Hamamachi Station Mk2

Grant_T

I finally have a good maker-space after a break of 5 years or so. Nice new work bench and shelves. To the left out of shot is my carpentry gear (jigsaw, router, mitre saw, drills etc.) and in  the back of the room is sink for easy clean up. Looking forward to starting some new projects.

• Like 10

I have been working on this, but I've been too busy to post updates (or the trip report that I have half written). I'm adding to the forest (not finished yet) and built a control panel (not finished yet). Once these are done, I will finish the fine detail on the foliage, and then move onto the station and small town itself.

• Like 11

Control panel is finished, and now I'm putting in more detail to the bushes/foliage etc. This is a very enjoyable part of the process.

• Like 10

Looks fantastic Grant! Love the box for the controllers and switches. I might have to whack out one or two of those. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, eh,

Todd

• Like 1

I built a proper viewing stand for the layout. (It also doubles as a standing workbench.) It might seem high, but I find this the ideal height for viewing and working on the detail of the layout. I've also started working on the station platforms and lineside detail.

Bonus pup pic.

• Like 13
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

Seems the shaggy one approves.

I think it has a puzzled look on its face. haha!

• Like 1

More progress. I have a station almost ready for this section.

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 8

Knocked up a quick footbridge in styrene. This will be painted light blue. The station is at the top. The elderly and disabled are out of luck on this line. 🤪

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 6

Given some paint. I'll weather this and put it aside because there is more foliage and weathering to be done around the platform.

• Like 8

I had a bit of a disaster last week when the oil wash I was using on the platforms reacted with something and the styrene bent and crinkled up. So I had to completely rebuild them. Here are the new ones, unpainted as yet.

• Like 7

A bit of painting and weathering later. Still more to go. The retaining wall itself will be a bit overgrown.

r.

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Grant, nice scene, I think I may pirate a bit of it for a Ttrak module!

jeff

Thanks. I've been looking at some of the sections of the Kisuki line for inspiration. Currently planning how I would get to  this line in my June trip.

• Like 1
On 3/29/2023 at 5:20 PM, Grant_T said:

Knocked up a quick footbridge in styrene. This will be painted light blue. The station is at the top. The elderly and disabled are out of luck on this line. 🤪

Actually, this is prototypical, particularly on rural lines.

Case in point, here's one of my photos from Niho Station on the Yamaguchi Line in 2019:

IMG_2744.thumb.JPG.c44c7782901dff7d23f349f19ef82ca6.JPG

No wheelchair access here either!

Alastair

• Like 4

More bushes etc. I will scratch build a different station building for this. So much more to go on this scene.

• Like 7

So much gluing of grass and foliage. I'm edging toward a very dilapidated look for Hamamachi Station. Much more weathering to go.

I've also been working on the ocean scene with more trees and bushes.

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 8

The retaining wall is completed. Very satisfied.

And after cleaning up the tracks, it still runs smoothly, including the points. Mission accomplished!

• Like 9

Looks great @Grant_T

Very evocative of a rural Japanese summer where nature is trying to take back its territory. 

Got me thinking about a few small derelict buildings, perhaps that were used by railway workers when switching out goods, long since gone. As your track work connotes that this clearing may have been more important some years ago. Perhaps some dilapidated Wamu 80000 bodies once used for storage or some sorry looking wooden shacks being eaten away by the plant life. 

Anyway, really like the look of this and will be watching its progress.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Kamome said:

a few small derelict buildings

Thanks, I was thinking exactly this. I'm going to hold off on the buildings for the moment. I have a trip to Japan in six weeks where I plan to do some research.

• Like 4

Finally finished this Sankei kit (actually, looking at the photos it probably needs some paint touch ups). I really enjoyed this kit and like the crisp detailed look, so I'll be grabbing a bunch more in Japan.

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 4

Be careful with paint on Sankei kits.

A recent thread.

Edited by bill937ca