Suburban Stuff

Claude_Dreyfus

What does a standard suburban set consist of - how many cars is custom ?

In Sydney it ranges between 4 cars to 8 cars...all double deckers of course.

( sorry mentioned Sydney trains again! )

CaptOblivious

The longest (I think! Someone correct me!) are the Shonan-Shinjuku Line around of Tokyo. They use 15-car consists (10+5) of E231-1000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shōnan-Shinjuku_Line

I think 10 cars is about typical for Tokyo.

My only experience of NY rudeness was when some friend and I went to dinner in Greenwich village. My friend had to park his car a fair distance away and so we had to wait at the table for him before we could order. 

The rude cow of a waitress (hereinafter called the "Rude Cow") sneered at us "you know you cant just sit there the whole night.. you wil have to order!"   

We explained that we were waiting for our firend who needed to find a parking spot before we could order. The Rude Cow then insisted that we at least buy drinks.

We then proceeded to buy our drinks directly from the bar. After a little while, the Rude Cow then came over for round two "you know, I am your drink waitress as well you know!"

OK. so then we buy our drinks from the Rude Cow. Finally, my mate shows up and we order. The Rude Cow continues being rude until she discopvers that I am an Aussie.  At that point she starts to be friendly.

The bill finally comes and it comes to $100 even. We split it and I decide to go to the bathroom before we drive home. My firends insist that I dont and make a bee line for the door. I go downstairs to ther bathroom any way. When I come back out, I see the Rude Cow has cornered my mate and is shouting at him. I come over and ask whats going on.

She yells that he has only left her a $10 tip.

I respond "what wrong with that?"

She tells me that in NYC it is customary to tip 20%.

My response is "Yes, but you were a rude bitch and it if it was up to me you wouldnt get anything"

Her response.... "Yes, yes, I admit that....but at least I did get better towards the end of the night"

At that stage, you could have blown me over with a feather.

I got stuck helping some NYC'ers out on the DC Metro last week leaving Fed-Tri Station (where the Sakura Matsuri) was and they were baffled by the system. They seemed so totally confused by how helpful Metro's staff was and people in DC. Anycase, I could live the rest of my remaining life w/o ever stepping foot in NYC ever again.

Sushi Train

My only experience of NY rudeness was when some friend and I went to dinner in Greenwich village. My friend had to park his car a fair distance away and so we had to wait at the table for him before we could order. 

The rude cow of a waitress (hereinafter called the "Rude Cow") sneered at us "you know you cant just sit there the whole night.. you wil have to order!"   

We explained that we were waiting for our firend who needed to find a parking spot before we could order. The Rude Cow then insisted that we at least buy drinks.

We then proceeded to buy our drinks directly from the bar. After a little while, the Rude Cow then came over for round two "you know, I am your drink waitress as well you know!"

OK. so then we buy our drinks from the Rude Cow. Finally, my mate shows up and we order. The Rude Cow continues being rude until she discopvers that I am an Aussie.  At that point she starts to be friendly.

The bill finally comes and it comes to $100 even. We split it and I decide to go to the bathroom before we drive home. My firends insist that I dont and make a bee line for the door. I go downstairs to ther bathroom any way. When I come back out, I see the Rude Cow has cornered my mate and is shouting at him. I come over and ask whats going on.

She yells that he has only left her a $10 tip.

I respond "what wrong with that?"

She tells me that in NYC it is customary to tip 20%.

My response is "Yes, but you were a rude bitch and it if it was up to me you wouldnt get anything"

Her response.... "Yes, yes, I admit that....but at least I did get better towards the end of the night"

At that stage, you could have blown me over with a feather.

I got stuck helping some NYC'ers out on the DC Metro last week leaving Fed-Tri Station (where the Sakura Matsuri) was and they were baffled by the system. They seemed so totally confused by how helpful Metro's staff was and people in DC. Anycase, I could live the rest of my remaining life w/o ever stepping foot in NYC ever again.

you're welcome here anytime  :)

p.s DOH!!

alpineaustralia

Im sorry if I accidentally started a NYC bashing thread. I certainly didnt mean to.

The only difficult thing I found about NYC was how the metro system worked. I simply didnt understand it... what with A, B C trains etc.

I understood the Paris, Tokyo and Beijing metros and I dont speak french, japanese or chinese.

Hell, I even get how the London Tube works.

Bernard or anyone else that is a native New Yorker explain how the system works?

Sushi Train

Im sorry if I accidentally started a NYC bashing thread. I certainly didnt mean to.

The only difficult thing I found about NYC was how the metro system worked. I simply didnt understand it... what with A, B C trains etc.

I understood the Paris, Tokyo and Beijing metros and I dont speak french, japanese or chinese.

Hell, I even get how the London Tube works.

Bernard or anyone else that is a native New Yorker explain how the system works?

Hmm, I didn't have much trouble with it at all, found my way to Coney Island etc. That's not to say it wasn't overwhelming, it is a complex system but as long as you know your destination on the map it was a breeze. I did end up in Brooklyn once when all I wanted was the next station in Manhattan, didn't realise I was already there  ::)

SubwayHypes

That's a nice one....

Once again, Wikipedia to the rescue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JRW-117_001_JPN.jpg

"JR West Keihanshin Region 117-0 series"

Of course, since I'm clueless, that didn't help me much, so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keihanshin

Nice find!!!  That train is extremely rare, i only managed to find one car on ebay, but no set!  Im hoping i might be able to dig it up on my trip to japan, im seriously taking around 2000 USD with me to purchase trains with.  Every rare line i cant find on ebay will be in my sights.

SubwayHypes

Here in the san francisco bay, BART runs random numbers of cars.  During rush hour they will run 10-13 car BART trains, but during slow hours ive seen small 3-4 car trains running.  The tracks are within a mile of my house, so i hear them every night as they head back to the yard and every morning as they head out on runs for commuters. 

The track makes a loud audible noise for miles of squealing, there was even a newspaper article about the noise.  Apparently the genius american engineers made a mistake so that the BART cars always squal when going around corners.  BART has no plans to fix this, so i will hear this noise until my lease is up in November!

Sushi Train

Here in the san francisco bay, BART runs random numbers of cars.  During rush hour they will run 10-13 car BART trains, but during slow hours ive seen small 3-4 car trains running.  The tracks are within a mile of my house, so i hear them every night as they head back to the yard and every morning as they head out on runs for commuters.   

The track makes a loud audible noise for miles of squealing, there was even a newspaper article about the noise.  Apparently the genius american engineers made a mistake so that the BART cars always squal when going around corners.   BART has no plans to fix this, so i will hear this noise until my lease is up in November!

don't have a cow man!  ;)

Anyone seen our new Suburban trains in Brisbane? Not bad looking, compared to the old stuff.

post-147-13569922554205_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922554984_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

They should come up with some sort of double deck system though. Just think of the amount of people even on the Yamanote Line you could move if you could nearly double capacity per train.

Double-deck trains significantly increase boarding/alighting times. On something like Sydney cityrail where you have maybe 4-20 people getting on a car at any stop, that's not such a big deal. For a short-haul mass-usage run like the Yamanote its huge. Hence the "cattle cars" with the six doors... less seating space, more inflow/outflow.

I do think that double-deckers are okay, if they don't run on very crowded suburban line. I know a line in Paris (RER A) where the double-deckers run and they shouldn't.

It's the most use suburban line in Europe and the overcrowding is getting worse and worse. But if you put double-deckers you can't run as many trains as you could with mono-deckers. For the moment the line can accomodate around 36 trains per hour (if I'm correct) at rush hours but in fact there is just 28/30 trains running. Since the decision was taken to use double-deckers it was not possible tu run as many trains as before their introduction on the line.

Other problem, at rush hours people are standing or even seating in the stairs. It's a very big safety issue and also increase the passenger exchange time.

Everything will be very different if politicians had decided to use japanese-like (Yamanote-like) trains instead of double-decker. But that'sz typical parisian, there is no longitudinal-seat train in the city. The trains are overcrowded but nobody is trying to modify old habits.

Sadly, in the UK, with our small loading gauge, we cannot have double deck stock, although I was suprised that the japanese can do it, running on 3'6'' track, with 20 meter long cars. I found that I could stand up straight in a double deck Tokaido line green car on both levels, which I was also plesantly suprised at, being over 6' tall! Maybe there is hope for UK design trains yet!

I have to agree tho, that double deck trains are not suited to busy commuter work, as you cannot load and unload passengers as quick as single deck types. Although, the interior design will influence this too. Living on the 'Cross City Line' in Birmingham, I find that the Class 323 trains used on this line are basically good, they are let down by the interior, crammed with seats and no space for people to circulate around the doors. However, dare anyone suggest that removing some seating would improve space and comfort, especially when crowded, when the powers that be are obsessed with just cramming in as many seats as possible. I found the suburban trains in japan were well designed, inside and out, and I found navigating my way round Shinjuku at rush hour easier than Birmingham New Street.

My wife and I were planning a trip to NYC in september, although with all this talk of rudeness and a difficult subway to navigate, you've got me a little worried!

Okay I'm going to go off topic for awhile.

dmusta - Take the trip to NYC you won't regret it! This is coming from a native New Yorker. There is a lot to do and if you can figure out the London "Tube" System, the MTA Subway is a snap. I think with the ecomony the way it is, the English pound is stronger than the US Dollar, so you should do very well.

NYC is set up in a grid with numbers for streets and avenues, so it's easy to get around. We have museums, incredible stores, Broadway shows, ethnic neighborhoods with different types of foods all within a few blocks of one another. I can't garrentee you won't come upon a few rude people but you will find that in any place you visit. (Didn't England send us Simon Cowell? Oh, and don't wear a Boston Red Sox baseball cap, huge rivals of the NY Yankees sort of like Manchester United vs Manchester City ;D)

How long are you planning to visit and will you stay in the city? If you want to PM me I can give you more info on NYC.

Okay I'm going to go off topic for awhile.

dmusta - Take the trip to NYC you won't regret it! This is coming from a native New Yorker. There is a lot to do and if you can figure out the London "Tube" System, the MTA Subway is a snap. I think with the ecomony the way it is, the English pound is stronger than the US Dollar, so you should do very well.

NYC is set up in a grid with numbers for streets and avenues, so it's easy to get around. We have museums, incredible stores, Broadway shows, ethnic neighborhoods with different types of foods all within a few blocks of one another. I can't garrentee you won't come upon a few rude people but you will find that in any place you visit. (Didn't England send us Simon Cowell? Oh, and don't wear a Boston Red Sox baseball cap, huge rivals of the NY Yankees sort of like Manchester United vs Manchester City ;D)

Don't worry, I have not been put off visiting. :) I just hope we don't bump into Simon Cowell, although I doubt he uses the subway! We're thinking of staying 7 or 8 nights. Will PM you in due coures. Thanks for the offer of info.

How long are you planning to visit and will you stay in the city? If you want to PM me I can give you more info on NYC.

SubwayHypes

yea definately dont wear any Red Sox gear in New York.  Stay out of the south bronx and bushwick lots of robberies in those areas.

Sushi Train

just confine yourself to Liberty Island and you'll be fine  ;D

Just kidding, NYC is a lot safer than it used to be, saying that though, don't go to central park after dark, that's not a joke.

alpineaustralia
yea definately dont wear any Red Sox gear in New York.

Yeh it works the other way aswell. I made the error of wearing a NY Yankees cap into the Bull & Finch (The "Cheers") pub in Boston on rhe day of a Yankees/Red Sox game. I was told pretty quickly about the rivalry and only got served once the cap came off. Sometines its handy being a tourist.

I had a similat experience when I was an exchange student in Manchester, England when the 2 football teams were playing each other that day. I was with some friends and a couple of guys came up to me and asked if I was a City or United supporter. I turned to them and said, "I've been a NY Yankee fan since I was 5 and I'm not changing now!"

This confused the guys and they walked away. My friends told me how right an answer that was because some football fans can get violent depending on your answer.

Theses days, the standard consist for Sydney suburban working is 8 cars. Only Olly Park and Carlo's have 4 cars now, and even that will soon stop. The trend has been to minimise amalgamating and dividing sets in traffic, owing to the delays this can cause.

Cheers,

Mark.