Jump to content

Tomix - New Releases


bill937ca

Recommended Posts

disturbman

No worries, I thought I read somewhere that the new 100 series Grand Hikari model was based on an old and slightly incorrect mold. I might have mixed my Shinkansens models, this is really not my domain. Maybe it was only unimproved molds. Or maybe @Yavianice knows the answer to your question.

  • Like 1
Link to post
railsquid
On 3/29/2021 at 4:35 AM, 200系 said:

And while it's true that the all wheel pickup system reduces flickering, all the additional pickups also increases rolling resistance by a margin, which to me is quite noticeable.

 

As (AFAIK) most if not all modern models have pickups by default for adding lighting, surely that doesn't make any real difference?

Link to post
Yavianice

I notice no real difference in roll resistance between kato and Tomix trains. But I’m probably spoiled by Japanese brands as roll resistance for European trains with pickups is usually abhorrent. Also in my opinion the difference in “flicker free” lighting due to electric couplers is only marginally better, my Tomix trains are just as good/bad as my kato trains in general on relatively clean track. If anything I like electric couplers less because the distance between cars is larger and the cars don’t align as well as with kato couplers, and they are annoying to setup. My 2 cents.

 

I choose the brand of shinkansen trains on model looks and correctness. I’d say the ratio between the brands is about 45-45-10 between Tomix, kato, and MA. There is no real answer which brand is best in general, it’s all model specific. I prefer kato because their motor construction and couplers are better, and they run quieter (e.g. a 2 motor Tomix shinkansen is loud as heck!)

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 3/29/2021 at 9:08 PM, Yavianice said:

I prefer kato because their motor construction and couplers are better, and they run quieter (e.g. a 2 motor Tomix shinkansen is loud as heck!)

 

You can also sometimes have the problem of one motor car running at a slightly different speed than the other. Luckily since (usually) you run shinkansen at higher speed this is less of a problem. However at higher speed I've always found the enjoyable sound of 64 pairs of wheels going over the track to be much louder than the motor. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Yavianice
14 hours ago, nah00 said:

You can also sometimes have the problem of one motor car running at a slightly different speed than the other. Luckily since (usually) you run shinkansen at higher speed this is less of a problem. However at higher speed I've always found the enjoyable sound of 64 pairs of wheels going over the track to be much louder than the motor. 

 

For sure. I just wish that a KATO 16 car shinkansen goes up a 2% slope without going up in a puff of smoke 🙃

  • Haha 3
Link to post
JR 500系

 

A new release video by Tomytec and Tomix... What is really interesting is the 'Train display in park' diorama piece and the much anticipated re-release (with new improvements) of the moving bus system chassis!!! It also seems to run on batteries (YES) and a retractable chassis for small to large wheel base type buses! 

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 2
Link to post
Madsing
48 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

re-release (with new improvements) of the moving bus system chassis

If I understand well:

- Chassis adjustable in length

- Single "button" battery (instead of two)

- Same running time as now. 5 hours?

- Battery accessible from the bottom of the chassis (without having to remove the bus body)

- No release date yet

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Link to post
Yavianice

The most amazing thing about this months announcements is that the 485 series will also have removable doors. Seems that Tomix is going on the removable doors train and that the Tobu 500 series with removable doors wasn't a one off!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Sheffie

What’s the appeal of removable doors? I’d be afraid of losing them 

Link to post
disturbman

Prototypically coupling it with another consist. You probably swap the front, not just the doors.

  • Like 1
Link to post

And nice to have the detail option of open doors rather than a custom version that you cannot change. 

 

I’m very happy about the ED76 0 in HO but it had to be the Kato 20系 release month didn’t it. I’d better get saving now. 

Link to post
gavino200

The 200 is tempting me, but I'm trying to stay focused on my layout for the time being. I might be able to resist. 

Link to post
Kamome

The 1:80 JR EF66 is a bit boring for me as the only HO announcement. Was hoping for something a bit more interesting or a run of things that are difficult to find on the used market. Still a few interesting things to come this year though and I’m sure JR blue trains are of interest to many others.

Link to post

Finally I can get the add-on for my 200 Series, I was wondering when that was going to be re-released. I hope I numbered my old set right and that the transfers are still good, I seal them in a plastic bag to keep moisture away from them. 

 

3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

The 200 is tempting me, but I'm trying to stay focused on my layout for the time being. I might be able to resist. 

To be fair the 200 isn't really too exciting Shinkansen-wise. I like the paint scheme so that's the main draw for me plus it's JR East so it falls into the 'it's okay to buy it' bucket. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
jappomania
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nah00 said:

Finally I can get the add-on for my 200 Series, I was wondering when that was going to be re-released. I hope I numbered my old set right and that the transfers are still good, I seal them in a plastic bag to keep moisture away from them. 

 

To be fair the 200 isn't really too exciting Shinkansen-wise. I like the paint scheme so that's the main draw for me plus it's JR East so it falls into the 'it's okay to buy it' bucket. 

 

the good news, fortunately is not another K47 😂, the bad news, is a different item/s code, so I'm not sure what change and if it's 100% compatible with the old one (the new engine like the last 200 F sets but the U shape coupler? I don't remeber if the old one have the same system but I don't think.. 8 years ago...)
I'm a little bit worried, if I have to buy back all the last 10-12 years of Shinkan-Tomix releases just for the new engine......😭😭😭

 

 

ops.. forgot from the Tomix poster

"Also, due to consolidation, the motor is different from the current 400 series Shinkansen products, so it cannot be used."  so stay tuned, a new release of 400 series will be planned?

(for the same reason the last 200F series can't be coupled/merged with the previous... 😞)

 

Edited by jappomania
Link to post
Yavianice
26 minutes ago, jappomania said:

ops.. forgot from the Tomix poster

"Also, due to consolidation, the motor is different from the current 400 series Shinkansen products, so it cannot be used."  so stay tuned, a new release of 400 series will be planned?

(for the same reason the last 200F series can't be coupled/merged with the previous... 😞)

 

This translation on Hobbysearch is a bit wonky, the google translation on the official webpage is a bit clearer.

 

- this set cannot be used in conjunction with the previous 200 series sets such as 92853 because a different coupler is used

- the motor characteristics are different so a joined usage with the 400 series as well as the E3 series is not recommended (probably the new engines are more powerful).

 

so this doesn’t necessarily point at a new 400 series release. I am not sure they will make one since it’s not the most popular shinkansen out there. But that it’s not compatible with the E3 either, I’m a bit curious how different this engine is, since the E3 isn’t that old of a model.

Link to post
jappomania
13 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

so this doesn’t necessarily point at a new 400 series release. I am not sure they will make one since it’s not the most popular shinkansen out there. But that it’s not compatible with the E3 either, I’m a bit curious how different this engine is, since the E3 isn’t that old of a model.

 

right, but a new train with nose end coupler and nothing to be joined can't be a long time option

before or after I think they don't lose the opportunity to renew all the catalog (on yahoo you can find tons of the first 400-6 cars release, but the last is not so easy to find, the last release of 400 series was 10-12 years ago instead E3 renewed is a 2015 release)

 

also, this time the add-on set have only trailer cars, power unit is optional.. (according to HS site) like you told, probably the new engines are more powerful.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
gavino200

The price is pretty decent. And November is so far away it's practically never. Just placed my order! 

Link to post
8 hours ago, Yavianice said:

This translation on Hobbysearch is a bit wonky, the google translation on the official webpage is a bit clearer.

 

- this set cannot be used in conjunction with the previous 200 series sets such as 92853 because a different coupler is used

 

Well so much for finishing my set. Just have to keep remembering to check Mandarake from time to time.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...