What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Drunkenclam

Mrs Clam went to see a friend for a couple of hours today and took the kids. So I had some time to drill more holes through the baseboard to run power feeds and point controls. Mmmm tasty spaghetti

• Like 1
JR 500系

Interesting, a tram stopping for a train! Just curious, are these really happening in Japan?

railsquid

Interesting, a tram stopping for a train! Just curious, are these really happening in Japan?

Not with the precise vehicles pictured ;), but in principle yes:

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 5
Pauljag900

Did a bit of scenic work to the right hand side of the mountain module including the shrine kit.Still a bit to do and lights to fit to the buildings.

post-2329-0-36984400-1494043369_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-54854900-1494043383_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-05744900-1494043406_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-60989700-1494043423_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
Pauljag900

Mrs Clam went to see a friend for a couple of hours today and took the kids. So I had some time to drill more holes through the baseboard to run power feeds and point controls. Mmmm tasty spaghetti

No matter how hard you try,it all looks very neat when you start but always ends up looking like a plate of spaghetti

• Like 1
serotta1972

Looks awesome Paul! Keep it coming, thanks for documenting your progress as it may inspire me to actually build something someday. :)

• Like 1
velotrain

Strange power unit hauling those older continental short coaches ;-)

Does the club plan to bring this to exhibitions - it looks like modular construction?

Claude_Dreyfus

Oh yes, the layout is likely to debut either 2018 or 2019.

The BNSF loco was a holiday purchase last year - Intermountain fitted with DCC sound.

velotrain

My BNSF experience in Missouri while on a Katy Trail bike tour

From my tour report:  "Carrollton is another county seat with the traditional courthouse in the square, and I was delighted to find that my motel was only a few blocks from downtown.  Riding around I found some serious-looking train tracks on the other side of town and an elevator (grain type) worker told me that it was the BNSF (Burlington Northern Sante Fe) main line between Kansas City and Chicago, and sometimes trains went by every two minutes.  Standing there for twenty minutes verified what he said, with solid double-stack, auto rack and pig trains screaming by at 70 miles an hour in frequent intervals."

gallery_941_192_14981.jpg

• Like 2
railsquid

What did I do? Blessed by an unexpected visit from the TIme Fairy, I spent a lot of time tidying things up, which is a prerequisite for further progress... did manage to rearrange a bit of the scenery, though from the angle pictured it doesn't look much different from before, just relocated.

34123107520_915c8742ce_z.jpg

local-station-area by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5
Pauljag900

And I more or less finished the shrine area apart from a few cherry blossom style trees for the edge of the car park and some figures

post-2329-0-56286500-1494166913_thumb.jpg

• Like 11
JR 500系

Wow Paul that is looking better and better! The shrine really has that look, and the rock face looks really good!

keiichi77

With the arrival of my Plaza Japan order, my restaurant finally has staff to serve its patrons. I made the dark brown chairs with scrap styrene. The room in the corner is reserved for large parties.  I made tables to put with the new seats but I have misplaced them....opps   I can honestly say the Kato figures are possibly the best N scale figures I have seen.  The window seat row of the restaurant has Tomytec figures, the staff are Kato and the back two rows of tables are mostly cheap Chinese bulk figures. 

TomytecRes3

• Like 15
Pauljag900

With the arrival of my Plaza Japan order, my restaurant finally has staff to serve its patrons. I made the dark brown chairs with scrap styrene. The room in the corner is reserved for large parties. I made tables to put with the new seats but I have misplaced them....opps I can honestly say the Kato figures are possibly the best N scale figures I have seen. The window seat row of the restaurant has Tomytec figures, the staff are Kato and the back two rows of tables are mostly cheap Chinese bulk figures.

That looks spot on mate,those cheap figures are ideal for filling up spaces are. nt they? I find if you mix them up with a few good ones,as you have,then no one really notices" Edited by Pauljag900

All I did today is ponder a potential T-Trak module idea, I'm short a platform. Also, that station building's a bit of a PITA to work on. There's paint in places it shouldn't be, scraping it off helped but by then I'd broken off a mounting post.train%20001_zpsdgtxws1x.jpg

• Like 1

This side platform arrangement works, but you have to drop the near side stairs as they would be off the module unless you realign the tracks towards the center first.

Ttrak modules can extend forward past the 1.5". You just need to think about putting your legs at the same place they would be on a standard module so that they won't be dangling over the edge of the table. I've seen a number of station platform multiple modules do this extension to allow platforms and a strip of scenery along the front of modules. Of course it can't go too far or you have a tipping problem!

Jeff

• Like 1