World Kougei - Brass Kits

mags_minibuilds

There are no standards for HO-Narrow, you can use anything..............

Rapidos are popular with those who use N scale parts as a basis but probably wouldn't suit the World Kogei models in terms of size and appearance. Too large and crude and looking like no real coupling at all. They do work very well indeed though.

Micro-Trains couplings are popular and do actually look very much like the knuckle couplings used by many larger Japanese 2'6" gauge companies. Prototypical and fully functional, but fiddly to set up.

The 'morning glory' couplings are accurate for the tramway type couplings usually used by smaller Japanese 2'6" gauge companies but cannot couple automatically or uncouple while on the track. So only really suitable for running fixed formations around in circles.

The twin buffer and centre hook-chain shown in your proto photo is rarely used in model form because it is ridiculously fiddly when scaled down so much. You might try a British finescale supplier for EM/P4 modelling if you want to go this route.

Edited by Beaver
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

The 'morning glory' coupler is a 'link and pin' coupler. From what I've seen video wise, Kiso Forest railway used them extensively.

I have some Toma Model Works kits that came with miniature link and pin couplers, and they actually work rather well, but I've not seen them available to order separately. Some brands do seem to have them as spare parts, but to me they look like non-functional parts anyway. Also, as Dafydd said, they're fully manual and rather fiddly to couple and uncouple.

I don't know too much about H0e couplers, I haven't decided which ones I want to use yet either 🙂

• Thanks 1
mags_minibuilds

There's a poll of what couplers some HO narrow users prefer:

https://keuka.hatenablog.com/entry/20180621/1529595971

Modellwagen and IORI 工房 makes some morning glory couplers but unsure of how the latter attaches to the car:

http://www.modellwagen.com/coupler/04.html

https://iorikoubou.cart.fc2.com/ca20/171/

I suppose my ARU Model couplers will work just fine for now. I have a set of AAL Craft plastic logging cars kit that uses the U-shaped pins, so far this is the coupling method I'm seeing the most in the instructions.

AAL_logging_car.thumb.jpg.dc927d2f9c3b7fedd76b45870a0f896c.jpg

Edited by mags_minibuilds

Interesting poll results. The most popular couplers are those with the least actual coupling functionality!

Egger Type presumably refers to the centre buffer and lifting loop used on most British 009 and European HOe. There are lots of psuedo-compatible variants, of which the Greenwich is probably the most suited to small and delicate stock like yours.

https://gdngrs.com/couplings

• Like 1
mags_minibuilds

Finished up the ARU freight car and passenger car with paint, decal and a clear coat. I enjoyed look at the brass but it isn't complete until it's painted.

IMG_9694.thumb.jpg.692c4e0e7388539a2ff4443794822d09.jpg

IMG_9737.thumb.jpg.0c509dfc479f0af11f3762024d4754f0.jpg

DSCF5390.thumb.JPG.04b0396593ef320108f71380b09bfc55.JPG

DSCF5394.thumb.JPG.a7f0902c151bd0d2b8371252c9bda838.JPG

Now I can't decide whether to start on the HO narrow diorama or build another kit. These are the only kits I have left, I feel that I may need to get more soon...building these kits are somewhat addictive!

IMG_9655.thumb.jpg.975f7d05a9e8a58b00675389034d59a7.jpg

• Like 6
mags_minibuilds

Thank you Jeff for the kind words! I’ve certainly learned quite a bit in the past few months.

Here’s a fun video I stumbled upon, this person put a Kiso Forest railway in a bento, very clever.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

They definitely came out looking great. Going by the pictures I would easily believe they were pre-built / pre-painted models. That little passenger car came out great!

• Thanks 1
mags_minibuilds

I haven't started any new kits but I did make some micro stainless steel brushes. I ordered some stainless steel rope that took a month to get here. While working on the kits, I had the black handle steel brush which is the only kind I can find in the US. It worked ok but I needed something that can squeeze into tight spaces. I use minimal solder but sometimes it's just a little too much to create a tiny bump. I like that the brush only removes the solder and retains the brass details (just don't over scrape, of course). I came across this article and was intrigued. I missed out on 2 chances to purchase the IMON stainless steel brush but these DIY brushes will suffice.

IMG_9926.thumb.jpg.8cbc115c60fbe7359794e5f8a4f5e26f.jpg

Materials used:

• 1mm Stainless Steel Rope (has 7 strands of 7 wires, totaling 49 wires, each wire is about 0.06mm thick)
  • 3/32" Brass Tube (fits one rope)
  • 1/8" Brass Tube (fits 3 ropes)

I inserted the rope(s) and crimped them with a heavy duty bench vise. These micro brushes can be fit inside a pin vise for better holding.

IMG_9927.thumb.jpg.60f3dab4c9f4da390cb820bae4cb0f2c.jpg

The results, before and after:

comparison.thumb.jpg.69b53ddef679a2b9751a6ae26cf6ccf5.jpg

• Thanks 1