Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

S33 piece of track.  Will work much like the 18.5 Tomix piece allowing spacing for island platform between 2 curves.

Not sure on the S38 though.  Any takers for explanation?

Maybe to let you use Tomix platforms with Kato track...? Just a guess. 

Or maybe to let you use a different 15 degree curve as a station entry?

Edited by nah00

Maybe to let you use Tomix platforms with Kato track...? Just a guess.

That would be a 37mm piece, not 38 if Kato specifically wanted to do this (which I very much doubt).

C11 as predicted by Model Train Plus but with the support bars for the tanks. Excellent news will be ordering two. Brexit £ to Yen rate may have improved by March 2017 or the reverse. 

61 series coaches have been produced by Tomix and Micro Ace while the 91 series has been made by MA on two occasions. May buy some 61 series coaches. 

I received an email from hobby search letting me know that the kato sakura shinkansen 800 series is now available for pre-order.  sorry hobby search and kato.  3 years too late.  tomix beat you a long time ago.

• Like 1

I received an email from hobby search letting me know that the kato sakura shinkansen 800 series is now available for pre-order.  sorry hobby search and kato.  3 years too late.  tomix beat you a long time ago.

I wish Tomix would re-release theirs. I need that U004 set.

Edited by Suica

Oh 651 series. Poor google translation says something about pantograph not in same location as actual train. So assume prototypically incorrect?

I would guess so... looking at the wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/651_series

Apparently, the 651-0 Hitachi is a dual arm pantograph, while the 651-1000 is a single arm one... but the picture on Kato shows a single arm one... so I really do not know what is wrong with the model from the actual...

Nevertheless, the exchangeable headmark and the LED changes is enough to make me want to get this set, together with it being a Roundhouse model and all ~  :)

Is the tomix model superior to the kato release?  I'd like to pick up a 800 series but I don't know which is the better buy.  I'll probably also pick up the C11 as well, and then find a 20 series sakura sleeper to match.

I don't know about superior.  Just that Tomix release and re-release their Shinkansens on a regular basis more than Kato do.  So Tomix versions are easier to locate.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

If you run the train a lot or have issues with dirty track the all wheel pickup of the tomix shinkansens of the last few years is a very big plus.

Jeff

• Like 1

I will be ordering the Kato 800 - I'm a big fan of the old style diaphragm couplers.  I don't really like the aesthetic of the Tomix diaphragms though I do see the benefits of the all wheel pick-up and I have a quite a few Tomix Shinkansens.  It all comes down to preferences, both brands are great!

Guest keio6000

i have gm smile train 30000.  it's a nice set.  i might go for the kato 40000, but not sure yet.  certainly, i like the choice even if i dont get it myself.

Plan02_99_119_th.jpg

Another track plan for the new bridges.  Personally I think the station build needs to be on the opposite side.  And the big open section in the middle left needs a truck load of long sidings.

My apologies to all if the obvious Kato diagrams weren't recognizable as obvious Kato Diagrams.

Also my posting of the obvious Kato diagrams were not an attempt to steal the credit. 

So the s38 is really only used if using the x90 crossing. The s33 can be really useful for getting a 66mm station gap in. Just wished it was out when I did my original design.

*Must resist 787* *explodes*

//EDIT

Report: 787 has succesfully been victorious...

Edited by TheNicofabi
  • Like 1

That Kiha-85!   :)   These kiha-85s are great for combining in various formations! I already have the Hida, so this one will be nice to run together with it ~ Also, it seems that the newer model has the LED interior lights and head/ tail lights over the older one. Surely getting this!

That 787... tempting ....