High Rise / Skyscraper building kits ??

domino

What an amazing building...thanks Jeff!  I think the wild looks of this building would look fine as long as its just the one.  It also appears to be an Audi show room (making an assumption based on the building sign) so crazy looking 'show rooms' seem to be a feature that many car companies will put into a key city as sort of show piece for their brand (the Citroen store on the Champs d'Ellyse in Paris is one that loved visiting!).

Even though I said this would look okay if it was just the one, its a bit too wild even for my tastes, but the appeal of having one of these over-the-top style buildings is something that I would be interested in having!

...Or when a volcanic blast of debris that used to be your furniture and personal effects blows out of your floor to ceiling windows and sails flaming into the night. I suppose these things happen...

LOL! Party get out of hand, did it?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

yeah its a real balancing act to not push the viewer over the edge, but i think we tend to be way too conservative in what we think we can do with the viewer's minds eye compared to their conscious mind. the mind's eye is very intuitive and if you give it the right cues it will latch on quite well and tend to turn off the alarms of the conscious mind -- its that thats cool/interesting but i cant tell you quite why feeling...

of course if you foul up (and this happens a lot in design) and piss off the mind's eye the alarms will be heard by the conscious mind even if it does not see the problem -- its that i know thats not right but i cant tell you why feeling.

over the years its been fun with the jrm layout as we have had it very flexible in the past and put buildings in all sorts of variety over the years. i have watched folks take it in a lot and i find them quite interested the more we mix things up and do things that are not found on regular layouts. its a bit of breath of fresh air i think and it just feeds into japan is different then. again delicate balance.

I watch people for hours in exhibits as i find its the best way to get data back on what works and what does not. its quite unquantifiable (says the phd molecular biologist), but compared to all the surveys and other types of research folks try to do on exhibits i have found it to give me the best intuitive feedback into the design. its a que from doing wildlife behavior research where you have to just observe a lot before you can see some trends to try and start testing. anyhow try it and watch folks as they look at your layout or others and watch their reactions carefully. we are monkeys and show a lot of expression with our physical reactions but you just have to look for them.

experiment with your layout as well. perhaps mock up a wilder building and plop it in somewhere. even if its just taped together hunks of cardboard. you never know what you might come up with and you will sometimes be surprised how well something wild can fit into the mundane and just be right in the overall picture while still being wild on its own. Gehry and others have shown this to be possible. btw its not an urban myth, gehry does start a lot of his thinking with bits of crumpled paper taped down with scotch tape! my design partner saw this 35 years ago in his office. someone on the simpsons must have heard about it, this is one of the best little bits

cheers

jeff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QQBQDXHzys

I just read about this in the latest Hobby Search announcement email and Wow..if I'm reading this right, this could be really cool!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10180238

Here's the photo that Hobby Search currently has up for it:

cosmicbuilding.jpg

What else seems to be right in line with what a lot of us want...it has an available LED lighting kit!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10180239

It appears to be about a foot and half high (estimated from the 426mm height mentioned), but looks like quite a few floors from the poor photo. From my rough counting, it looks like about 21 floors.

Its also stated as being made of acrylic, so this is no card structure!  Interesting area for Cosmic to expand into (although they've been making 'led kits' for lighting buildings for a while, this step does kind of make sense!).

I don't know about you, but this is pretty cool!

Yep, I already have mine on pre-order!  :grin

Why did I not see that one coming!

I was tempted earlier today as well, but decided to hold off right now.

These are the kind of building I could see scratch building at some point. So I may wait.

Cheers

Jeff

Why did I not see that one coming!

I was tempted earlier today as well, but decided to hold off right now.

These are the kind of building I could see scratch building at some point. So I may wait.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous reserving it with such a vague photo of the building!  I'm hoping something better turns up soon!

quinn,

from the looks of it and the other cosmic stuff i think its going to be good quality. you got me thinking about it again last night damn you! must resist...

man would i love to have a laser cutter! i keep hoping they are going to come down, but that has been really slow. 3D printers have evolved much faster. i guess the powerful laser is one of the expensive parts that just is not getting cheap fast. probably market as well as i bet there are lofs of folks who want one, but its so much harder to develop your models than doing simple 2D cuts!

jeff

quinn,

from the looks of it and the other cosmic stuff i think its going to be good quality. you got me thinking about it again last night damn you! must resist...

man would i love to have a laser cutter! i keep hoping they are going to come down, but that has been really slow. 3D printers have evolved much faster. i guess the powerful laser is one of the expensive parts that just is not getting cheap fast. probably market as well as i bet there are lofs of folks who want one, but its so much harder to develop your models than doing simple 2D cuts!

jeff

I hear that!  Although I've heard of some folks getting some pretty decent results with some of the 'craft cutters' that you can connect to your computer.  I suppose if you use thin enough styrene the blade could cut through it with no problem.  The decent ones are still $200+ and that's a bit too much for me to experiment with!  But yeah, a laser cutter would be amazing!

issue with the craft cutters is they dont do styrene all that well and dulls the expensive blades quickly. basically they work well on card stock, but past that it goes downhill from what i have read.

we use plotter cut vinyl a lot in exhibit work and seen a lot done with them and when the vinyl starts to get thicker is when you loose the quality and have to go to much simpler shaped fonts.

im still intrigued with the simple cutters, but have not looked around this year to see whats new. last year the entry level was about $400 for anything that had any quality and power, but i expect its dropping fast! you could also always do the layering technique or cut out facades from nice colored card stocks and mount on clear or smoked acrylics for interesting modern smooth building exteriors.

cheers

jeff

new photos for the cosmic apartment tower just showed up and looks nice! back to being very tempting again! it is tall though and will require a few other structures near it in height to not make it stand out toooo much, but hey in japan you will see a city area with a bunch of 2-4 story buildings then one odd 10-20 story building poking up all of a sudden! even out in some small towns ive seen one rather large building and all the rest in the area pretty small!

but even with there being a lot of prototypes for something like this many viewers may not get it and think it odd, but hey thats a lot of the fun of japanese modeling as it has so many more interesting (you may call odd) things to model!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10180238b/30/1

cheers

jeff

quinntopia

Just arrived from our friends at Hobby Search...the Cosmic 22 story high rise!  It comes in a rather plain box with an attached label of sorts:

file-111.jpg

Inside, the various pieces are wrapped in bubble wrap and plastic....looks a little bit more complicated than the original photos seemed to indicate, but the work doesn't seem to involve too much overly onerous extra effort (for example, removing extra flashing from plastic and plaster casts which is somewhat typical of 'artisan' produced kits like this):

file-112.jpg

I posted more photos at my blog http://www.quinntopia.com/2012/05/cosmic-ns-93k-22-floor-high-rise-kit.htmlif your curious...haven't yet started doing anything with it, but I thought others might want to see some more on this interesting kit from Cosmic!

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 1

Quin

Looking forward to seeing more of this as it comes together. Already seeing a few ideas for rolling my own. Please take Picts as it goes together. I finally decided to wait on it till more work comes in the door.

Jeff

quinntopia
Quin

Looking forward to seeing more of this as it comes together. Already seeing a few ideas for rolling my own. Please take Picts as it goes together. I finally decided to wait on it till more work comes in the door.

Jeff

Will do Jeff! I'm in the middle of scratch-building a passenger terminal at the moment, which is taking up most of my 'hobby time'!  I think I'm going to try and tackle this one next!

quinntopia

Ahhh...that one I know! Its the Faller B-905!  One of my favorite kits of all time, unfortunately somewhat difficult to find and a long time out of production.  I think its marketed as HO, but if you remove or replace the bottom floors its a dead ringer for N -scale.

Here's a photo of mine, sort of kit-bashed with similar parts from another kit:

faller+b905-1.JPG

ahh i knew i has seen those windows somewhere! i wish i had grabbed a couple more of those heljan ho hospital/apt buildings when they were re-released a while back as they had some interesting windows as well and pretty much n scale floors above the ground floor. wonder why several of the ho high rises seem to have closer to n scale floors above the ground floors? i think one of the walthers had the same thing going on.

perhaps is a scene compression idea to make the building seem larger visually.

jeff

That is a unique building!

Do you think they kitbashed it with the Atlas Hi-rise set?  The one thing that I'm a little afraid of in regards to kitbashing the old Atlas Hi-rises is the styrene is so still I'm afraid if I cut into it, it will easily crack.....any experience with this?

heres a wild curved sail high rise on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110910973645&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_4393wt_1134

bit reminiscent of Burj Al Arab building in Dubai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Al_Arab

i think quinntopia needs this one!

jeff

The stuff on the side might be, but not the front, it's too blue. I think this guy just uses tinted plex, you can get it thin pretty cheap then just score it for the lines with a plex scoring tool.

I've not cut the atlas plastic yer, but have some that I do wnt to fiddle with soon. Razor saw, band saw or scroll saw should work fine. I would not do scribe and snap though as it is more brittle acrylic mix. Table saw sould work with a fine plywood blade and zero clearance insert.

Jeff

yeah but its a totally custom built building. im guessing that took him at least 20 hours and materials, so fair when you figure that in.

jeff