Random photos of stations I have visited

mojo

PXL_20221213_080332326.thumb.jpg.4bcacf53a25cdde717e0deb1818db4fd.jpg

I feel like 4000 yen for 22 floppy disks is a bit much, even if they are in rainbow colours. Kinda regretting not buying them anyway. I have a feeling my MSX only has a Double Density drive though, might not like these.

I have a 2x speed USB floppy drive. My current quest is to find the ultra rare 4x drive.

5 hours ago, mojo said:

PXL_20221213_053412376.thumb.jpg.0b6feb9298ace924384fe5b4f35b21c1.jpg

Now that’s one to model! Mojo if you pass by one again please snap a few more shots and a few square on the signs! 

thanks

jeff

OH wow thanks for sharing those photos mojo! It's like being there ourselves! LOVE that hamburger steak!

Am i missing something? I thought the chain buy-sell store was 'Book-Off'? Did it changed to 'Hard-off' recently, or was it another store entirely?  Do be weary of store video policies, some of which are very strictly prohibited ~ 

Thanks again! 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

OH wow thanks for sharing those photos mojo! It's like being there ourselves! LOVE that hamburger steak!

Am i missing something? I thought the chain buy-sell store was 'Book-Off'? Did it changed to 'Hard-off' recently, or was it another store entirely?  Do be weary of store video policies, some of which are very strictly prohibited ~ 

Thanks again! 

I think Hard Off was the original store, then they branched out. There are loads of them now.

Book Off (books/DVDs/often some video games too)

Mode Off (clothes)

Liqueur Off

Hobby Off (figures, trading cards, model kits etc.)

Off House (furniture, brand goods, appliances etc.)

I think there's a car one too. I'm mostly interested in Hard Off, but won't pass up the chance to check in at other locations via the app. The thing about Hard Off is that it often rewards digging. Here's an example of how stuff in the "junk" section tends to end up several layers deep:

PXL_20221214_085844864.thumb.jpg.c1764d2129e93ee9ed9183559461c06a.jpg

I do check before taking photos. Most places aren't keen on you doing it, but Hard Off has a general policy that it's okay and even encourages you to put the photos on social media. They have signs up in most shops inviting you to do it. If you don't speak Japanese just look for a sign with "SNS" on it (social networking site).

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, mojo said:

I think Hard Off was the original store, then they branched out. There are loads of them now.

Book Off (books/DVDs/often some video games too)

Mode Off (clothes)

Liqueur Off

Hobby Off (figures, trading cards, model kits etc.)

Off House (furniture, brand goods, appliances etc.)

I don't have the exact details at hand, but Book Off was the original concept, and Hard Off (also operates all the other "Off"s) was a sort of franchise run by a separate company based in Niigata with the friendly permission/cooperation of the Book Off founder, but they kind of split up and went their own way a few years back, and Book Off now sells non-books as well.

• Like 1

Nice pics @mojo.  What do you use to take them?  Apologies if I missed it in the posts.  The low light pictures look very good.  Soka Station looks like it could use a bit of a scrub.

I remember first seeing a Hard Off store in Yotsukaido, Chiba.  "No way," I thought.  Yes way.

• Like 1

Mojo,

I'm at home, in bed, sick as the proverbial dog, but reading this thread and admiring your photos has made me feel a lot better. Thanks for sharing them with us.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, railsquid said:

don't have the exact details at hand, but Book Off was the original concept, and Hard Off (also operates all the other "Off"s) was a sort of franchise run by a separate company based in Niigata with the friendly permission/cooperation of the Book Off founder, but they kind of split up and went their own way a few years back, and Book Off now sells non-books as well.

I figured they were all the same group, but interesting to know. I’m quite a fan of Book Off as they have such a lot of weird and wonderful stuff in the non book sections.

My nearest larger store has quite a good selection of HO and N gauge although some of the prices are a bit unrealistic for used products. Also the quality can be questionable at times but at least you can look at it properly before you buy unlike auction sites. 

I have found a few gems over the years so worth checking. 

My rail related Book Off purchases have so far been:

HO Tenshodo 9600 (Nami to Chidori) for around ¥20,000. Absolutely pristine looking model with a slightly scuffed box. (They had 2 other versions which I later went back for and had been sold) 

N scale Kato Odakyu Romance Car 10000 series 11 cat set (10-161) for ¥6000, outer sleeve was a bit dog-eared but model again pristine. 

4 of the HO Tomix 50 series 51 type Hokkaido coaches for ¥4000 each. 2 x ohafu, 2 x oha. (Had some simply wired but non-aesthetic home-made lighting units made with adhesive lighting strip. Worked well but didn’t look the best and easily removed without damage)

My local now has a large section for card gaming, but for me it’s looking through the ¥300-¥700 Super Nintendo game cartridges that makes me smile. I bought a copy of Star Fox for ¥700 and Super Street Fighter 2 for ¥400. Never quite as good as you remember. They even have good quality boxed versions, yes those easily damaged cardboard Nintendo boxes which have been meticulously looked after by someone for 30 odd years. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

I figured they were all the same group, but interesting to know. I’m quite a fan of Book Off as they have such a lot of weird and wonderful stuff in the non book sections.

I always assume that was the case, but a couple of years back I was at a conference where the Hard Off person in charge of their PoS system gave a talk, and I happened to talk to him afterwards and asked what the connection to Book Off was, as it was not mentioned at all, anyway he gave me the same explanation he'd obviously given quite a few times about them being entirely separate now.