ain't arriving in Janurary.  When Tomix and Kato say a certain month or later.  Is has always been later.

Jeff - You don't seem to be aware the MA had a major factory shutdown due to wages etc most of this year.  Similar story to the example you had in your post.  It's this recent factory issue that has totally sent MA bonkers.  It is not one small production line delay causing a hiccup.  The whole factory shutdown for months.

I purchased the 2 car set cos I resigned myself to knowing that the new 3 car set isn't coming any time soon.  If I'm wrong, then great.

MA have been trickling out models for the past 4 months.  But maybe with Toni's info, MA might be ready to get back into the swing of things fulltime.  But I'd prefer the info coming from MA and not a 3rd party website before I get too excited.  Although if Toni trusts that 3rd party website and know what they type is normally factual, then hopefully we see some more action from MA in coming months.

Edited by katoftw

Just received Kato's Orient Express Pullman 4158 and it's a beauty!  *Sigh*  Now if they would only re-release the D51 498 Orient Express!

Edited by Richard W
  • Like 1

MA's own list was updated about a month ago, with the huge list below being 'Planned for release': http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/release/forecast.html

But that is probably already outdated.

The planned for release stuff has been there since April.  They update their list once a month normally close to the middle of the month.  I've been looking at that list once a month to see if any changes occur.  None have.

All of those "still/planned to be released" models actually had a month assigned to them before April.  But with the big factory shutdown, they just have the above release message.

If you have a look at their release posters for 2014, you see up to April everything was normal, 6-10 models per month etc, then no posters/releases for 2 months.  Then posters with only 4 releases on them.  Until I see a release posters with 6-10 models on it or direct information from MA about their ability to release models, it will all be hearsay until then in my books.

I guess now it is just a waiting game to Janurary to see if the new info is correct or not.

Edited by katoftw

Ah yes, the simple solutions are the best... It's been a long couple of days and my brain has been on "complex" mode. Apart from the hand-of-god solution, one of my British locomotives should do the trick...

The Dapol class 58, which is designed with low gearing, is an excellent motive power unit for the Tomix cleaner (and the best, or least-worst, of my British locomotives; very steady slow running). The two do make an alarming amout of noise, like there's someone with a chainsaw stalking around the track.

Krackel Hopper

Back Story -

A few months ago my wife was complaining because she had seen some items from "Bandai Premium" she really wanted but could not purchase because they do not ship outside of Japan. I suggested she email Nariichi at ModelTrainPlus as their website offers a "personal shopper" option. Nariichi was willing and able to help her purchase her stuff. Next thing I know all these packages from ModelTrainPlus are showing up with different things she has ordered from here or there..

For the last couple months this is how my house has been:

me - "Ooh.. A package from MTP"

her - "It's mine, don't touch."

me - "Aww.."

Last week was our.. not wedding anniversary.. but anniversary of when we first met.. and I was surprised with this!

MicroAce A1490 - Koki 57000 "Cool Express"

post-180-0-32830100-1415844006_thumb.jpg post-180-0-90976400-1415844036_thumb.jpg post-180-0-87028300-1415844064_thumb.jpg

With Nariichi's help she was able to find this container set that has been on my wish list almost since I started doing this model train thing.

Edited by Krackel Hopper
  • Like 5

Rapit bunny is definitely a keeper, I've met her! I was not swayed by the fact the first time I met her we both were wearing the same goji tshirt.

Krackle hopper is a lucky guy!

Jeff

Oh wow! True love at its best! You are one lucky guy Krackle hopper!

I find it really heart-warming that the Mrs. know what you've been looking for for a long time, and eventually it ends up as a mystery parcel one day at your house... Such mutual understanding and love is truly amazing ~~

I just ordered the Kato 10-354 and 10-356 100 series Grand Hikari shinkansen, along with the 11-703 couplers for my 0 series. I know I'm about 10 years behind at this point and my layout looks like a historical layout (such as it is) but I've got to start clearing the backlog. The 100 series was actually the first shinkansen I'd ever ridden (my avatar actually is that train) so I've been needing it to be my "next train" for a while.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a historical layout, the 100-kei (Tomix) is my newest Shinkansen will stay that. Good idea with the couplers, might get some for my 0-kei, never occurred to me before.

Today I received a four car expansion for my existing four car Nozomi 500 series.  Only trouble is it's for my birthday which isn't until next month.  Still it gives me time to order a few more 248mm straights so it will fit.  Ordered via Amazon this time as it was cheap :)

• Like 1

Recent postal delivery came in with the Kato's Orient Express Pullman 4158, KATO Koki 106 Loading 19D Container x2 and KATO Koki 200 ISO Tank Container Carrying x4.

Well that extends my freight rolling stock, Now needing more track to create sidings for these new items.

Sarah 

• Like 1

Good idea with the couplers, might get some for my 0-kei, never occurred to me before.

I have the 10-453 set, which is pretty old and has rapido couplers. I'm not sure if they ever updated this. (The 100 series, at least in the photos, seems to already use what look like the close couplers.) The 10-453 set is really smooth running and quiet but the approximately one inch of space in between the cars always bothers me. I've had this model for like 3 years but only noticed last week that the close couplers are listed as an option for it. I'm really anxious to try them now.

NGI states that this particular train is scheduled for in or after January 2015. I trust that site pretty much with what they put out, as it's one of the largest (if not the major) source of online information on releases. I also never said a clear release date. Just somewhere early in 2015, which was also stated as speculative.

By coincidence, just now, MA gave the release date of a few more products for upcoming tuesday (the 18th), which came as a surprise, just as the extremely quick development and release of the Keihan 800.

Just looked at the MicroAce website.  Yeah there is 2 models from the long backlogged to be released list there.  The KiHa 47-0 and the KiHa 40-2000 2 car sets.  So hopefully this is just the start of good things to come.  2 of 42 being release tomorrow.  Still a long way to go, but at least it seems MA are going now.

I'm having good luck with Yahoo at the moment. Just won a auction for a Series 321 Kobe/Kyoto Line 10-1121 + 10-1122 3 + 4 car sets for 8,800 yen. Both new. Well under the list price of around 19,200 combined or up to 10-15% cheaper from retailers offerings.

880 yen 10% purchase fee + 200 yen bank fee + 872 yen shipping to kanto region. Then EMS cost from Tokyo to Australia to be added onto that, but still well cheaper than buying from regular avenues.

Should cost me somewhere around the 13,000 yen region in total shipped to my door. So about 6,000 yen cheaper than normal avenues.

And since the AUD vs JPY is at an 15 month high, the deal is looking sweeter.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

Just ordered the TOMIX 92837 - Kyushu Shinkansen Series 800-1000. 3 trains in a month?Full stop now Sir.Damn this hobby is addictive.No more trains till after Japan (I hope so)!!! 

• Like 1

Another good score katoftw! It's a steal, but the 321 series isn't so highly sought after so... It's a nice train though, and looks good with the front face and lights. come to think about it, little regret letting it go that time but oh well...

Just ordered the TOMIX 92837 - Kyushu Shinkansen Series 800-1000. 3 trains in a month?Full stop now Sir.Damn this hobby is addictive.No more trains till after Japan (I hope so)!!! 

Haha ~ We all try Sascha san, but often we fail... It's too difficult to resist! I've been telling myself that for a long time now...

• Like 1

Another good score katoftw! It's a steal, but the 321 series isn't so highly sought after so... It's a nice train though, and looks good with the front face and lights. come to think about it, little regret letting it go that time but oh well...

Yeah I like the looks of it also. And I rode one between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka, so confirmed that I really did want to buy one. It wasn't high up on my list to buy just yet. But when it is a steal, you have to go for it.

It is my first JR West train purchase. So now I have 1 x JR East, 1 x JR West and 1 MIL x JR Kyushu trains. Got a few Easts and Wests on pre-order. Haven't really found anything of interest from Central and Hokkaido yet.

Edited by katoftw