Perpetual JR Aizu Wakamatsu Screen Shot Thread

Guest ___

So, do I have it right that this red-and-white thing:

29cpf2h.jpg

...is a diesel, but most everything coming to this station is electric?

CaptOblivious

OK, I'll have to watch more carefully. But the red thing is a 485 EMU, right?

oh, yes

disturbman

I think I see more diesels than I do electrics.

Maybe a little bit more but not so much more. I think that the last picture (1930 EST - 0930 JPN) you post is again some kind of Kiha, same for the train on the middle track at 2300 EST - 1300 JPN and the Kiha 100 at 2155  - 1155 JPN. I have the feeling that the platform on the right is mostly use to receive local trains and, then some, local DMUs.

Maybe a little bit more but not so much more. I think that the last picture (1930 EST - 0930 JPN) you post is again some kind of Kiha, same for the train on the middle track at 2300 EST - 1300 JPN and the Kiha 100 at 2155  - 1155 JPN. I have the feeling that the platform on the right is mostly use to receive local trains and, then some, local DMUs.

From what I've seen everything coming in to platform one is an EMU, and for the most part everything on track 2 is DMU.

bikkuri bahn

Maybe a little bit more but not so much more. I think that the last picture (1930 EST - 0930 JPN) you post is again some kind of Kiha, same for the train on the middle track at 2300 EST - 1300 JPN and the Kiha 100 at 2155  - 1155 JPN. I have the feeling that the platform on the right is mostly use to receive local trains and, then some, local DMUs.

From what I've seen everything coming in to platform one is an EMU, and for the most part everything on track 2 is DMU.

Both platform 1 on the right and platform 2 serve trains on the Banetsusai Line between Koriyama and Niitsu in Niigata Prefecture.  The line is electrified between Koriyama and Kitakata, so those EMUs are used.  The diesel railcars are used for the stretch between Kitakata and Niitsu after running under the wires from Aizu Wakamatsu.  Note that many (most?) electric trains on the Banetsusai Line that arrive in Aizu Wakamatsu must reverse to continue on, making the station much like a terminal station.  Looking at the map gives you the idea (zoom out to see the general route):

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.508679,139.930018&spn=0.0022,0.006866&z=18