Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

It looks like the track sections are included, so you just have to use it for both full ends of your loop ;-)

I wonder if there's any reason that the attachments can't be used with straight bridge sections?

Looks like they can, they use s joiner on the top so bridge units that use sjoiners to attach to piers I'm guessing should work fine.

Jeff

Ps I think Charles was just questioning if they could.

Das Steinkopf

CoVSm4BUEAE1XTN.jpg

CoVSnAgVUAAT2N1.jpg

CoVSnHgUIAAYTI4.jpg

Looks like someone at Kato has a real fetish for the Iida Line, first it was a mass of passenger stock now it's this bridge, it is a dead ringer for the one at Shironishi right down to the pylons and the catenary masts, I am so going to buy this one.

post-3083-0-75601000-1469610019_thumb.png

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but the demo setup with the 2 car half train seems to have a straight section as the nearest bridge. The radius is fairly odd though. Does anyone know how does it fit into the current Kato track system?

Das Steinkopf

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but the demo setup with the 2 car half train seems to have a straight section as the nearest bridge. The radius is fairly odd though. Does anyone know how does it fit into the current Kato track system?

The end section is definitely a straight bridge section, I think they added it to show that the curved sections can be mated to straight sections.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Herr Steinkopf -

I'm glad you mentioned this bridge, as I've been attracted to - and puzzled by - it for a year.  My initial assumption was that the line was emerging from an even narrower valley on the right, necessitating the double bridge to align the track with the river.  Then I noticed the track upstream on the right riverbank, so couldn't decide just why they had built this structure vs. continuing the track on the right bank.  The only thing I could imagine was that the landowner's family had been there for many eras and wasn't interested in selling the land. 

Unless - there's some engineering consideration that isn't obvious from the available photos.

Do you know the reason?

Since the circular walkways don't show in the older B&W photo, I gather they're a more recent addition.

gallery_941_192_4036.jpg

I rather like the beveled catenary mast braces on this Konan bridge.

gallery_941_192_94941.jpg

• Like 2

Unless - there's some engineering consideration that isn't obvious from the available photos.

This part of the line has something to do with the 1955 rerouting. If you look from the other side on street view, it's clear that either this bridge or a tunnel was needed there as the right bank is too steep for a cut and routing the track straight above the river would have placed all the piers into the middle of the riverbed.

I've found this:

飯田線の代表的景観のひとつが、このS字橋(第6水窪川橋梁)です。
当初は対岸までをトンネルで結ぶ予定でしたが、活断層があるためにこのようになりました。
いまでも廃トンネルはそのまま残っているそうです。

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/usuiraruba/23951688.html

From this, it seems they attempted to build a tunnel but found the terrain unstable.

And a bit more info here:

http://www.green.dti.ne.jp/iida/kt/s35siro.html

Edited by kvp
Krackel Hopper

Curved bridge is super interesting.

R448 (17.64") is a bit of a strange choice.. maybe the start of some wider radius track options? 448 does fit into the Unitrack 33mm track spacing pattern.. one size smaller than the 481mm (#4 turnouts)

448mm matches turnout dimensions but for actual track radius dimensions to maintain the 33mm spacing it would be 447mm.. Huh.. 282, 315, 348, 381, 414, 447, 480..

Weird.. I never noticed that until just now

Strange as their super elevated curves are in the R480/R447 style.

I quite like them but suspect they didn't make them tighter as the amount of overhang on anything less than the R448 style would be too much for the girder width with they have already.

I'd be interested in some their tighter curves but will have to wait and see.

Interesting that Tomix puts out the embankment track too, both going for the odd bit of track lately in the new releases.

Das Steinkopf

Herr Steinkopf -

I'm glad you mentioned this bridge, as I've been attracted to - and puzzled by - it for a year. My initial assumption was that the line was emerging from an even narrower valley on the right, necessitating the double bridge to align the track with the river. Then I noticed the track upstream on the right riverbank, so couldn't decide just why they had built this structure vs. continuing the track on the right bank. The only thing I could imagine was that the landowner's family had been there for many eras and wasn't interested in selling the land.

Do you know the reason?

Since the circular walkways don't show in the older B&W photo, I gather they're a more recent addition.

gallery_941_192_4036.jpg

Likewise I found myself attracted to this bridge as it it snakes it's way through the valley, I have since found out from Nariichi's visit to the Ginza Matsuya Model Train Show that the Kato model is in fact based on the No 6 Misakubo River Bridge on the Iida Line. As mentioned by KVP the line was rerouted in 1955 between Ozore and Sakuma due to the construction of the Sakuma Dam and Hydroelectric Power Station, due to concerns that the line could be prone to flooding it was moved. They had originally planned to build a tunnel along the line but due to a culmination of diastrophism and torrential rains from a typhoon the tunnel was ruined and they decided to build the bridge instead, it is the longest bridge along the line at around 400m in length. Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

What a great photo above. Essential going around homes vs plowing thru the landscape and disrupting the balance of nature. Clearly, using the route of least resistance and challenging their civil engineers.

If that bridge is still in service. Wouldn't it be neat to fly one of those DJI 4 drones over it and under the bridge for a great video for YouTube. Just for something different visually.

Edited by Kb4iuj
Gordon Werner

NGI has posted 2 galleries of future KATO release prototypes here:

Vol.1 - https://picasaweb.google.com/ngauge.information/6313868360059698801?authkey=Gv1sRgCJDC3rTs3qaKywE&feat=embedwebsite

単線デッキガーダー曲線鉄橋R448-15°(仮称)緑/朱/灰・単線鉄橋用 円錐台形橋脚(仮称) (パネル)
単線デッキガーダー曲線鉄橋R448-15°(仮称)緑/朱/灰・単線鉄橋用 円錐台形橋脚(仮称)
単線デッキガーダー曲線鉄橋R448-15°(仮称)緑
単線デッキガーダー曲線鉄橋R448-15°(仮称)朱
単線デッキガーダー曲線鉄橋R448-15°(仮称)灰
EF70 1000
ED75 700
14系15形寝台特急「あかつき」
14系15形寝台特急「あかつき」 スハネフ15
14系15形寝台特急「あかつき」 オハネ15
781系
289系「くろしお」
289系「くろしお」 クロ288-2005
289系「くろしお」 モハ289-3405
HB-E300系「リゾートしらかみ」(青池編成)
20系寝台特急「日本海」 ナハネフ20
20系寝台特急「日本海」 カニ21
285系<サンライズエクスプレス>(ライト部新規)

Vol.2 - https://picasaweb.google.com/ngauge.information/6313870902821916961?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbIg63fgeKL0QE&feat=embedwebsite
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ (パネル)
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 521-7002
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 526-7004
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 527-7003
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 528-7002
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 525-7004
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 526-7202
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 527-7702
【鉄道模型コンテスト2016特製品】500系新幹線「500 TYPE EVA」タイプ 522-7002

• Like 3

Have to say Kato surprised me with special paper sleeve and bookcase.. and what's more, they make special re-railer with EVA livery... very nice indeed.. with this, I am sure they'll still have large number of fans though once the sets are on sale..

Is there a track design plan example for these new curved bridges? (i assume, they could be used as an S curve on an otherwise straight section of the layout, but more valid options would be nice)

448 is the 33 mm (one step) smaller curve to the 481 curved piece used by the #4 turnouts, so if Kato would release the 448 curve as a normal 15 degrees track piece, that would allow a double track loop of 448/481 (which is just 1 mm from the normal Kato 33 mm radius list centered around the 282 mm curve) Is there any information about this from official Kato sources?

Edited by kvp

(i assume, they could be used as an S curve on an otherwise straight section of the layout, but more valid options would be nice)

The prototype isn't valid enough for you?

Mudkip Orange

How do you make a layout out of that, is the thing.

You wouldn't figure Kato would release Unitrack assuming you're going to mate it with flextrack at both ends.

Looking at more images of the proto #6 Misakubo Bridge, I became disappointed that Kato had make the piers so short, and wished they would offer extensions for those who might want a closer to proto height.

I came across this video:

I then discovered that there was an earlier thread from 7 years ago:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/1175-s-shape-bridge/

There are two S-curves - one at each end of the bridge.  Although, most of the bridge spans directly over the water are straight, so technically there are no actual S-curves.

Since Kato is apparently selling the components separately, there's no reason you couldn't use the piers, platforms and masts with other manufacturer's bridge spans, allowing any radius you might want with flex track.

Is the Lida all diesel now?  I see that Kato includes hanger arms on their masts, but there is no catenary on the bridge.  I figured this was to "allow" modelers to run electric stock over the bridge sections.

Edited by velotrain

The iida line is dc electric and the linked video shows the overhead wires in place. This is what Kato modeled. By leaving out the walkways during assembly it's possible to set it up in JNR era or loose the catenary for a diesel line.

I'm looking for Kato standard geometry compatible track setups that work without flextrack and incorporate this new radius. So far i've only found two trivial ones.

The prototype looks to be 3x15 curved ground, 3 straight bridge, 7x15 curved bridge, 3 straight bridge, 2x15 curved bridge and 2x15 curved ground. I have to draw it to see the resulting path.

The iida line is dc electric and the linked video shows the overhead wires in place.

Quite right you are.  I had formed that thought previously, as I couldn't make out any pantographs on the equipment crossing the bridge - such as the B&W photo I posted and others I had seen.

I'm guessing the Sunrise 285s didn't make for July?

Yap.. Ami gave me a change of release date to September for this...

I don't get any notifications like that from AmiAmi.  I just noticed as no money had bee taken out of my account at the end of the month.  So I checked.

I have now combined it with the only other item on for September which was 950 yen worth of containers.

Edited by katoftw