Tomix - New Releases

I believe it is a clear skylight like section which can be punched out.  But I have seen roof sections like this on You Tube.

Is that white section in the middle of the platform roof to allow use with their overhead station stairs?

I believe it is a clear skylight like section which can be punched out.  But I have seen roof sections like this on You Tube.

Yap, they are for the stairs of the overhead station to punch in through. Here are some pictures from my layout to illustrate this:

post-819-0-03105300-1486175589_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-65532500-1486175590_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

NGI has placed an overview on recently announced Tomytec products: http://www.jp-ngauge.info/ngi/2017/02/tomytec2017-2f2d.html

Highlights:

Keisei 3500 type former livery 4-car set

Jomo Railway 700 type

Akita Nairiku Juukan Tetsudou AN8900 'MORIYOSHI EXPRESS'

Kotoden 600 type (green livery was included in Vol. 12, the new release has the red livery)

Bus Collection 22

Although it's not really my thing, the Akita Nairiku train is a very surprising release to me. Meanwhile, the fact that Bus Collection 22 contains an Ohmi Tetsudou means that I'll be buying my first model bus in years!

NGI has also placed a few photos of upcoming releases: http://www.jp-ngauge.info/ngi/2017/02/tomytec2017-f786.html

The Chikuho and Fukuram trams are really tempting...

Edited by Densha

That sound system looks really cool, If you can get Akihabara announcements and sounds I may get one. but I would need it as two platforms rather than an island one.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned earlier but have Tomix given any indication of the sounds that will be on the system?

Forgive me if this has been mentioned earlier but have Tomix given any indication of the sounds that will be on the system?

I'm not sure on this, but I think I read there is a space for USB and the option of being available to import sounds to the system...

• Like 3

I'm not sure on this, but I think I read there is a space for USB and the option of being available to import sounds to the system...

cool that sounds useful

I wish KATO is going to make platforms like this. The "modern" platform set is already 10 years old and are becoming rare online, so who knows, there might still be hope for people using unitrack... or can Tomix platforms be comfortably used with Unitrack?

Edited by Yavianice

Say what?

A- Katos detailing is still better than Tomixs.  Doesn't matter if it is 10 year old or not.  Tomix has not had an equivalent platform since Kato brought theirs out first in 2008.  This is a long time coming catch up by Tomix.  And I'm sure Tomix models that want to make a contemporary layout are very happy.

B- The Kato modern platforms are not rare online.  Every piece is available on Hobbysearch right now.  I just checked.  Both island and one sided.  Tomix are yet to do one sided.

Edited by katoftw

Say what?

A- Katos detailing is still better than Tomixs.  Doesn't matter if it is 10 year old or not.  Tomix has not had an equivalent platform since Kato brought theirs out first in 2008.  This is a long time coming catch up by Tomix.  And I'm sure Tomix models that want to make a contemporary layout are very happy.

Having never owned the TOMIX platforms, but looking at the video, I am still quite impressed.

B- The Kato modern platforms are not rare online.  Every piece is available on Hobbysearch right now.  I just checked.  Both island and one sided.  Tomix are yet to do one sided.

Currently in Germany/Netherlands, not every piece is available online (especially modern platform type A and the overhead expansion set), only from the official importer at very high prices. Though I am considering to purchase it from Japan, with customs. Unless the TOMIX platforms turn out to be more affordable/prettier. Note that even Hobbysearch also does not have -every- item in stock, such as the modern platform set and the modern overhead expansion set. This and the sudden inflated prices on Amazon makes me think that the sets (or at least parts of this set) are becoming more rare, or that KATO is going to release a new version soon?

I've seen a comparison somewhere. I can't seem to find it but if you use Unitrack you should use Kato platforms. Kato and Tomix platforms have a different height and distancetowards the rails so it might look a bit awkward if you mix systems or wont even work correctly. 

I didn't look at the overhead station pieces.  I thought the discussion was about platforms since Tomix has not released any new overhead station pieces, only platforms pieces.

I haven't noticed price increases for Katos modern station pieces.  Maybe it is a locality issue.

I don't think 2 of 15-20 items being sold out portrays the deletion of said product line or a replacement coming any time soon.  Products can go out of stock all the time.

The suburban platforms are all in stock here in the us at the same prices they have been. I would not base anything on Amazon prices as its usually an odd lot that sells train stuff and I've seen widely ranging and changing prices and availability of stuff there. At the rate that kato releases product like this I think it's going to be a long time until a new platform system will be released. The old one was around for 15+ years before the suburban platforms came out.

Cheers

Jeff

Please allow me to share some findings on using different brands tracks and platforms...

While I have yet to try using Kato Unitrack versus Tomix platforms, I am actually using Tomix Fine track versus Kato platforms.

Please refer to my post on my layout sometime back: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6679-my-japanese-n-scale-diorama-new-dinning-table-layout/?p=116241

We can see that Tomix tracks does work pretty well with Kato platforms, with the height and all almost matching... I cant say the same for vice versa, but my guess is it shouldn't be far off...

With the introduction of the new Tomix platforms, though pretty, I would still stick with my Kato ones since I have already 'fitted' them with lights and people (trust me it's time consuming to stick the people on the platform) and use Tomix tracks as I have tried and checked they are fine... Only problem now is whether the Tomix speaker likes the Kato platform, but I guess it's easy to overcome this with just some masking tape...

The main problems with mixing Tomix and Kato tracks and platforms are the track to track distances that results in different platform widths and the different turnout curves that make using the curved ends problematic. So as long as you stick to side platforms, that should be easy enough, but anything more complex and the geometries won't match up, even if the heights and track to platform edge distances could be matched.

The main problems with mixing Tomix and Kato tracks and platforms are the track to track distances that results in different platform widths and the different turnout curves that make using the curved ends problematic. So as long as you stick to side platforms, that should be easy enough, but anything more complex and the geometries won't match up, even if the heights and track to platform edge distances could be matched.

There was an extensive previous discussion on using the Kato island station with Tomix track, and a solution was found.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8079-my-modular-layout-shin-yamanote/

• Like 1

Some Tomytec models have moving plastic pantographs out of the box. I left them this way on my 205 series sets as they look ok. (also left the cheap plastic spring couplers as they had the right gap) Some Tomytec trams also have moving pantographs out of the box and there are no metal variants for them as they are so one of a kind that it's not worth it.

• Like 1