Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

It true. 2023 works for me. I've picked up enough TGVs recently. I'll probably develop a "need" by next year. I missed out on the last Lyria release. I'm not sure how I feel about that Ouigo train. It's maybe a bit ugly. Perhaps it'll grow on me.

Edited by gavino200
1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Considering it also has Kato product codes already I'd say it's a safe bet?

like this? 😇  (2013)

lemke13.thumb.JPG.46f114f22acf3100d0372c2af80c43e7.JPG

or maybe... (2014)...

lemke14a.thumb.jpg.1bfc51a6c69eed38fa77d79c92c349cb.jpg

a little better, Lyria and Duplex has been released 2 years after (and Lyria with different livery), Reseau "just" 4 years later and Thalys... "yesterday" 😂

(if you let me search I try to find more oldest PDF with big surprises...)

@disturbman correct, but for what I can see it was not a so big business for Kato, some shops still have them available, maybe a re-run of standard colors EG Duplex original or carmillon will be better....with his mold set they can produce all (excluding PSE and Atlantique family), but depend wich add licenses require and if the market absorb all (translated = until there are enough pre-orders from shops)

Ciao!

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You know better, @jappomania. I don’t follow European news so much. I’m surprised Kato would let the junior partner misadvertised their upcoming products.

@gavino200, it’s ugly, and striking. Ouigo is the SNCF low-cost service.

• Like 1

Thinking about it again those K-codes don't really make any sense. 10-919 for example (of the World Record TGV) is already occupied by a Kato Roundhouse set.

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

I’m surprised Kato would let the junior partner misadvertised their upcoming products.

Agreed, that probably shows how much they actually care about it 😄

• Like 2

I'm not sure I'd end up getting any of those proposed liveries, but I can't say I wouldn't either.

But I'll echo those above and say the orange Sud-Est would be my number 1 wish. Followed by re-run of the (non-reseau) duplex in blue. Those would be day 1 pre-orders for me.

Just glad there's enough of us interested to make me think it might happen one day. More TGVs is better!

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, disturbman said:

I’m surprised Kato would let the junior partner misadvertised their upcoming products.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, roadstar_na6 said:

Agreed, that probably shows how much they actually care about it 😄

mmmhhh  I have a different theory, or two... the precog fired from Minority Report now are working for ..... or somebody has bough a DeLorean DMC12 "pimped" from Doc.Brown....😂

Lemke 2009/2010

HT09-10.thumb.jpg.689b74b18db6eecb2a150261f021d04f.jpg

(the historic search end for now, other docs are stored on old IDE HDD and I don't have old motherboards still alive...)

anyway I don't think that Lemke is a bad distributor/importer, they need external OEM for his production so is not so simple to organize and when they release a new model normally is good, just to know that not everything that is published on the pampleth will be produced in the same year and something can be deleted caused eg. low pre-orders or license troubles, till now at 90% foreign Kato models has been produced thanks to the distributors like Lemke (central Europe) or Soldat (Spain -now closed), for the future.... ask to Doc Brown!

Ciao!

Massimo

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The 683 series door parts from KATO are similar to the Micro Ace alternatives; stick on door parts. You need to use some (weak) doublesided tape to affix the doors.

The benefit of this is is that you can just put the door parts on your existing 683 series.

KATO now sells these door parts separately for everyone that was dumb enough to purchase the opened door parts from KATO shop KYOTO wants make their 683 series prototypical.

You can pre-order it at your favorite japanese retailer. I am sure that these will sell out in an instant.

28-249 cost 660 yen, for 683 series in old color

Z04-0507 cost 550 yen, for 683 in current Thunderbird color

Both door parts have a June 2022 release date.

In order to be prototypical, you will need to exchange the lightboards also because the front lights stay illuminuated on both sides when 2 sets are joined. I am not sure if KATO will sell lightboards with a switch, but if not, you can purchase the ones from MiyakoMokei, part K-53 (Bulb Color). The switch to change from "Normal" to "Joined" lights pokes out underneath the train (where the switch to turn off the lightboard would usually sit). Miyakomokei does not sell to foreigners, but their items are available in wholesale specialized dealers (thus no proxy required).

Hopefully the door parts will sell out instantly so KATO is inspired to make more door parts for other trains. 

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 2

I would make a trip to Japan just for a Kato factory tour.

Hopefully they will still be doing tours when Americans are allowed to travel to Japan again. Hopefully I'm still alive when Americans are allowed to travel to Japan again.

• Like 3

Scheduled to open in May 2024, so hopefully things will have straightened themselves out somewhat by then (speaking as someone who hasn't been more than ca. 180km from Tokyo in the past 4 years...). If you're in a hurry, it seems the US military may provide some Japan travel options...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2024 seems like a possibility for me. I love factory tours, and well, I try unsuccessfully to not be a Kato fanboy. So this is a no-brainer. Tokyo here I come!

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 4

A good way to help offset some of the building costs and also shift your product to day trippers for premium price. Can we expect some factory exclusives in the future?

Dont think they’ll have room for more Unitram as that HO E6 pitched in 2013 will take up the extra space.😂

Must have been inspired by their recent work with Peco in the UK. 

https://www.pecorama.co.uk

Has the supply chain shortages hit the model train world as well? Just these last couple weeks there have been several postponments of expected releases.

The E4 that was supposed to come out this month has been pushed to the Apr. Same with the Kiha 181 that was supposed to release last month has been pushed to June. 

Tomix as well...their hikari rail star has been pushed back from release this month...

I have reservations for all of them 😖

Less supply chain issues and more of just catching up, with staff storages and floor closures due to covid in the past 6 months.

Edited by katoftw

I believe their have been lockdowns and other covid issuesas the delta variant of covid reached Japan the past couple of months. Kato have had a few delays and Tomix have had a lot of pushbacks of releases this year. Almost everything that Tomix originally slated to release in January was delayed, I have the kiha 261 preordered and that was pushed back from January to June! A lot of stuff originally for February and March delayed as well. Greenmax seem to be doing alright with keeping to their schedule though.

Edited by Arctic

Very excited for the JNR 415 series, as I think this paint scheme was also used in kyushu.  I hope to get a pair.  Might also pick up one or two tank cars to add to my fleet.

Yeah, not the most exciting collection of releases. Hoped for some more HO offerings like Taki 1000s and the 165 I think will get another run this year. Would be nice to have a few new items rather than updates. Can’t really get excited about a C11 starter set.

• Like 1

There’s hopefully some more interesting things to come in the last half of 2022. The catalogue hinted at possible 157 as there was a feature about the Odoriko services. In the mean time,

“Kamome has marked himself bored by July releases”

• Like 1