Suburban Stuff

Claude_Dreyfus

Mate you may need to translate this one (for our overseas friends of course).

Sorry Alpine, I should have thought of that myself!  :-[

There are two branch lines in Sydney that still use 4-car trains on shuttle services, otherwise known to traincrews as "yo-yo's". They are the Olympic Park and Carlingford lines.

Amalgamation and division simply refers to coupling/uncoupling the individual 4-car sets into 8-car trains.

All the best,

Mark.

alpineaustralia

Like I said..... the translation was of course for our overseas friends.....I of course knew exactly what all that stuff meant...

Mate you may need to translate this one (for our overseas friends of course).

Sorry Alpine, I should have thought of that myself!  :-[

There are two branch lines in Sydney that still use 4-car trains on shuttle services, otherwise known to traincrews as "yo-yo's". They are the Olympic Park and Carlingford lines.

Amalgamation and division simply refers to coupling/uncoupling the individual 4-car sets into 8-car trains.

All the best,

Mark.

Don't forget those L Sets / 2 car sets that operate around Newcastle/Fassifern!

The Carlingford Line also used to run 3 Car single deck stock also - I can not remember if they were designated W or M sets ?

This thread has gone off topic !!

G'day Chris, I didn't mention the Newcastle L sets as they're not Sydney suburban workings. I'm no longer qualified for electrics on the north, so I haven't been up there lately. I'm not sure if they're still running as two-car trains, have you seen any recently?

I ask because on the Illawarra we now run three-car L sets instead of two cars. There were a couple of incidents where the two-car trains either stopped with the motor car under an air gap in the overhead and were unable to move, or the motor car failed. So now they've been remarshalled as three cars, Motor-Trailer-Motor. I worked the exchange cars back to Port Kembla the other night from Mortdale with three L-sets coupled - a nine car train!

Cheers,

Mark.