S Shape Bridge

bill937ca

Beautifull, but I don't understand. Where is the famous S? I just see one curve. To be S shaped this bridge should have two opposite curves.

It's probably safe to assume that the length of the bridge and the topography did not allow for a better camera placement to record trains on the bridge.

Mudkip Orange

That's cool, you wonder if the residential area on the east bank of the river predated the railroad, thus a straight viaduct wouldn't work...

bikkuri bahn

It appears that originally there was a tunnel on the right bank of the river, but after the tunnel bore was completed, heavy rains and a typhoon undermined the surrounding soil and rock, forcing abandonment.  So it was decided to build a bridge instead.

Fuzzy picture shows original tunnel bore as well as the bridge under contruction:

http://www.d4.dion.ne.jp/~m_mori/kyouryoumisakubo/misakubo5.html

Landslide conditions around the tunnel:

http://www.d4.dion.ne.jp/~m_mori/kyouryoumisakubo/misakubo4.html

This line isn't too far from me (easy to reach for an afternoon trip) and I've made sketches trying to fit this bridge into a small layout. :)

Fenway Park

Is this the Iida Line ? Looks like a 119 rural EMU

The Iida Line used to have old EMUs plus ED19s and ED18s replaced by ED62s on short freight trains.

bikkuri bahn

You're right Fenway.  The Iida Line used to be a particular fan favorite, with lots of hand-me-down EMUs and the freights you mentioned.  Nowadays there is much more standardisation (and no freight), but the scenic qualities remain, of course.

Here's a nice out-the-front view from an Iida-line train going over this bridge, plus a bit  more. The HD version is great if you have a fast-enough connection to load it: