The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum.  You asked us why you should get involved with Japanese trains.  Let me start by saying that many of us have an association with Japan other than model trains, such as having lived there, worked there, been educated there, or having a Japanese spouse.  For those of us in that position, the trains came second, or third ... or fourth even ... (but if your trains come fourth you're not a serious modeller in my book). 

But if you have none of these relatoinships with Japan then you need to be seduced some other way.  Many of the people here simply saw a Japanese layout at a show and started from there, or discovered them on the internet.  If you're teetering on the edge my suggestion is this:

1. Take some time to explore the "Japan travel tips and memories" section of Platform 6.  I happen to be spending quite a bit of time in there myself as I'm planning a trip to Japan later in the year.  This section will give you a good idea of what types of trains are running and where.  You'll find the scenery dramatic, the colours vivid (especially in spring and autumn) and I'm sure your imagination will be inspired.

2. At the very least, read westfalens 4 part series on his recent trip.  Here's the link to the first part.  He's covered just about everything from the shinkansen (bullet train) to small private freight yards and train museums to track-side noodle shops.

3. I recommend to every new member that they also browse the Hobby Search website.  It's easy to understand.  The key manufacturers of N-scale Japanese rail are Kato, Tomix, Microace, Greenmax and Modemo.  Take a look at the menus on the left side of that page and browse the trains available from each manufacturer.  When you find something you like use Google and Google Earth to learn about where it runs.

4. Read the stickies in the N Gauge section of Platform 2;

5. I have no idea what you fancy but here's a few things for you to google (using google images) and wiki:

- Hankyu Railways

- HAkone Tozan Railway

- Odakyu

- Yufuin no mori train

- Tokyo Metro train

- Nankai Electric Railway

- Series 165 train

- Azusa train

- Shinkansen - particularly these series: 0, 100, 200 and 500, but there's a heap of others as well.

I'm looking forward to plenty of questions.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Worldrailboy, Lenz made 0-scale affordable over here. Very good models for a very good price. The problem is that they require a ton of space ;)

Worldrailboy, Lenz made 0-scale affordable over here. Very good models for a very good price. The problem is that they require a ton of space ;)

.... which, presumably, is unaffordable ...  :grin  :grin  :grin ... the space, that is ...

Cheers

The_Ghan

Welcome Ian.

As someone without a large amount of free space, I like the idea of running Japanese trams on a compact layout that doesnt take over the house.

Martijn Meerts

Ghan, not really.. I have space for a nice point to point branch line 0-scale layout, but that's the same space I have allocated for the N-scale stuff =)

Thank you all for the welcomes, links and tips. There's a lot to study, though as I plan to focus on non-electrified lines, that in itself will no doubt limit my choices, probably no bad thing.

Well the Unitrack M2 and V3 packs have arrived. Now I just need some trains, benchwork and a track plan.

But the great idea was to actually run some trains so I've dipped my toes in the water and ordered a Kato DF200, two Taki 43000 tankers, two Hoki 2200 hoppers and what seems to be the U.K.'s last two car set of Koki 104 flat cars with containers. After taking my order for a DF200-50 Eco (Red Bear), the hobby shop called to say none of the three he had in stock worked (!) so would I take a DF200 without the "Red Bear" lettering? He said it was an earlier model (and a bit cheaper) so hopefully it will be OK.

Unfortunately it'll be more questions than answers on this forum for a while, but I hope to throw my two-cents worth in now and again.

Kind regards,

Ian

My name is Paul and I have and as of today my daughter is 2 1/2 years old.  We have purchased some a Tomy Tomica Hypercity Train Set along with some extra rail and items.  We live in San Diego California and have limited availability to Tomy Tomica Hypercity products.  We would like to learn about Plarail and Hypercity Tomy Tomica as to waht items can be put together.  Our goal is to learn as much as we can and put together and ever changing custom set.  We would like to know everything there is to know about Plarail and Tomy Tomica Hypercity.

Plan is to also graduate to a HO or O gauge train set and do the same once we feel comfortable.

We would love any feedback on clubs for Tomy Tomica Trains (Plarail) and where to get products with reasonable shipping cost.

Please email or message us or reply if you have any information you would like to share.

welcome valanDad,

hey good dad, get her started early on the trains! plarail is really great for that, very robust, functional, and versatile. never seen a lot of plarail here in the states. it sometimes pops up a bit in big box stores, but seems only for a season or a little marketing try. you can luckily orders stuff easily from japan like hobby search (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/998/0/1  you will see more categories in the left nav bar like half way down) or from ebay as well. i know one of our train club members here ordered a lot of trains at pretty good prices off of ebay from hong kong.

there are a number of members that have plarail interests and some threads here

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php?action=search2

but feel free to open up new threads with specific questions!

btw if you are interested in japanese trains you may have to move to n scale as HO and O scale japanese is usually pretty to very expensive and much more limited in models than the N scale (N scale is like 95% of the japanese market).

enjoy!

jeff

CaptOblivious

Welcome!

My three and a half old girl loves her Plarail. Most of it was ordered over the internet via eBay or Plaza Japan (1999.co.jp), or purchased on holiday in Japan. It's great fun, but we've also been working on teaching her how to drive and carefully handle n scale trains with great success, so don't be afraid to jump in with a smaller scale.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures with your daughter!!

My name is Paul and I have and as of today my daughter is 2 1/2 years old.  We have purchased som a Tomy Tomica Hypercity Train Set along with some extra rail and items.  We live in San Diego California and have limited availability to Tomy Tomica Hypercity products.  We would like to learn about Plarail and Hypercity Tomy Tomica as to waht items can be put together.  Our goal is to learn as much as we can and put together and ever changing custom set.  We would like to know everything there is to know about Plarail and Tomy Tomica Hypercity.

Plan is to also graduate to a HO or O gauge train set and do the same once we feel comfortable.

We would love any feedback on clubs for Tomy Tomica Trains (Plarail) and where to get products with reasonable shipping cost.

Please email or message us or reply if you have any information you would like to share.

Hello everyone, 皆さん、こんにちは,

I am a DIY steam engine enthusiast from Germany. Just watched Akira Kurosawa's 1943 movie "Sanchiro Sugata" (set in the 1870s) and was wondering about the steam locomotive in the last scene of part 1. I will post my question and a picture in another section of this forum.

Warm regards,

Fred

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

Hello everyone, 皆さん、こんにちは,

I am a DIY steam engine enthusiast from Germany. Just watched Akira Kurosawa's 1943 movie "Sanchiro Sugata" (set in the 1870s) and was wondering about the steam locomotive in the last scene of part 1. I will post my question and a picture in another section of this forum.

Warm regards,

Fred

Welcome Fred! I'm sure someone must know the answer; That's one of Kurosawa's films I haven't seen so I can't say for certain at all.

• Like 1

Hello: I live in Monterrey Mexico, but i had the experience to be in Japan for about 2 years in different ocassions, I normally model HO but I do N scale just for japanese trains, I have a few, but I fell in love with the Takaoka -Himi line and the Johana Line back in 1997 when they were colorfull. I do have one single car from Kato in the yellow and blue and white scheme, and i painted another model with the green and white middle line, I will model a little N scale layout but woul like to share ideas and maybe get some models from other memebers in the trade zone.

So I will be in touch soon.

Takaoka-Himi - Welcome to the forum. You're going to love N scale....just think about all the extra space you're going to have. I look forward to reading your posts.

I'm Ken from near Chicago.  I'm a long-time modeler in many scales that has a real interest in the N scale trams that have hit the market, especially the Kato Portram.  I'm considering building a small portable tram layout for fun and to take to shows.

Hi, everyone!

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum....there has been a lot of discussion about the Portrams here at the forum with many members having purchased them. Enjoy reading about the Portram and ask questions here at JNS.

Hello,

My name is Christopher and I have been modeling in O but have just started in N. After  speaking with a Kato distributor at the train Show in Amherst this weekend i became more familiar with N and am very impressed.  As opposed to most modules in the US I have no interest in freight trains. I love passenger rail, especially modern trains like the Acela (my first N purchase). I am looking forward to learning about N scale on this site as it seems more geared towards the type of layouts I think I might enjoy.

Also, the person I spoke with mentioned that in Japan many people bring out their track for a session and then put it back.  Permanent layouts are not as common as in the States. That really changed everything for me. I love the idea of putting down a layout, and then changing it up once I'm board. Love it!

Looking forward to learning...

Seabilliau

Hi Christopher and welcome to the forum. If you like passenger trains than the Japanese RR is the place for you. There are so many different varieties of passenger trains to choose from. Also switching from O to N scale will give you lots of room to put down a temporary layout. Have fun!

Welcome Seabilliau

yes its true that many in japan dont have a permanent layout and just do temporary layouts on the floor. Kato unitrak and Tomix finetrack were designed to go together on more uneven surface of tatami mats. guys will take over someone's living room floor for the weekend or a group get together at a community center or other public room for a day of train running. you can do  a lot with small scenery bits, colored construction paper and some buildings! our train club, japan rail modelers did our first show layout this way for about 6 years

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/layout/layout.1.0.html

also here is an great article on doing changeable layouts with small scenery bits.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

keep us posted on your progress!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Christopher, it's not common to see people more interested in American passenger than freight :)

I had the chance of experiencing a ride on the Acela from Washington to New York last year, and I absolutely loved it. Very comfortable ride. And while my main interest is Japanese trains, I do occasionally buy some American stuff as well, mainly the older named trains. Fairly recently got the full 18-car Morning Daylight to go with my GS-4, very impressive :)

• Like 1

Hello, 

I'm Evan from Windsor, Ontario, Canada and have just been bitten by the N scale bug - Japanese style!  As mentioned earlier, I do have a connection, being a 3rd generation Japanese-Canadian.  Unfortunately, it pretty much stops there - I have never learned the language or been there to visit, although I do have relatives there but have no idea who they are . . . However I do remember looking at Japanese books many years ago that had pictures of the 1st Shinkansen Tokkaido Line trains and have never forgotten them.  I think I'm kind of going back to my roots, getting into Japanese trains and listening to Japanese music as well.  I just picked up a Kato Panoramic Alps Resort train (10-158) and have an 'Around the Kyushu' Express train on order.  I have a 21' wall in the garage opening up shortly and plan to have a dogbone along the wall, with the intention of trying my hand a scenicking for the first time - can't wait to try the catenary!  I have been in HO for the past 20 years or so, but find N scale much more compelling, especially with the incredible variety of the Japanese trains.  I've also resigned myself to the fact that these are just way too small to superdetail - as even HO details seem to be getting smaller and smaller.  So that means I can spend more time just running and enjoying them which is something that I have never really done.  I do have a couple of questions that I'm sure are more suited to another topic thread (?)  Anyway, I sure have enjoyed reading the posts and hope I can contribute in some way.

Evan

Welcome Evan,

There is so much information on this forum that after two years I'm still discovering interesting facts buried in old threads.  Take your time to get to know what is available and from where. For example, there are some really expensive retailers and others that are quite economical to deal with, despite international postage rates.  Apart from this you'll have a few important decisions to make: which brand of track, and whether to stick with DC or go DCC (digital).  Of course, feel free to ask questions in the appropriate threads.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Welcome Evan!

Glad you found the variety of Japanese n scale! I think the variety, design, quality, and affordability of Japanese n scale will far out weigh the hyper detail of HO. Also you will be able to pack way more scene and track in with n scale and even more with Japanese scenes!

Shipping from Japan can also be as reasonable as domestic shipping if you are willing to be a little paciencent, as sal shipping usually takes about 2 weeks to north America.

Cheers

Jeff

Welcome, Evan, from the other side of the Big Pond!

This is a great place with nice and helpful folks and tons of information. Don´t hesitate to ask questions - you´ll always get a helping hand.

Hello

I'm new to the forum.. I'm from Malaysia. I used to lived in Japan for 5 years. Railroad modeling is 1 of my hobby. My collection mostly from KATO and TOMIX. Nice to know about this forum.