My 3’x7’ Japan Inspired Layout

Maxx Zteel

Maxx Zteel

IMG_1490.thumb.jpeg.d85b99538803be6a2cfdab12a3146c85.jpegIMG_1516.thumb.jpeg.e0d5fa8d9071d164ff57f35f859ce076.jpegIn December of 2022 I made first trip to Japan and fell in love with its rail network and history. I even went to the KATO stores in Tokyo and Kyoto and bought my first N scale and first Japanese model trains. Even made a stop at the Kyoto Railway museum.

Fast forward to May of 2023 I had purchased more trains, track, and accessories to begin building a new layout. 
It took about two months to build and detail, but for my first layout since I was a kid, I’m happy with it. 

below, you see how it was built from ply board and foam. My initial track planning and laying, and later detailing. 

• Like 4
Maxx Zteel

So because of apparent file size constraints. I’ll have to reply to my starting post a few times. 

The top layer of my layout is purple insulation foam from Home Depot, painted a basic grey (left over from house painting). I laid out my track in the shape I wanted and traced it out in pencil. I cut some holes under the switch points and power supply track to run wires below. 

once the wires were in place. I began to pin down the track. Little by little, the layout took shape

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1548.jpeg

• Like 2
Maxx Zteel

With the wiring down and to be later organized. I did a test run of all the tracks and points. Began to think about the small town layout as well. 

IMG_1553.jpeg

IMG_1549.jpeg

• Like 2
Maxx Zteel

After track laying, I went into ballast and ground detail. I covered all the track in painters tape to protect it from the glue and ballast. 
Using woodland scenic products, I tried to match the ballast color as best I could. A mix of two greens and brown ground cover was used to make the grass and natural ground cover. 

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1588.jpeg

• Like 5
Maxx Zteel

After starting on the ground cover, I began to experiment with foliage. I remember seeing many small gardens and farms when I travel through the countryside of Japan. Between Tokyo and Kyoto, later between Sasebo and Fukuoka. 
Thinking on that, I arrange some ground cover and foliage to mimic those small farms and gardens. Later I would add premade rice paddies from Tomytec.

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

• Like 1
Maxx Zteel

As the layout came together. I pulled up the tap from the tracks and began test runs again. All but one of my switches work remotely, power worked in all sections. 

For the time. I’m happy with it. 

IMG_1612.jpeg

IMG_1613.jpeg

• Like 3
Maxx Zteel

Some detail shots of the station and farm. 

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1617.jpeg

• Like 3