And so it begins...

railsquid

Nice!

Need the dim flickering TV set only in the upper floor! You can cannibalize one of those led votive candles and solder on a cool white led for the warm white usually on them. The use a pot to further tone it down to get it to the watching tv in the dark effect!

You are having fun with the lighting!

Jeff

Since I have never done this, I would like to know why the aluminum tape? From what I learned about lighting a building so far is that the inside of it should be painted black.

Aluminum tape is just a solid light sealer for cracks if you dont want to paint it black for light leaking.

One issue with leaving the interior black though is that very few interiors are black and it affects how and the kind of light that comes out of the structure. It can really darken the building in the daylight with lights off.  it will be different than real life. IMHO its better to give a final coat of white if you do paint it black. foil tapes can also give a funny sort of light/reflection as well. a lot of the light from spaces out the windows actually comes from reflected light from within the room and thats different than the direct light from the led. you can also effect the temperature of the color of the light by using colored sheets of construction paper or paint on the ceilings and floors.

Also just reducing the current way down to leds in structures can actually take care of a lot of the light leakage and give a much more realistic lighting effect. most buildings are way over lit with leds running at full 20ma! then yes it will show thru plastic walls and need extensive sealing of all cracks and even the walls themselves.

one simple crack sealer is the thick tee shirt paint. its a trick that a lot of other modelers use that do a lot of interior lighting.

when lighting is done right its amazing the scene and effect it sets. a lot of it is not the actual lighting of the structure but the light it casts out into the scene around it which can then set up a really really cool effect and again grab the viewer's minds eye and make it even better in the viewer's mind and memory!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. It's funny as how you usually don't think about things like that, and take it all for granted unless maybe if you are an architect or Model builder .

The aluminium tape comes with the Tomytec lighting kits, without it, it's obvious you need it, or something like it.

Need the dim flickering TV set only in the upper floor! You can cannibalize one of those led votive candles and solder on a cool white led for the warm white usually on them. The use a pot to further tone it down to get it to the watching tv in the dark effect!

You are having fun with the lighting!

Not sure if votive candles, led or not, are much available in these parts. Anyway there is some dimmer lighting upstairs as well :D

27435764635_084f610f7e_c.jpg

rear-street-lighting-overview by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I was planning to leave this kind of detail work until much later, but that corner of the layout will become much more inaccessible so better do it sooner rather than later.

• Like 6

Excellent! the lighting is really looking nice with the various different bits!

yeah ive found that lighting requires you get it done all at once as its a pain to keep tearing things up to add more, etc, especially if its in a more inaccessible place!

might check the 100yen store for the battery powered candles. usually 2/$1 here at the dollar store. its just a coin cell a tiny circuit bit and a LED inside. you can hook it up to a 3v power source and throw a variable resistor in series with a new cool white smd led and get a nice small flicker that gives a great TV in the dark effect. warm white works with a tad of silicon glue on the led and a few swipes of orange and yellow paint to simulate a fire.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Now an open fire is definitely something you won't find in a Japanese house, unless it's winter and the kerosene heater fell over...

Another shot:

27406648291_84e0c72c8a_c.jpg

rear-street-lighting-overview-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Judging by the pale light on the hills in the background, must be just pre-dawn.

(Hmm, three discrepancies/bloopers visible in that shot).

Meanwhile the 5 modern houses to the rear are now almost connected to the grid, though that's not visible on the photo (I did briefly entertain the idea of running real electricity cables on the utility poles, but that's a little too fiddly).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

True, but nice for an irori in a country home!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

It's amazing what the construction of a nearby Shinkansen station will do for the property market...

27452522122_9dd1f8f742_b.jpg

kato-c44-9w by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Depot staff wonder where this big stonking American diesel came from...

Looks like this fella's operating a remote control locomotive. Edited by tossedman
  • Like 2

Any chance of an overhead view of the whole layout squid to see where the viaduct fits in?

Really interested to see it coming along

JR 500系, admit it, it's the bus you like really :)

Darn... caught red-handed....

Is that a Kyosho/ Popondetta diecast bus? I cant seem to find it from the Tomytec channel....

• Like 1

Any chance of an overhead view of the whole layout squid to see where the viaduct fits in?

Really interested to see it coming along

I've taken it down already :P I'll need to stablize the baseboards before moving further, but I'll be sure to post updates :D

For reference the layout will ultimately be "L" shaped, with the thinner part being the existing shelf layout, just visible in the upper left of the picture (there'll be a connecting line which runs behind the Shinkansen station). The larger part is approximately 300x90cm, 30x90cm  of which is under the shelf layout; the viaduct will run around the edge, but won't be a true double-track loop as the inner track will be a folded dogbone, and to complicate things there'll be German and British zones too...

Darn... caught red-handed....

Is that a Kyosho/ Popondetta diecast bus? I cant seem to find it from the Tomytec channel....

It's Kyosho. Raffle consolation prize from JAM 2014 IIRC.

• Like 1