What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa
On 7/8/2023 at 11:24 PM, Tuga said:

This is the 5-car formation that comes with the first boxset. The second boxset brings the rest of the coaches, three of them with table lights.

The last photo has the first edition "Virgin" livery (on the left) and the new "Virgin Silk" (on the right)

IMG_5888.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

How does your Pendolino handle the Kato superelevated viaduct corners out of curiosity? One of my cars will derail at the end of extra corner on the transition to flat track when pushing at any speed.

Unfortunately I'm having some difficulty with Rapido support as they say all of their testing was done with Peco track. I've also tested with Peco track and my train works fine on that so Rapido seems to be pointing towards the issue being the Kato viaducts and that they won't really be able to do much if I send it back for repairs.

My Pendolino (old generation) had no issue navigating KATO Unitrack/Superelevated pieces. I have not yet received the new generation pendolino. 

Best is to check any issues in the track/doublecheck that you assembled the track correctly.

• Like 1

@Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa are you doing 180 or 90 degree curves with the super elevated track? We found doing the 90 super elevated curves problematic with some couplers at higher speeds, while they did better with the 180. I think was the rapid transition up and down in a 90 was what wrenched couplers badly.

as mentioned make sure all rail heads are flush at the joints, sometimes unijoiners don’t quite hold track perfect and reseating then or pushing on them some can get them all flat. If one just does not want to get clean you can also try flipping around track sections (mind where the problem ends were and see if they persist next to a different piece of track) or try swapping in a new rail joiner.

jeff

• Like 2
On 9/20/2023 at 7:03 AM, Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa said:

How does your Pendolino handle the Kato superelevated viaduct corners out of curiosity? One of my cars will derail at the end of extra corner on the transition to flat track when pushing at any speed.

Unfortunately I'm having some difficulty with Rapido support as they say all of their testing was done with Peco track. I've also tested with Peco track and my train works fine on that so Rapido seems to be pointing towards the issue being the Kato viaducts and that they won't really be able to do much if I send it back for repairs.

I had derailments on both old and new Pendolinos out of the box. I found out in both occasions that the derailment was due to the coupling system. What happened in my case was when I coupled them the couplers were not fully in place (not properly engaged). I haven't had any derailments since at any speeds.

However I still suggest you also follow Jeff's (cteno4) advice and check the track for any issues.

• Like 2
Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa

Thanks for the advice guys, I will have a look at your suggestions and see if I can make things work. I might also carry over this discussion to a separate thread to avoid cluttering this one up.

To provide a bit more detail about the issue it is the end 'K' car which is having issues. It only derails when it is pushing the consist and the end of the body appears to be making light contact with the next car when it is moving which may be part of the issue. It also bounces back fairly violently on the 90 superelevated transition as @cteno4mentioned, much more so than the 'A' end car when it is run in reverse.

@cteno4 I currently just have a test loop in my spare room. It is a square of viaduct with 90 degree superelvated corners with 3 x 248mm straight sections between each corner. Running my finger along the track joints they all feel smooth and appear to be aligned properly but I will look at the joiners as well. Currently the train will derail at any of the corners at anything above low speeds and usually after just one or two corners.

@Tuga Thanks for the advice, the couplers look like they are connected properly but I will take a closer look at it and see if I can make any adjustments.

Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa just to be clear, my track it's not superelevated like yours. However I wonder if you have not used the “easement” set required to transition from level to superelevated track. 

Edited by Tuga
  • Like 1

More post-train show survival supplies, probably the last major lash-out for 2023:

IMG_8663.thumb.JPG.6a1fc9c495d33a463dcd011703ddeae5.JPG

- Märklin 26360 Bavarian express train set (S 3/6 'Hochhaxige/High Stepper', one baggage car and four coaches in fictitious ivory/green livery)

- 39889 BR44 tender locomotive 44 1315 (as preserved at the Märklineum museum)

- 46171 Tnoms 35 refrigerated box wagon

- Trix 24212 pressurized gas tank wagon

I also picked up my latest Insider Club wagon (48173, Züchner-Dose advert livery box wagon) from Toottoot and picked up some extra tools too from a hobby tools stand, a illuminated mag-visor for $70.00 and a little dental mirror which could well be useful further down the track for $12.00. Unless something tasty and unavoidable comes up for sale second-hand, this'll likely be the last major lash-out for 2023 as early next year I have a six-carriage set, and two more locos (BR01.10 old boiler Insider loco and H0 scale Flying Scotsman) coming.

While at the show, I also snagged this little guy:

IMG_8664.thumb.JPG.61378b934462e850cdc5845b208bbc67.JPG

One of the motormen/drivers on the Christchurch Tramway, Michael has ventured into producing 1:87 diecast model trams under his own brand, Trams4U with his first model being of ex-Dunedin City tram 11 as owned by the Tramway Historical Society, where it's known by older members as 'Spiff', and currently operating on the Christchurch Tramway. The actual models are produced by Siks Scale Models in Hong Kong and come in two versions, either the 'Standard' version depicting 11 as it is in service today for $49.95NZD or the 'Limited Edition' version of 500 models which depict 11 as it looked in December 1922 at $69.95NZD. I purchased one of the latter, complete with Certificate of Authenticity that also provides a potted history of 11 from its entry into service in 1903 up to its 120th Anniversary this year.

The model appears to be well executed and the box itself looks pretty neat - mine comes with the logo on one end and a photo of 11 in December 1922 during a 'coupled cars' trial with sister 10 which serves as the basis for the model above. Certain details are either simplified or carried over from the modern-era version (wing mirrors) but this is purely on cost and ease of manufacture, and they don't detract from what is otherwise a good little display model. For a semi-retirement project it's well done and hats off to Michael for doing it. When I asked him whether more models would be offered in future, he did indicate they might but it depends on how well 11 sells. If anyone wants one, Trams4U will be selling them online from mid-this month.

Alastair

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Bavarian green S 3/6 is still one of the most beautiful steam locomotives to have ever existed.

I like the independent school of design Bavarian steam tended to have among German railways. 

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

True, they have a lot of beautiful trains. Before I get into Japanese stuff, I was actually looking into building a Bavarian Marklin layout. I still have a Bavarian green Gt 2x4/4 (also a royal blue S 3/6, even though I prefer the green one)

• Like 2

Plus your country, Holland, had very many of the most British-looking and quite attractive steam engines in Continental Europe. I loved seeing the museum at Utrecht when I went there.

3 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

True, they have a lot of beautiful trains. Before I get into Japanese stuff, I was actually looking into building a Bavarian Marklin layout. I still have a Bavarian green Gt 2x4/4 (also a royal blue S 3/6, even though I prefer the green one)

Cool. I had an HO Marklin collection that a kind neighbor gave to me before I left America for Japan.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Bavarian green S 3/6 is still one of the most beautiful steam locomotives to have ever existed.

Definitely. I have three green versions now: the older 3092 model which lives in a display case in my bedroom, plus two 'High Steppers', item nrs. 39436 and 26360. And they're absolutely gorgeous.

1 hour ago, SL58654号 said:

Holland, had very many of the most British-looking and quite attractive steam engines in Continental Europe. I loved seeing the museum at Utrecht when I went there.

I visited Utrecht in January 2014 as part of a family visit to Europe, we stayed in Den Haag as it was fairly central to everything we wanted including my grandparents' home city of Delft. I didn't have time to visit the Spoorwegmuseum, but I do have a poster for it here at home from my grandfather. And yes, the various Dutch companies had some glorious locomotives too in their independent days. I'm rather partial to the 'Blue Brabanders' of the North Brabant-German Railway or the 3700 class of the Nederlandse Spoorwegen.

In fact, a 3700 remains high on my wish-list from Märklin, I'm hoping they will do one as an "Überraschunglok/Surprise Locomotive" at some point in the future. Märklin tends to release a new and unexpected steam locomotive type in October each year; apart from a few German examples, including this year's East German DR 18 201, it's been a great way for Märklin to release a new, 'foreign' steam locomotive to the European market. Between this and special anniversary release models like the Danish E-class 4-6-2 or Swiss C5/6 2-10-0, most Western and Central European countries now have a 'representative' locomotive in the range - the only countries not yet covered being Austria, Poland, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, and Italy.

Alastair

Rails of Sheffield put the loco I've been eyeing on half price so I splurged a little. This Heljan's take on the Lynton and Barnstaple's 'Lyn', which is pretty obviously originally built by Baldwin. It was scrapped but now exists again as a new-build replica. It's like a miniature little sister version to a preserved locomotive from near where I grew up, so I'm pretty partial to it. I've read this model is a bit of a bad runner, but it does look very nice. It's also extremely heavy compared to any of my N-scale models despite being roughly the same size as a C11.

20231023_193639small.thumb.jpg.1afed3f26bb111ad45177a8e3c7c19ba.jpg20231023_193703small.thumb.jpg.0d8d8336538045248e9542207f37f2c3.jpg

And some Peco wagons to go with it. Because all these are loose and variously sold out it was surprisingly annoying to pick what rolling stock to get. I originally wanted to get the red variants of the coaches as they exist in restored form today, but only one seemed to be available and the rest on pre-order. Something I didn't expect considering almost everything else I have is N-scale, the side doors on the guard's van actually slide open.20231023_193722small.thumb.jpg.4daad35ecc50fb65b50d4b9977440176.jpg20231023_194330small.thumb.jpg.892bd784dbd165524b240813f7067962.jpg

I've really been spoiled by Tomix and Kato packaging. These were all variants of pain. The brake van was the worst, the only thing holding it in was a plastic strip around it and a pieces of plastic that lines the bottom of the box. The bogie wagon did one better and had these tiny pins holding it to the plastic on the bottom, but that didn't survive the trip and the whole wagon was falling apart - the base came out and the underfloor pieces it was holding in place were everywhere. I'm shocked nothing was broken. Meanwhile the loco had infinite packaging. Every time I thought I had it there was another layer.

20231023_193753small.thumb.jpg.bf67902795824dfa9ba0d4e33b02dcbf.jpg

Also I got this set of Dapol SR Maunsell coaches. British stuff in general is mostly loose stock which I really don't like, so getting a set without having to individually find appropriate variants to make up a reasonably believable consist was neat. Also it was on sale too, and hilariously cheap compared to loose coaches, even other Dapol SR Maunsells.

20231023_190606small.thumb.jpg.a93018e2b6a6a721473f6270504c7c90.jpg

• Like 4

I have 4 of these Maunsell SR olive coaches and they’re really impressively detailed. The coach diaphragm pieces can be a bit of a pig on occasion but look great once all coupled up. 

3 hours ago, Skasaha said:

Rails of Sheffield put the loco I've been eyeing on half price so I splurged a little. This Heljan's take on the Lynton and Barnstaple's 'Lyn', which is pretty obviously originally built by Baldwin. It was scrapped but now exists again as a new-build replica. It's like a miniature little sister version to a preserved locomotive from near where I grew up, so I'm pretty partial to it. I've read this model is a bit of a bad runner, but it does look very nice. It's also extremely heavy compared to any of my N-scale models despite being roughly the same size as a C11.

20231023_193639small.thumb.jpg.1afed3f26bb111ad45177a8e3c7c19ba.jpg20231023_193703small.thumb.jpg.0d8d8336538045248e9542207f37f2c3.jpg

And some Peco wagons to go with it. Because all these are loose and variously sold out it was surprisingly annoying to pick what rolling stock to get. I originally wanted to get the red variants of the coaches as they exist in restored form today, but only one seemed to be available and the rest on pre-order. Something I didn't expect considering almost everything else I have is N-scale, the side doors on the guard's van actually slide open.20231023_193722small.thumb.jpg.4daad35ecc50fb65b50d4b9977440176.jpg20231023_194330small.thumb.jpg.892bd784dbd165524b240813f7067962.jpg

Really awesome and smashing 00-9 collection there, @Skasaha! I really admire your "Lyn"! 😃

It's too bad, though, not even the George England engines made in 00-9 by KATO so far have the same clear acrylic cases like their Japanese stock. I prefer those since they stack up and display their contained loco so well. 

British stuff is usually sold on the assumption that the models will be stored on track in a fiddle yard or cassette or stored in a custom made stock box or display case. Most people think using the original packaging for storage is silly. So the packaging is only meant to last until the product reaches the buyer and then be disposed of. Second hand stuff is very often unboxed or reboxed.

Also, sets do not sell well, because;

-Operation is generally important and so stock on a layout is constantly being shunted, split, joined, swapped and re-arranged in prototypical fashion, not kept together in fixed formations. Especially goods stock. Note that the Americans, who also do a lot of operation, also tend to buy and sell singly.

-Unless a manufacturer has produced a set that contains exactly what you require, which is unlikely except for multiple units or famous expresses, buying a set containing a lot of things you don't need for your chosen period, company and location is an annoying waste of money and space. Few people would buy a set of 6 coaches if there is only room for 5 or if one or two are not correct for the setting.

• Like 1

Also from Revolution, this dropped into my mailbox the other day:

53322768019_771d3373a9_z.jpg

Revolution Class 128 parcels unit (BR Blue) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I am in theory steering clear of buying trains (running out of storage space among other reasons), but this one was on pre-order for a couple of years and moreover I have vague hopes its success will encourage the manufacturer to consider other British DMUs which can use the same chassis base.

• Like 2
On 11/11/2023 at 3:45 AM, railsquid said:

I am in theory steering clear of buying trains (running out of storage space among other reasons)

Sounds very sensible, squid! I can relate to the running out of space thing comfortably, my H0 collection is already straining my ability to store it (even with a little thinning out) and before long the N scale stuff will be doing the same. Translation: I need to stop buying trains and save up to buy a train room (with living quarters attached). Life goals!

Meanwhile, as alluded to on the N scale "What did you order/post deliver?" thread, a big box turned up from Rail Gallery Rokko and hitching a lift onboard was a Märklin locomotive:

IMG_8702.thumb.JPG.be7a2ee376bc916555472cbc61df79f3.JPG

Between 2006 and 2010, Märklin released five 'Bellingrodt-Edition' locomotives complete with display cases featuring a photo taken by famous German rail photographer Carl Bellingrodt (1897-1971). I'd already picked up the first one, the 37965 BR96 Mallet tank locomotive back in 2022 when my uncle sold his collection off, but during my Tokyo holiday I'd spotted Bellingrodt number two, the 37452 BR45, on sale in the window at Mandarake in Nakano Broadway for ¥36,300. It wasn't practical to haul it around Japan on my travels, so it stayed there. Of course, I still wanted it badly enough that I tried emailing the store several times, without success.

Enter @Wolf, who on my request was more than happy to help during his holiday. He hunted it down, arranged to have it shipped to Rail Gallery Rokko since he'd already been down to Rokkomichi, and then got things set up with Tokonami-san to hold onto it for me until I was ready to ship it! Thanks a bunch, Stefan... I'm truly grateful for your help in landing this one.

IMG_8703.thumb.JPG.c10c9edd95c0ac3ecdfe2306e69ba333.JPG

And it didn't stay in the box for long! This model represents 45 004 as it looked in 1951 working for the LVA (locomotive testing station) in Göttingen. As an unexpected bonus, at some point a previous owner had retrofitted this big guy with an ESU Loksound 5 decoder, which means that it now has more sound functions than the original ever did! They even left the flattened decoder box and manual in the 45 box as a reference in case they ever needed it. And before anyone asks, yes, I have test run it and it ran... surprisingly well, if a little noisy. A light service should fix that!

Right now the big guy is parked on my layout, but I'll pack it up next week and take it to the Christchurch Märklin Model Railway Club's meeting. The folks will be jealous when they see this one!

Alastair

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, ED75-775 said:

surprisingly well, if a little noisy.

Not so surprising, since it's retrofitted with an ESU Noizsound 5 decoder...

... or a drivetrain that needs possibly servicing. I'm banking on the latter, it's probably been played with enough times that it needs a thorough going over. That'll likely be a Friday job since it's a public holiday here and work has got me working a slightly different shift to normal, so I'll have time to lube and tinker with it.

• Like 1

Managed to score an orange TGV sud est in very good condition on Ebay, from a japanese seller, already looking forward to it. Eventually i want the extra cars too. 

Edited by tripel7

And it arrived today, i do want the swap the box it came in for the same boxes Kato uses for the other TGV, but overall a great bargain for 120e including shipping and taxes

20231201_145246~2.jpg

20231201_145334~2.jpg

signal-2023-12-01-14-54-55-214.jpg

• Like 1