Hamamachi Station Mk2

Grant_T

That’s wonderful Grant, we get our best reception with our club layouts and Ttrak at cultural events like this, amazing amounts of gratitude which is wonderful, don’t get a lot of that at train shows.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Those zoomed in shots look great. Normally zooming in that much shows all the problems, but I'm not spotting any 😄

• Like 3

The show is in a couple of days and I'm looking forward to it, but honestly these last few days have been hard. Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of my dad's passing and my own health is no good (I think I mentioned it, but I had kidney failure and a transplant several years back). Mum is coming over from her retirement home tomorrow to sew the skirt for my layout and eat some of our favourite food. I hope you are all doing well. 

Edited by Grant_T
  • Sad 2
Tony Galiani

Hope the show goes well!  I am sure you will get a very positive response to it as it looks great.

Cheers,

Tony

8 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

Hope the show goes well!  I am sure you will get a very positive response to it as it looks great.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony, I was obviously a little bit upset last night. I am really tempted to take an impromptu trip to Japan and ride trains for a couple of weeks.

Grant, sorry for the hard times here, hope the show lights up life some. Some train riding and ekiben might also be a nice shot in the arm.

enjoy the festival. Like I said we find them very fun and folks are just so appreciative and excited to see the model trains and scenes. Definitely not the model trains how vibe!

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1
Grant_T

Got back an hour ago from showing the layout. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience, but exhausting day. There were just hundreds streaming up to layout all day, and it was great to see the instant smiles on the kid's faces, but also the Japanese students and Japanese members of our community. I didn't take too many pictures, but another member of the forum was there with a very nice model and maybe he has some to share. One thing it has done though, is that by really observing at what people react to the most, I'm having second thoughts about the next layout.

• Like 12
ED75-775
4 hours ago, Grant_T said:

another member of the forum was there

And that would be me! It was a pleasure to catch up with Grant today and see Hamamachi Station for the first time in real life after a fellow tramway museum volunteer took some photos of it for me at the 2023 NZ Model Railway Convention. It was a pretty good event all round, and yes, I did take some photos of Grant's layout as well!

IMG_8829.thumb.JPG.f4268eebc039f7c34cb165f5320824da.JPG

IMG_8841.thumb.JPG.7d32e4df937dabc912a0e9e37bbcf473.JPG

IMG_8845.thumb.JPG.0bc25a73e798dc9fc4777e162c23e722.JPG

The 'very nice model' Grant was referring to was my Kato SL Hitoyoshi, which he kindly allowed me to run. I took this photo just before I packed it up in preparation to have a look around and grab some lunch (yakitori skewers and wagyu beef curry) before leaving for work. Quite apart from being a good size for the layout, it also turned out to be an attraction in its own right thanks to the lighted display cases in the coaches. I'll have to look at getting some lighting kits for them at some point.

Grant did also say there'll be more details added to this down the line - personally, I think the layout looks fantastic as it is already! I might have to do a Jeff and start looking for ideas I can draw from to create my own layout...

Alastair

• Like 10