Akita Mountain

Tom C

gavino200

Tom, what kind of putty do you use? And what do you use to carve it?

cteno4

Tom, 

curious if you have ever tried using wire future to start with. I’ve done that scratch building birds and putty up from there and it went well and have been meaning to try it with people. I’ve also been tempted to try to putty up some of the cheap Chinese architectural figures after bending/cutting them up some.

what figures are you starting with?

jeff

@gavino200  @cteno4

Here's a photo that shows my people modifying kit. This is all I use. Feast your eyes on those lovely pink tweezers 😵 No, I don't care how much you offer me, I'm not selling them 😂

rsz_img_3972_2.thumb.jpg.e41091b3272f20aa1fc82fdc622ae3b4.jpg

The people I use are a mix of Chinese 1000 for 1 cent junk and Preiser 100 for $30. You can see how different theiy look to my mini Kiki's Shows how much effort goes into each of my people creations.

I have tried using wire but found that the putty did not adhere to it very well and would fall off when I started carving it. Also, the thought of carving an n scale face doesn't fill me with excitement. The little fairy I made was carved from a solid piece of plastic as she is only 2mm tall. I did try making her with wire but..................I did make loads of alians out of wire but that's a story for another time 🙂

rsz_img_7941.thumb.jpg.ac06fcafddb48a6f0c50dff36b5f543d.jpg

The putty is very hard to work with as it is very sticky and goes off  in about 40 seconds. So I end up gooping it on fast and then carving huge amounts off when it has set hard. It takes about 12h to really harden. Does anyone know of a better putty out there ? What I do like with the Tamiya putty is that it slightly melts itself to the plastic figures creating a really good strong joint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Martijn Meerts

Where's your anaesthetic? You can't possible be operation on those people without it right? 😄

I had the some putty actually, but nothing decent ever came out of it. I blamed the putty and when it finally went bad, I bought a different brand... Maybe the putty wasn't the issue after all  o.O

Of course, I only ever use putty to fill holes, not to play god and create humans 😉

• Haha 2
cteno4
36 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Where's your anaesthetic? You can't possible be operation on those people without it right?

I can just hear all the tiny screams coming from Tom’s workbench and hear tom screaming “Life! Life! Give my creature LIFE!” when the figure starts to come together.

@Tom C so I assume you have a little bottle now of extra body parts to play with (appropriately labeled body parts and on the shelf next to fairy dust bottle)!

I’m going to have to look at my couple of boxes of preiser figures, I got them long ago before tomytec figures started to come out with the idea of modifying them into more Japanese figures and dress, they look like good fodder for slicing and dicing. I’ve bent up the Chinese architectural figures a bit with the heat gun to just give some more figure variety when populating a platform with them. Was thinking to trying further manipulation besides the little dabs of paint or marker I’ve done to them, but there is so little to start with it’s sort of going to using them as just a skeleton to do they whole rework like you do.

yes the putty does not hold really well to the wire, but most of the putty in the cranes were on the main body where I had done a couple of loops so there was a lot of structure for the putty to lock onto. Carved well without coming apart. Rest I just used repeated coats of thick craft paint to slowly build up to what I needed, reverse carving. Thought that might work on the human arms and legs as w.o carving the paint doesn’t have to stick all that hard. Thought it would be fun to just try posing the wire figures. Always been a thought in my head with human figures, just never got to trying it. You are stimulating me to get back at this more.

jeff

• Like 1
9 hours ago, cteno4 said:

the cranes

Photos photos photos 🙂

cteno4

Ok, ok. Some here in this topic. Damn that was 10 years ago…

jeff

• Like 1

@cteno4

Ah yes, wonderful chaps. As much as I like their music, the thought of creating them could not compete with KiKi 😍

I'm happy you've been inspired to hunt out shamisen music. 👍 

To share our insperation with others is one of the greatest rewards of modeling/life. I see Akita mountain as a kind of sounding platform for thoughts and discovery 🙂

Work on the model is advancing but nothing worth photographing yet. 

• Like 2