Sort of club for Dutch/German/Belgian members?

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

I have pretty much everything needed, except track :)

Toni, if you're up to it, we could meet up in Rotterdam (would like to see rails mini world again ;)) sometime in the coming weeks, and start putting some ideas together. Obviously Densha, you're more than welcome to join as well, as is everyone else who's interested :)

I think it would be much easier than going over a forum or through email, and we'd probably get everything figured out with regards to measurements as well as come up with an initial track plan. Im available almost every weekend.

I'm up for it! As of today, I have almost every weekend off as well (except for the 26th of May, convention tiems).

I have pretty much everything needed, except track :)

If that's so... We both need to invest in new track. I assume you have Tomix FineTrack lying around, so why not switch to that instead? Of course, the ends of the modules have vulnerable parts (connecting pieces), so some solution has to come up with that. Otherwise, things are the same in a general matter of speaking.

About two years ago I made some plans for concept I came up with to the test: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3082.msg30827.html#msg30827 (T.M. Network; no pun intended :P) I also made a few modules to test this concept and quickly found out that the ends are very prone to get damaged when transported, so a better solution has to be found for this. Maybe make connections with 18 or 33mm pieces or something like that...

Martijn Meerts

Actually, I do have some unitrack from a Santa Fe F3A set I have.. loco + cars + oval, but no power supply. I'm not really using that now, so I could grab the pieces from it. I prefer to keep the set complete though. Buying some Unitrack isn't a problem though, it should be somewhat easier to get than Fine Track at least.

Fine Track has the variable track bits, which are ideal for connecting modules. Another advantage are the tram track turnouts etc. The variable tracks will likely get rather expensive though.

On the other hand, Kato is coming out with more tram track as well, although I believe that's all double track (correct me if I'm wrong anyone :))

I don't mind either way, I just want to see a Japanese layout at a show ;)

Buying some Unitrack isn't a problem though, it should be somewhat easier to get than Fine Track at least.

Is that true in the Netherlands? I haven't seen it in stores, but then again, I haven't set foot in a store for a while now. If Unitrack is easy to get, I'll gladly opt for Unitrak as well. ;)

On the other hand, Kato is coming out with more tram track as well, although I believe that's all double track (correct me if I'm wrong anyone :))

There are already compact Unitrak curves, so there might even be compact points underway (you'll never know). Plus, Kato is even planning a double track point for Unitram IIRC from somewhere on the forums. Even so, making more complicated track layouts shouldn't be too much of a problem if you involve brands other than Kato; it just takes some inventiveness and willpower. :P

Martijn Meerts

Not sure about physical stores, but even Conrad has Unitrack in stock these days, and the prices are fair considering ordering from Japan adds shipping and import tax etc.

I could order a bunch and bring some bits to Rotterdam for you to use :)

Buying some Unitrack isn't a problem though, it should be somewhat easier to get than Fine Track at least.

Is that true in the Netherlands? I haven't seen it in stores, but then again, I haven't set foot in a store for a while now. If Unitrack is easy to get, I'll gladly opt for Unitrak as well. ;)

I've never ever seen any Tomix products in Dutch stores except the cleaning car. 200系 told me a while ago that De Wapstad in Rijswijk sells Unitrack (have been there a few years ago but wasn't in Japanese trains then yet and can't remember seeing Unitrack because of that). And I know of the webshops Katonl.com and n-spoorstore.nl, but I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

Not sure about physical stores, but even Conrad has Unitrack in stock these days, and the prices are fair considering ordering from Japan adds shipping and import tax etc.

That's what the shops I mentioned did too, but some products are even cheaper than ordering it yourself.
Martijn Meerts

that katonl.com place has a good selection of stuff, they even have some Japanese items =)

Might put an order in there for various bits of track to check out the store and the track :)

Aah, that's right. I forgot about that place (katonl.com)! IIRC ordering from there is cheaper than Conrad. Hmm... If I have my first wage in, I'll order a few straight pieces and a few conversion tracks for testing.

By the way, is anyone still up for a small meeting next Saturday in Houten? PM/contact me in private for my mobile phone number.

Martijn Meerts

I won't be able to make it to Houten this weekend, which is why I suggested Rotterdam ;)

I do want to go to Houten at some point though, hopefully by then we have some Japanese stuff to show, if they even allow that ..

There's also a (fairly big?) show coming up in October in Venlo. Part organized by 1 of the clubs here (so I don't have high hopes, because stuff they organize tends to be underwhelming ;)). That could be something to visit as well, and possibly set up a layout. Of course, I'm going to Japan in October, so I might not be able to make it at all :)

Ah, too bad. Well, we could meet in Rotterdam in June (my firm just received a few big assignments, so that'll probably put a hold on some activities this month).

If Densha isn't coming as well, then I'll probably only visit in the morning, since then it'll be the quietest I presume.

I dunno if I'm coming, coming month is quite impossible, but after then I do have more time on hands. Even then I'm not 100% sure though, so I'll decide at that time.

Hello folks! Some exciting stuff going on here!

As it happens I am moving from the UK to Delft in a couple of weeks... Most of my trams and some of my old Tomix track are coming with me.

Once I'm settled in it would be fun to meet up! I'm afraid I don't really have the construction skills (or the tools or the space) to build modules, but I'd be happy to bring the trams and some (Tomix?) tram track to meets.

Martijn Meerts

Ben, if you know a more specific date, we could plan our little meeting so you can come along. The place we're planning on meeting at has a large H0 scale Dutch prototype layout, as well as a Dutch prototype N scale layout under construction.

As for modules, we should be able to arrange something.. Someone could always build the wooden base for you, and glue/nail/screw the track in place. From there you can do the scenery however you see fit. Space shouldn't be a problem as the default straight module is really small.

Pretty sure we can work something out once we've got the initial details taken care of :)

Martijn Meerts

Right, I would suggest the first weekend (preferably saturday the 2nd) of June if that works for everyone who want to come.

As it happens I am moving from the UK to Delft in a couple of weeks... Most of my trams and some of my old Tomix track are coming with me.

I welcome you to my town! :grin

I'm arriving on May 16th. Looking forward to riding the den Haag trams...

The old GTL cars are still very nice trams to ride. The new RandstadRail trams are modern low-floor trams, but I have something for the GTL cars, probably because I've grown up with them. At the moment line 2 uses both the GTL and RandstadRail trams, from the evening rush hour until the last service it's a mixture due to certain infrastructure works (at Den Haag Centraal if I'm right), it's like that since a few weeks ago when the new trams were first put in use on line 2 and will stay like that for an indefinite time because it's unknown when the works will be done.

These sites have a lot of information and news concerning the public transport in The Hague and surroundings:

http://htmfoto.net/

http://www.digitaletram.nl/

http://haagsetrams.com/

http://www.haagstramnieuws.org/

I visit them almost daily, and it's really useful (to learn some Dutch too).

Also be prepared for traffic chaos when you arrive in Delft, trams are squirming through road works, straight through construction sites and above all other sorts of works. It doesn't only apply too trams, also to cars and all other forms of transport, so even walking can't be done normally at some places. The best example is the building of the railway tunnel and underground station of course, but there's also a lot of other things going on.

Martijn Meerts

Ben, we'll be meeting in Rotterdam yes. Not sure where exactly, but probably somewhere at a meeting point at or near the central station as I expect we're all coming by train.

The problem is that Rotterdam CS is a bit of a mess since they've been rebuilding it since forever, but we'll figure that out nearer to the date.

The reason for Rotterdam is http://www.miniworldrotterdam.com/ENGindex.htm .. It's near to the station, so we'll be walking over there, view the layouts, and then sit down a while in the cafe (or possibly go elsewhere, there are various Japanese/Sushi places nearby :)) to talk about the 'club'/modules.

Thanks Densha!

No problem! :laugh:

Ben, we'll be meeting in Rotterdam yes. Not sure where exactly, but probably somewhere at a meeting point at or near the central station as I expect we're all coming by train.

If I would go, it would be by train indeed.

The problem is that Rotterdam CS is a bit of a mess since they've been rebuilding it since forever, but we'll figure that out nearer to the date.
Just like all other train stations in this country.

The reason for Rotterdam is http://www.miniworldrotterdam.com/ENGindex.htm .. It's near to the station, so we'll be walking over there, view the layouts, and then sit down a while in the cafe (or possibly go elsewhere, there are various Japanese/Sushi places nearby :)) to talk about the 'club'/modules.
Whoa, suddenly they changed their website design. Those "Weekly Reports" are pretty interesting btw. Also I just thought about that it's possible to go "behind the scenes" there, never done that but I don't really know what's it all about. I don't know if it's fun/useful and if they will pretend as if we're all ignorant children or people who already know quite some things about model trains.
Martijn Meerts

Densha, last time I was there I did a behind the scenes tour.. It's quite interesting, they show you a lot of the electronics and all the hidden yards etc. But yeah, they do talk to you like you don't know anything about model trains :)

The guide I had started talking about their future plans for a Japanese layout and started talking a bit about the trains and the brands. He thought it was impressive to mention names like Tomix and especially MicroAce .. When I asked about for example Realline, World Kougei and Kawai though, he didn't really know how to respond though  :grin

Densha, last time I was there I did a behind the scenes tour.. It's quite interesting, they show you a lot of the electronics and all the hidden yards etc. But yeah, they do talk to you like you don't know anything about model trains :)

The guide I had started talking about their future plans for a Japanese layout and started talking a bit about the trains and the brands. He thought it was impressive to mention names like Tomix and especially MicroAce .. When I asked about for example Realline, World Kougei and Kawai though, he didn't really know how to respond though  :grin

Maybe it would be interesting in that case.

I don't know how to respond to Realline either. And I've only heard of World Kougei and Kawai just a couple of times. I'm still surprised they were actually talking about the Japanese layout then, I thought they scrapped the plan already a few years ago, but maybe it just happened when they started their Dutch N-layout.

Martijn Meerts

Well, I can't even remember what I was there last, it's quite a while ago.. I think that was before I moved back to The Netherlands even ;)

The plans for the Japanese layout were scrapped at least about 2 years ago now. I emailed them about it many months ago, and the person replying said she'd never heard of plans for a Japanese layout, and she'd worked that for over a year at the time. Maybe if we go there we can do a tour, and ask why they scrapped the Japanese layout in favor of (yet another) Dutch layout with a really boring track plan  :grin

• Like 1
Maybe if we go there we can do a tour, and ask why they scrapped the Japanese layout in favor of (yet another) Dutch layout with a really boring track plan  :grin

You mean: go out there and go do some lobbying to get that plan of a big Japanese layout on the tracks again? I bet they could use some expertise on research levels :P