High Rise / Skyscraper building kits ??

domino

Just got this building in the mail from Yahoo! Japan Auctions via Shopping Mall Japan.  A lot of times bidding can get pretty intense on Yahoo JP, but this building was overlooked and I got it for the a STEAL of a price of 1600 yen (about $20).  Shipping, of course, added up to about twice that amount, but I'm pleased as this is much nicer building than the first one I got from Japan - and a lot cheaper!

P1160518.jpg

The back wall comes off nice and cleanly, so I'll be able to add floors, details, and lighting.  I'm thinking that this building will be a hospital, but haven't decided yet.  A helipad on the roof would look pretty cool.

• Like 1

OOOOOOO, that looks nice! this is the kind of construction i have been noodling on with the alternating strips of glass and solid. nice how its broken up with the more solid face element as well. does look like a hospital as they always have new sections added on and multiple styles on the buildings. now you are going to have to make a whole scad of hospital beds!

post a few more pictures when you get a chance!

cheers

jeff

Did we ever mention these buildings from Germany on this forum?  The images are from Luetke Modellbahn's website, so I hope they are okay with me 'sharing' their product here on this forum.

http://www.luetke-modellbahn.de/shop/index.php?cPath=92&osCsid=3bd3523ed2a5fe6201edd07cb90d9c86

I've ordered their furniture and have the round building on order (apparantly its still in production), but the first one is quite striking.  They have quite a few unusual building items and details that may or may not work on a Japanese (or American, etc...) layout.

63288f.jpg

Another one:

63260f.jpg

• Like 1

ha, didnt look at the buildings when you posted this company for the furniture!

interesting stuff.

like the grand stands, while you could scratch build those with strip styrene it would be a ton of work!

http://www.luetke-modellbahn.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=92_128&products_id=551&osCsid=3bd3523ed2a5fe6201edd07cb90d9c86

unfortunately the shipping rates are pretty hefty and the dollar/euro exchange sucks...

ouch on the price of the round building, but nice looking!

you gotta let us know when you get this one!

i keep hoping to stumble along some plastic sheet at the craft store or home despot that has a square cut out pattern like that of an n scale office building! then could just slice and dice up as desired! this may be a future project to work on with my friend with the laser cutter. would be a dirt simple project to do long distance, some different sized/spacing square patter.

cheers

jeff

Here's a few up today...but nothing like the massive structures that were a little common for a while.  I wonder if the 'storage containers' in the building at the top are what I think they are?  :cheesy

satokoumiya-img600x450-1299385490chxy4f8674.jpg

satokoumiya-img401x600-1299385490xzj00l8674.jpg

satokoumiya-img401x600-12993854900z7l1b8674.jpg

jxkjp798-img450x600-1299145029dz3tep59967.jpg

rdjcc365-img600x450-12995534659al1zr46789.jpg

ok another one, but this one is under construction. i want to do some of these myself!

only odd thing is it goes from a finished floors to girders, usually a few different stages with a few floors each as the crews move up with new floors added. also no crane!

whoops here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140522353909&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_991

cheers

jeff

Some nice 'scratch-builds' are back up on Yahoo! Japan after a somewhat dry period.  I see a lot of the names of some of the sellers (Builders?) whose buildings tend to go for quite a bit in these auctions.  Some of my favorite examples below will tell you what I mean! More at this link: http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/%E5%BB%BA%E7%89%A9-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%83%BC-N%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8-%E9%89%84%E9%81%93%E6%A8%A1%E5%9E%8B-%E3%81%8A%E3%82%82%E3%81%A1%E3%82%83-%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0/2084259613-category-leaf.html

ksky_arita-img600x488-1300886501timdyq33670.jpg

satokoumiya-img600x450-1300774722wwnsao65730.jpg

rdjcc365-img600x450-1300937319yo9cw574806.jpg

• Like 2

an interesting kitbash of an atlas rectangular high rise. they did a good job in adding both an interesting shape and some contrasting materials to not have it all the black glass. not sure about the shape with the rectangular entry area, but you do see odd shaped buildings on the higher floors especially where there may be air right issues (ie sqft for the height you want to go) or visual issues with the buildings around it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Custom-Built-Atlas-Black-Wedge-High-Rise-Skyscraper-/110705900570?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item19c695fc1a#ht_4632wt_977

cheers

jeff

an interesting kitbash of an atlas rectangular high rise. they did a good job in adding both an interesting shape and some contrasting materials to not have it all the black glass. not sure about the shape with the rectangular entry area, but you do see odd shaped buildings on the higher floors especially where there may be air right issues (ie sqft for the height you want to go) or visual issues with the buildings around it.

This is really interesting! I quite like the look of the 'concrete' sides rather than the full glass...feels more 'right' somehow to me.  Not as crazy about the angle, but at least its different!

Quinntopia,

yes i agree it was much better feel with the contrast of the concrete sides with the glass sides.

nice tomix facility! i like the vertical additions to the window area. something very reminiscent of the bethesda naval hospital building!

here is an interesting idea to do with the kato high rises, use an entry floor as a penthouse floor. one of the jrm members has a pict up of it. i suggested he add some hand rails with glass supports as well. makes for a nice top floor!

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/fredslayout/pages/page_4.html

cheers

jeff

Both of those look great! I've got 3 of those buildings right now, so I may have to steal some of those ideas. Although, at least one of mine is getting a hole chopped in the back for a digital pictureframe/electronic billboard.

Rankodd,

ill email you a few pictures out of some of the tomix books with some other ideas for the tomix high rises.

one they used on a very large layout was to lay it on its side and use it as a very large overhead walkway/building over some station tracks. quite interesting!

jeff

Rankodd,

ill email you a few pictures out of some of the tomix books with some other ideas for the tomix high rises.

one they used on a very large layout was to lay it on its side and use it as a very large overhead walkway/building over some station tracks. quite interesting!

jeff

Are you talking about Tomix Layout Room? I actually have copies of 1-3 - there are some very cool ideas in there! Plan to see a 711 in the bottom of one of those Tomix towers! :)

Yep! you are one of the few that have those! they are quite nice books. amazing layout in the big one!

jeff