Perpetual JR Aizu Wakamatsu Screen Shot Thread

Guest ___

Does this webcam shut down at night? Nothing's happening when I tried to load this location in VLC, and in the original Silverlight view there are  just some characters I can't read. (I'm trying VLC because Realplayer is apparently blocked on my computer, and I've never been able to get Windows Media Player to set a streaming protocol, so I can't use that.)

It was down for a little bit yesterday. For some reason, it kept replaying a small time period before finally shutting down for a few hours. I think their server crashed and needed reset.

CaptOblivious

Do you ever get this?

991m6p.jpg

I get that everytime I connect, for varying periods of time. Sometimes it just stays up for good, sometimes it's ip for only a few seconds. I think that may be the "server full" message.

Do you ever get this?

I get that everytime I connect, for varying periods of time. Sometimes it just stays up for good, sometimes it's ip for only a few seconds. I think that may be the "server full" message.

I get it everytime it attempts to connect, though within the past 24 hours during the 0000-0400, it's been staying on. The last train I have seen arrive comes in about 0110 AM JPN time, on to the right platform where it is secured and they shut down the platform. Most of the time, the video feed stays up all night though. However, after a full week of observation, I can not find a clear pattern to the station operations or even equipment use.

Sorry to say this may be due to the current board posting. this has happened a few times with waka in the past when a discussion about it has popped up on a board. lots of new folks log in and its clogs up. usually only lasts a week or so then goes away. last time it was like 18 months ago when waka got lots of positive posts on a big webcam board. good news is maybe it will stimulate jr to increase the server power as its so popular and cool! the resolution and frame rate has gone up over the last few years.

cheers,

jeff

I'm on it right now. Sadly there's nothing in the station. I can't beleive it's clogged due to sudden interest. The servers are owned and hosted by NTT themselves.

Here's another webcam: http://www.nttfukushima.com/live/iwaki/Default.html

And this one too: http://www.nttfukushima.com/live/shirakawa/Default.html

Don't forget this one: http://www.nttfukushima.com/live/corasse/Default.html

Then lastly: http://www.nttfukushima.com/live/koriyama/Default.html

Well its all in how much server power they give the streams and the bandwidth. ntt most likely has an upper limit on the bandwidth/connections. this has happened at least 4 times i know of in the last like 6 years with waka and each time was when there was a big stir on one of the lists.

streams are tough, i deal with this with clients. its a gamble that you give a new video enough bandwidth and horsepower (and of course pay for it!) in case you get that viral rush. alternative is pissing off a lot of folks if you dont have enough bandwidth and get the huge rush.

viral can really bite you. we had a couple of things we thought we would get maybe 1000 views on the video and got 100,000. one got posted on the earthday itunes top 10 and we got 250,000 hits views in a couple of days. totaled up to about $2k for the client in serving fees but it was worth it and the client was prepared. if we had not been it would have been a pr disaster and cost us more with the traditional serving, which is cheap for the low volume, but gets horribly expensive for high volume.

i have been trying off and on all day with no joy. not my end with a 15mps fiber connection i suspect... tried both through wmv pull and the silverstream.

cheers,

jeff

new message from NTT coming in now. can anyone translate? wondering if its saying due to too much use he are limiting access??? other ntt jr feeds pop up fine. maybe there are local problems, but if aaron is seeing the feed fine and im not im guessing bandwidth problems then.

cheers

jeff

post-25-13569922729734_thumb.jpg

new message from NTT coming in now. can anyone translate? wondering if its saying due to too much use he are limiting access??? other ntt jr feeds pop up fine. maybe there are local problems, but if aaron is seeing the feed fine and im not im guessing bandwidth problems then.

cheers

jeff

I'm seeing that one too right now.

What I'm hoping it is not is a similar action that Mixie took in that non-JP based IP are prohibited from accessing their feed. Working on the translation now.

I hope its not that, but i suspect instead they would just put a bandwidth limit on non japanese vis japanese ip addresses if they are getting slammed from overseas right now.

waka is usually the dirtly little secret webcam! then gets really popular for awhile then dies out. this just may be their way of putting the fire out, folks go away then things come back in a few weeks. like i said ive seen cycles like this in the past with waka.

thanks for doing a translation!

cheers,

jeff

I hope its not that, but i suspect instead they would just put a bandwidth limit on non japanese vis japanese ip addresses if they are getting slammed from overseas right now.

waka is usually the dirtly little secret webcam! then gets really popular for awhile then dies out. this just may be their way of putting the fire out, folks go away then things come back in a few weeks. like i said ive seen cycles like this in the past with waka.

thanks for doing a translation!

cheers,

jeff

Will have a literal translation shortly. I'm bouncing my IP through a Japanese server at the moment so I think it might just be one of those things where the janitor tripped over the LAN cable. I should have a literal translation shortly. I can't do kanji so I have one of my buddies working on it who is fluent in Japanese. It's really not a webcam per say that they're using. It's really a just a digital security camera that the station uses to monitor for safety that's just linked in to NTT's traffic camera system.

Translation:

"Due to a technical problem, We apologise and stop sending information currently."

Heh... so it's not because we're foreigners.

Translation:

"Due to a technical problem, We apologise and stop sending information currently."

Heh... so it's not because we're foreigners.

Thx Steve, my two translators from my Japanese language club were grumbling that they have trouble with Kanji on the computer.

17854296.jpg

0555 EST - 1955 JPN

Then a few moments later

71252102.jpg

0600 EST - 2000 JPN

Noted an amazing number of Japanese school kids both boarding and alighting trains at this time of night. Students made up the overwhelming majority of passengers traffic at 2000hrs.