And so it begins...

railsquid

Desk aka workbench is still there, I've moved the rest of the layout away so I can work on the rear part of the shelf more easily.

Wow that's a great looking layout!

Starting from last May till now, you only took less than 8 months to build that! I gotta be ashamed of myself...

The corner with the mirror looks great, definitely an important detail not to be missed!  :)

Looking good squid, it's come a long way!

Thanks... a little bit at a time...

Wow that's a great looking layout!

Starting from last May till now, you only took less than 8 months to build that! I gotta be ashamed of myself...

The corner with the mirror looks great, definitely an important detail not to be missed!  :)

On the other hand it's only a small-ish shelf layout, fairly easy to plan. Though I've made up the details as I went along.

Looking good sir! Your empire to be is now truly an empire!

This is just the beginning... got at least another 300x90cm to fill yet ;)

Can you come over and build my layout as well? Your progress is like 500x faster than mine :)

Seriously, that's why I started out in a small area, to get a chance of getting something done. I am now painfully aware of how much "space" there is in N scale...

And from the other side, focussed on the crossing protection signal (特殊信号発行機).

gallery_1206_165_113227.jpg

I must admit I bought these as they were cheap but had no idea what they were for, apart from being some kind of signal. I might need to de-wonk the far one.

• Like 2

It's terribly addictive, at the same time scary how much space there is to cram in detail.

Meanwhile, the new-build houses next to the locomotive shed are not selling well, but the local real estate agent has hit on a novel strategy - marketing them to railfans and their long-suffering families. Who wouldn't want a DE10 puttering about in front of their balcony?

gallery_1206_165_139297.jpg

Apropos of nothing, historical side-note: the real version of this particular locomotive was introduced into service a few days after I popped into the world and is evidently still going strong, so there's hope for me yet.

• Like 5

It's terribly addictive, at the same time scary how much space there is to cram in detail.

You need one of the tomytec photographers up on the balcony -- or maybe three with some enterprising renter renting the balcony out for rail fans and serving them tea and pastries!

That's what I totally love about modeling japan as the detail can just keep on going and going and going into very small spaces.

Apropos of nothing, historical side-note: the real version of this particular locomotive was introduced into service a few days after I popped into the world and is evidently still going strong, so there's hope for me yet.

Sounds like a twilight zone episode... Edited by cteno4

Finally had an idea what to do about some bare space on one side of the level crossing, as I really need to get that sorted before adding a bit more detailing there.

gallery_1206_165_86877.jpg

Still work-in-progress but the effect is coming out as intended.

gallery_1206_165_64829.jpg

• Like 3

Quick photo to check behind the "new" building (on the left):

gallery_1206_165_149454.jpg

It seems to capture that "ramshackle building right next to the running line" style fairly well. Do excuse the various vertically-challenged objects visible in the background.

• Like 3

Train services to this small Japanese town were thrown into chaos recently after the sudden realisation that trains equipped with pantographs lacked a suitable power source to propel themselves. While baffled scientists urgently investigate how they were nevertheless able to move, railway company engineers have launched a crash programme of catenary mast installation utilising the latest "invisible wire" technology.

gallery_1206_165_17724.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

Whatever it is, JNR have already sent along some engineers to investigate possible adoption in their new "Shinkansen" technology ;)

gallery_1206_165_81875.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good! You just need the black and white photo of your layout shot to make it look identical. I get satisfaction trying to replicate a scene from a photo. Hence none of my modules will ever likely look like they belong next to each other.