E655

Guest ___

I believe the flags and imperial chrysanthemum emblem or kamon are only displayed when a member of the royal family are aboard.

To bad , i love this train, it looks fantastic, im sure that if Kato-Tomix or Microace would make a model of this train, it would be a fast seller :-)

Brian

It seems like if one of the manufactures did make the E655, when it went on the "reserve list" at HS or HW it would be sold out in 24hrs.....if that long!

I thoguht part of the problem was when we last discussed this issue was the paint on the train changes color depending on how the sun hits it and that the makers haven't found a way to reasonably do this with the models.

Martijn Meerts

I thoguht part of the problem was when we last discussed this issue was the paint on the train changes color depending on how the sun hits it and that the makers haven't found a way to reasonably do this with the models.

Don't think it's an issue to be honest. Pearlescent paints are available from various manufacturers for use with standard airbrushes, and many scale car modelers already use pearlescent paints on their cars. Could be the specific color used on the E655 might be a problem, or that the machines used to paint the trains can't handle pearlescent paints. On the other hand, Kato's E5 paint coat has a certain pearlescent effect to it as well judging form the pictures...

I'm sure Kato could replicate the finish with accuracy, they are masters of the art of painting, their stainless steel cars are the best in the business, even Micro-Ace did a reasonable job IMHO on the metallic green of the Yufuin no Mori and that was a few years ago now. I still think the real reason is that there is some sort of protocol or maybe even an unwritten gentlemen's handshake agreement not to model the current Imperial train, I believe the Japanese Emperor is held in much higher reverence by his subjects than other world monarchs. Other Japanese trains have hit the shelves in Kato, Tomix or Micro-Ace boxes almost before the real ones have hit the rails.

IDK, I could have sworn that the EF5861 was in service when its model was released.

Yes the loco was, but what about the Imperial train, more specifically the Emperor's car itself, has one ever been modeled while still in use by the Emperor?

For something that you would think would sell faster than Kato's production line could pump them out, or would fit Micro-Ace's 'one of a kind train' policy like a glove there has to be something stopping them.

CaptOblivious

IDK, I could have sworn that the EF5861 was in service when its model was released.

Yes the loco was, but what about the Imperial train, more specifically the Emperor's car itself, has one ever been modeled while still in use by the Emperor?

For something that you would think would sell faster than Kato's production line could pump them out, or would fit Micro-Ace's 'one of a kind train' policy like a glove there has to be something stopping them.

At the same time, since the E655 is often run sansImperial salon, you'd think that perhaps they'd do a model of the charter-able version of the train, and offer the Imperial salon as an add-on later on down the road, maybe? This is only very weak evidence against your otherwise plausible hypothesis, but it's at least something to mull over.

The Series 655 has only been in service for about 18 months, and I have had Kato's Imperial train for about four years.

Angus

In fact Microace's 2002 catalogue had the then current Imperial train (A4710) as well as it's predecessor.  Interesting the the latest Kato catalogue shows the previous Imperial train as a future release.  There must be something subtly different about it, as opposed to a normal re-release.

Angus

In fact Microace's 2002 catalogue had the then current Imperial train (A4710) as well as it's predecessor.  Interesting the the latest Kato catalogue shows the previous Imperial train as a future release.  There must be something subtly different about it, as opposed to a normal re-release.

Angus

I didn't realise Micro-Ace had the previous train out that long ago. That does shoot down my theory.