Sort of club for Dutch/German/Belgian members?

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

I still think, to get started, we stick to single track and make a fairly simple layout track wise. We then put most our effort into the scenery to make it not only look good, but also very Japanese, so that's there no question it's a Japanese layout when people see it at a show. After that we can figure out where we want to take things further.

Of course, that's just what I think :) If we wait too long and try to analyze things too much and come up with solutions to problems that don't even exist yet, it's not likely to ever get off the ground. Better to start with something simple, make it look good, and draw inspiration and experience from that for something bigger.

And as Densha says, regardless of how many tracks there are, without DCC or advanced circuitry, we won't be able to run many trains anyway, so might as well keep things plain and simple :)

Ok, let's start with single track!

We can still run quite a few trains if we run the layout as a one-way loop, and have a few modules (the station ones I guess) as switched sections. Later on we can get more creative with automatic stop timers, turnouts, etc...

True that. We first have to get enough modules together to actually run a train. We can discuss more complex stuff when the time is ripe for that anyway. :P

Today I packed up my trams, tomorrow the Excess Baggage company will come to take them away to Delft... I hope they have a good journey!

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

So, by the time we're meeting, you'll speak fluent Dutch right? =)

I remember packing all my trains when I moved back from Norway to the Netherlands. The movers probably wondered what kind of weirdo I was, with about 90% of the boxes labeled as "model train stuff" and "building kits" ;)

Yes, I'll speak about four words of Dutch fluently!

Luckily it are all European languages so there are quite a few words derived from Latin and such. English words ending with -tion are most of the times the same with -tie in Dutch for example. The English "attention" is "attentie" in Dutch for example. You can apply these kind of things from English to Spanish and Czech so there are at least a few words you will recognize! (doesn't automatically mean speaking though) And there's quite a few of English loanwords you will probably know just like there are in Japanese.

A little course on required jargon :cheesy:

[table]

[table][tr][td]English - Nederlands[/table]

[table]

train - trein[/table]

[table]

tram - tram[/table]

[table]

engine (locomotive) - locomotief/loc[/table]

[table]

underground/subway/metro - metro[/table]

[table]

passenger car - rijtuig / personenwagon[/table]

[table]

freight car - goederenwagon[/table]

[table]

train - trein[/table]

[table]

coupler - koppeling[/table]

[table]

(emergency) brake - (nood)rem[/table]

[table]

pantograph - pantograaf[/table]

[table]

catenary - bovenleiding[/table]

[table]

station - station[/table]

[table]

platform - perron[/table]

I probably forgot some important ones, but it's a start at least. :grin

Martijn Meerts

No, but good to know they don't call it different in Dutch ;)

beer - bier

:grin

Coffee and sandwich are both easy to translate. "dank u" is always good to know. You shouldnt need any other words for a couple of weeks.  :grin

Finally the new Kato catalog is available at this shop. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but it's at least a place to get the catalog cheaper for us. I'm curious if it also is 'wavy' or not.

Luckily it are all European languages so there are quite a few words derived from Latin and such.

Ah, then it's good I'm fluent in Latin ;-)

Thanks guys! Tomorrow I'm taking the Eurostar and then the Benelux intercity to Delft... One way ticket :-/

Martijn Meerts

That's quite a trip you've got ahead of you. Good thing you like trains =)

Luckily it are all European languages so there are quite a few words derived from Latin and such.

Ah, then it's good I'm fluent in Latin ;-)

If I was right on the fact that it was derived from Latin, but I probably am.

Thanks guys! Tomorrow I'm taking the Eurostar and then the Benelux intercity to Delft... One way ticket :-/

Just for confirmation: you know that the "Beneluxtrein" doesn't stop in Delft? You have to change trains at Rotterdam Centraal to any train heading for Den Haag//Leiden/Amsterdam except for the Fyra 'HiSpeed' train (160kp/h is not really high speed) which uses the HSL-Zuid high speed line. I assume your ticket says Delft, if it does there's no problem since you don't have to buy a Dutch ticket in that case.

Aye, I know I have to change at Rotterdam (platform 8 to platform 9, should be pretty easy...), I've done the journey once before actually. This time I'm using the Beneluxtrein instead of the Thalys as its cheaper, and the connection at Brussels is better (I hope!).

Actually my ticket is to "any Dutch station!"

That's quite a trip you've got ahead of you. Good thing you like trains =)

It's only a bit more than four hours. About the same as London-Glasgow, say...

That's good, then there's no problem. I think it's pretty useless to use the Thalys instead of the Beneluxtrein too, the Thalys costs more and has probably less interesting scenery because of the high speed. I don't exactly know though because the last time I've rode the Thalys it still was up the old route via Antwerp that the Beneluxtrein uses. And since you've rode the Thalys before the scenery is new. If I'm right there's some station around Antwerp which was abandoned when I got past it years ago, possibly you've even seen it between Brussels and Antwerp, I'm not sure where it was exactly.

Martijn Meerts

4 hours? That's pretty fast indeed. I did Norway to the Netherlands by train once, going through Sweden, Denmark and Germany. Travel time ended up at around 21 hours I believe. Was a very nice trip though :)

Arrived safely in Delft! My new apartment has plenty of space for model trains, also it's a few minutes from the railway station, perfect!

Delft he youkoso... oh wait we're not in Japan. :grin

You're saying close to the station, but which area of the town are you in? The old centre (often called "de stad" by locals including me, which means "the town") is close to the station, as is the area around the shopping mall "De Hoven" and the Papsouwselaan or the area next to the other side of the railway viaduct, then there's also the part next to the Irenetunnel where the road is transformed into a railway tunnel entrance so that the people can't get there with their cars anymore. Or an unknown area in a fourth dimension?

Is your stuff actually already in your apartment or is it still somewhere between London and Delft?

I'm on Oude Delft, TU Delft have a guesthouse here, it's very nice!

My stuff is still in the fourth dimension though!

I always forget where the Oude Delft is *looks at google*, oh right, at that place. I don't have something with living in old buildings, but is there a reason why you are in a TU Delft guesthouse?

Hopefully not for too long.