E655

Guest ___

CaptOblivious

I wish there were a model available, but there isn't. I've been keeping my eyes open, 'cause I'd love one too.

Don - I think you could be right about the paint. When you watch the prototype video, everything reflects off the paint of the train. On what situations is the train used for?

It's used for the Emperor or state guests on 1067mm lines.  There's more information on Japanese Wkipedia.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR%E6%9D%B1%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%ACE655%E7%B3%BB%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A

It's only been in service for a year, first trial run was October 25, 2007.  I don't think it sees the light of day very often which may be why there isn't a model.  Those videos you see were probably taken during testing when the train ran empty. 

There goes my ride on it.  :P

It's used for the Emperor or state guests on 1067mm lines.  There's more information on Japanese Wkipedia.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR%E6%9D%B1%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%ACE655%E7%B3%BB%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A

It's only been in service for a year, first trial run was October 25, 2007.  I don't think it sees the light of day very often which may be why there isn't a model.  Those videos you see were probably taken during testing when the train ran empty. 

Early on this train earned the very unofficial nick name of 'cockroach' because of the black/brown color.  It somethings runs as a five car train without the Imperial saloon.

It reminds me of the PRR maroon streamlines of the 50's, but for some reason the front reminds me of the Amtrak Genesis units.

There are some trains in Hokkaido that seem to have a similar shape like the series 789.

Bill, I think the similarity between the two trains is fairly superficial. Both the E655 and 789 were described in Japan Railfan Magazine No.10 of 2007, and  if I read the specs correctly, the E655 stock is larger, heavier and less powerful than the series 789 cars.

Funny thing is, even though I'm not normally a fan of modern trains, I quite like the looks of both these trains. In particular, the E655, which manages to look futuristic and retro at the same time - no mean feat.

All the best,

Mark.

I don't know the series number of this train, but it is similar in general design. How about a kit bash?  Only problem with kit bashing Japanese trains is they are the pricey side if the project fails. Just a thought.

haruka(Series 281)

p.s.

This is a Series 281 operated between Shin-Osaka and Kansai International Airport and available from Kato.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10006598

;D

Martijn Meerts

I guess the biggest problem would be getting a good coat of paint on the E655 version. I believe they use a pearlescent paint on the real one.

Simple solution, get that kid who kitbashed the 787 Series Relay Tubame with a more accurate paint scheme. He was hi-lighted in another thread.  ;D

I'd assume sooner or later one of the big three will release a set.

I don't know Aaron, after seeing the new videos Bill posted, that paint scheme is outstanding and to replicate it might be too costly.

When I saw Bill's post at first I thought Kato was going to produce it in new releases and I was excited about that but when I went to translate it, it didn't make any sense even the picture is odd....I guess it' what they call, "lost in translation?"

When I saw Bill's post at first I thought Kato was going to produce it in new releases and I was excited about that but when I went to translate it, it didn't make any sense even the picture is odd....I guess it' what they call, "lost in translation?"

It's an E655 EMU cow!!   :laugh: