High Rise / Skyscraper building kits ??

domino

Here's some great looking apartment complexes if you have any East Germans on your layout looking for some nice communist housing:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.1zu160.net/neues/news.php%3Fid%3D2048&usg=ALkJrhjkGIcmhACbQl6rx7JEH-S4LtMwxA

I actually think these would look really good next to tracks.

WBS70_EE-Designz_Fro4e56b07c3aa96.jpg

thanks quinntopia, interesting find. yes these could be anywhere really! bit expensive at $36 per single unit (like $27 each if you buy a set of 4), but free shipping to the US! i like how they did things modular.

makes me want to do a couple of small window sections like this on my friends laser cutter. once its all worked out, turning out a bunch is not very expensive then. something of this layout could also all be done with strips as well...

cheers

jeff

another what looks to be printed window high rise on ebay from adam's trucks and trains

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300597636232&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_839wt_809

its interesting he has a whole line/system of strip mall buildings he has come up with. simple design that you can mix and match

http://stores.ebay.com/Adams-trucks-N-trains/_i.html?_fsub=15961393

looks to be a combo of some simple printed doors/windows and strip styrene. his prices are not bad for custom made stuff like this, even if they are not very detailed it takes quite a bit of time to whip these out even if he has it set up to mass produce a few. always thought it would be something fun in retirement to do something like this to bring in a little money to cover the hobby stuff!

i know strip malls are starting to hit the growing japanese suburbs. be interesting to see if there were a formula to do some japanese ones! anyone got any pictures of japanese suburban strip malls?

cheers

jeff

Thanks for sharing that Scalescenes link Keiman.  What I think is kind of cool is that they offer a couple of free 'kits' that you can print out to get a taste! That makes for a nice, inexpensive project someday!

Hey guy`s

I startet this tread some time ago , and im still looking for some fantastic high rise buildings for my layout, and i finally found it, take a look at this seller from Japan autions, the items are fantastic, i already bought 2 from him, only down side that the buildings are made of cardboard , but  never the less fantastic

http://www.jauce.com/view.php?seturl=http://openuser.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/user/tyjwm075?alocale=0jp_aps_mode=2_aps_apg=1

regards

Brian

• Like 1

Hey guy`s

I startet this tread some time ago , and im still looking for some fantastic high rise buildings for my layout, and i finally found it, take a look at this seller from Japan autions, the items are fantastic, i already bought 2 from him, only down side that the buildings are made of cardboard , but  never the less fantastic

http://www.jauce.com/view.php?seturl=http://openuser.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/user/tyjwm075?alocale=0jp_aps_mode=2_aps_apg=1

regards

Brian

Neat!  I didn't know about this site...I used to watch for similar buildings like this on Yahoo Japan Auctions, but they seemed to have slowed down on that site.  Nice!  I have a couple (I actually added lighting to one of them!) and would definitely get more at some point if the price is right.

Brian

Did you buy yours thru the jause.com site?

Jeff

Yes i did, it is a bit expensive, they want fee for everything, they even take a fee when you put money in your acount through paypal .

brian

Wow that looks like a "kitbash" that went terribly wrong....or too much CA glue got on too many pieces, spread and then got stuck together. The rooms must also be interesting.  :grin

ok who is going to model this one?!

DSC_0679

jeff

yeah i started to look at it to see how to potentially attack it, but its a head scratcher! would be fun though, i definitely do want to scratch build or kitbash a few odd buildings like this as they would certainly perk up a row of standard high rises

jeff

Mudkip Orange

Home was a condo on the fifteenth floor of a filing cabinet for widows and young professionals. The walls were solid concrete. A foot of concrete is important when your next door neighbor lets their hearing aid go and has to watch game shows at full volume. Or when a volcanic blast of debris that used to be your furniture and personal effects blows out of your floor to ceiling windows and sails flaming into the night. I suppose these things happen...

• Like 1

ok who is going to model this one?!

DSC_0679

This is what happens when Goji steps on a building.  :grin

It's definitely distinctive, but it might be too far "out there" to look good on a layout.  If the real one looks like the results of an accident, nobody's going to believe the model was intentional.  And that just breaks the "sense of realism" a model is trying to convey.

Ken,

I have to disagree that an interesting building like this would break the sense of realism on a japanese layout -- japan is all about these sorts of off juxtapositions. granted, it would not be an easy one to pull off, but if done right i think it would be superior to the equivalent high level scene w/o it. yes on a layout set anywhere else it would probably go too far, but i think that japanese urban scenes are all about this kind of thing. if done right it just grabs the viewer even more and makes them look closer. the problem is you could not just throw that in somewhere w/o having a really detailed and realistic japanese urban scene done well all the way down the block with all the other variation. yes its a bit harder for someone who is not familiar to japanese scenes to understand this and their conscious brain will say its not right, but if the scene is done well you can actually start bending the mind's eye to your content even though their conscious brain may be saying it aint right. if you really have something to say about the interesting scenery you have to go this route as if you try to play directly to the conscious brain of someone like that you have lost and will be making a us layout...

this is actually one of the most fascinating parts of doing japanese rr to me is the amazing variety of scenes and even details w/in scenes that you can have. rr scenes from many other places all start to look very similar in the long run and thus the modeling. in japan the track is pretty much like roads so they end up juxtaposed to all sorts of interesting things that you dont see elsewhere. also the mixture of old design, new design, and crappy design can be such a jumble in japan that again it just gives scenes that have such interesting look that is so less uniform in ways other places (and then layout scenes) tend to become. yes you can find very uniform and more normal scenes i japan, but those then end up going down looking just like any other layout in the world.

cheers

jeff

That's a good point: if you put one odd building in a too "normal" scene you might not connect with the viewer, but if you have some more subtle differences from what they might expect, that sets up a "this is different" vibe, they may be more willing to accept the really odd.  I'll have to think about that while I'm planning my layout structures.  I don't think I'll go this "distinctive", but I definitely don't want "Main Street USA" either.  Distinctive is part of the appeal.