And so it begins...

railsquid

The problem with this block of scenery is that it's complex in three dimensions and multiple rail and road alignments on multiple levels need to be considered, while trying to create some reasonably plausible slopes and a general scenic transition from the upper to the lower level. Anyway getting there, although fans of geologically realistic tunnels should not look too closely

28518351880_aac6f6e014_c.jpg

slope-scenery-progress by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 3

During a toddler-free interval this morning managed to start work on the rear mainline tunnel portals. Just simple foamboard cutouts to be painted concrete grey. I also hit on the idea of glueing little strips of wood to keep the track exactly where it should be.

28200537353_41fece9ea4_c.jpg

mainline-tunnel-portals by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5

Wow squid! That looks really good now! Those slopes look really interesting, and I bet the bus drivers would find it quite a challenge!  :)

• Like 1

Those slopes look really interesting, and I bet the bus drivers would find it quite a challenge!  :)

Yes - we can only hope this isn't representing Hokkaido!

The sign is from the standard Kato Diotown set 23-419.

The red thingy came with the bus stop and is meant to represent the kind of semi-official ashtray one sees quite often (if I had my way smoking would be banned completely on the layout but some of the scale people remain unconvinced).

• Like 1

These layouts don't build themselves you know ;)

Now back to the building site, planning out the next section with the help of bits of wood, polystyrene and miscellaneous bits. Methinks I'll use the classic Tomix local station building, which I was in the process of painting up, hence the lack of windows etcetera, and as I remembered I have a surplus 140mm radius point we can have a nice little tram stop in front of it.

28929070892_f636685b89_c.jpg

local-station-area-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

28416869463_f751caf658_c.jpg

local-station-area-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5

Wow Squid has been busy lately! The apartment goes in the spot there?   :)

Bingo, more precisely the Tomix 4026 grotty 2-storey apartments (which is what アパート implies). Need some low-rent accomodation on the layout somewhere ;)

• Like 1

And tonight's brief messing about with the next section positioning buildings (or a box vaguely resembling the building that will go there) roughly where they should go.

29044735755_59d7d034eb_c.jpg

slope-scenery-2016-08-17a by Rail Squid, on Flickr

28424064534_f0371a82fa_c.jpg

slope-scenery-2016-08-17b by Rail Squid, on Flickr

28424063594_f52a3b6710_c.jpg

slope-scenery-2016-08-17c by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I will need to spend a bit more time tweaking ground levels etcetera.

• Like 3

The slope looks good now. It'll look great when it's finished. It's so good to see a model landscape that isn't flat. :)

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2