What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Laid out this track with all the stuff that I have and it seems to work, except maybe the 3 parallel sidings should be set the other way so that locos leave in the running direction.

Because I have to set up and take apart on the dining room table I want to get a layout that i can replicate and then try to add modules of scenery (e.g the housing square) on foam board, so that eventually it can all be put down as a temporary layout but looking more permanent.

For layout see http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12906-please-help-with-identification/

attachicon.gifP1090198 (1024x676).jpg

attachicon.gifP1090199 (1024x668).jpg

attachicon.gifP1090200 (1024x632).jpg

attachicon.gifP1090201 (1024x674).jpg

attachicon.gifP1090202 (1024x541).jpg

attachicon.gifP1090203 (606x1024).jpg

attachicon.gifP1090204 (1024x555).jpg

attachicon.gifP1090197 (827x1024).jpg

Are they Dapol silver bullets I so on the rear of that freight train?

-built two quarter fremo modules

-ballasted one ttrak double module

-groundcovered two ttrak single modules

-adjusted and painted a few things here and there

+installed one more subway staircase on a club build station (only one more to go)

Was blessed by a visit from the Time Fairy today and spent a bit of time rearranging the layout a bit more. All still very temporary, still need to connect up all the track to make sure it works like I think it will.

33476561134_7b961dfa5d_z.jpg

layout-2017-04-28a by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Looks like somebody paved a Tomix tram switch/points. Good work!

Rich K.

Looks like somebody paved a Tomix tram switch/points. Good work!

Alas it just looks like the pointwork is paved.

Cut out and milled up all the framing lumber for a jrm club member's 8'x9' U shaped home layout. Making it in sections somit can bolt together and rest on a support frame with IKEA legs. Going to be a few more evening sessions to get it all put together.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Great progress buckinham!

Bummer to have to take it down, but your concept works great for this. I assume you may have seen this article

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

If not, it's basically what you are describing. Wargamming is a great place to look for inspiration here as they do to all the time. Brown or green sheet works well to protect the table and give a neutral, natural ground cover and if it's not the wife's best sheet you can poke holes in it to run wires under the material. Also fabric stores usually have a bargain bin that you can't find hunks of material you can cut up to make some other colored areas and even glue them down to the base sheet. Even colored construction paper works well for this. Lots you can do on the fly fast to create perceived scenery and amazing how much the minds eye will fill in bleaker spots withnjust a little nudging!

One warning on doing scenery on foamcore is moisture and paint can sometimes shrink on the top side and pop a good warp into the small piece. You can try doing a few light coats of spray paint (like cheap primer gray laquer) evenly on both sides to help seal it up, but even this can warp some pieces and try not to get it on the foam much as it can eat it. Experiment some first. Plain stryene sheet works well for this and is pretty resistant to warping. For larger areas Formica sheeting works really well as it's super rigid and flat. I've gotten it very cheaply on sale and at second hand builder shops. It's basically fiberglass so a little itchy to cut up (need to use a saber saw or band saw) but makes really robust, thin and flat base material.

Have fun and will love to see what you do with this!

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.  i have read that article which you have pointed me in the direction of before and it is interesting and informative.

Also, thanks for the advice on the use of foam board. Time to experiment I  think!

Buckingham

I was very interested to see this because it's a few steps further than what I'm doing myself at present. Maybe given time?

Hi, In my case it is needs must as I don't have any spare space at the moment.  I am getting quicker at putting it together however, particularly as I am settling more my ideas for the layout.

Keep going and post some photos. :)

Are they Dapol silver bullets I so on the rear of that freight train?

Hi - what good eyesight you have :) Yes they are silver bullets which I bought as a set with a Dapol Class 66 (also shown in the photos but not on the track) before I discovered Kato and Tomix!

I prefer the variety of the Japanese models, their colours, their value for money and their quality (for instance the lights on the class 66 stopped working within 2 weeks and the retailer's replacement model also stopped so i gave up)

I think that the silver bullets look ok attached to the freight wagons  and in the fullness of time I might get round to a bit of weathering to disguise them more.

Alan

Edited by buckingham
  • Like 2

I ve been putting it off for a week or so but this morning I did the first fix of plastercloth to one side of the mountain module

post-2329-0-89576700-1493548209_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-65229700-1493548240_thumb.jpg

Needs a bit of tidying and smoothing with filler which I ll do once it's all done and dry.

• Like 4
scotspensioner

Know the feeling.Im not computer literate yet!Basically I'm short of space too ( that's usable)so I'm using a 6ft by 2ft 6 folding table onto which I've been able to lay out a double track oval (315 +282mm rad) connected with a v7 switch.Inside I get a shortened V1 passing loop and a V3 sidings pack!Twenty minutes to assemble and about the same to take down ably assisted by the missus!! Son puts the boxes away and erects the table!!!

I've got plenty spare track.Hopefully I might eventually be able to access a 7ft6 by 3ft 6 board currently buried in the Garage but it's full of stuff.

Trains are a mixture of what's been available and what I liked.500 and E7 shinkansen,Narita Airport Express,and a mixture totalling 16 trains.

I've still got a load of Hornby and Athearn but I can't decide what to do with them!!!

• Like 1

Know the feeling.Im not computer literate yet!Basically I'm short of space too ( that's usable)so I'm using a 6ft by 2ft 6 folding table onto which I've been able to lay out a double track oval (315 +282mm rad) connected with a v7 switch.Inside I get a shortened V1 passing loop and a V3 sidings pack!Twenty minutes to assemble and about the same to take down ably assisted by the missus!! Son puts the boxes away and erects the table!!!

I've got plenty spare track.Hopefully I might eventually be able to access a 7ft6 by 3ft 6 board currently buried in the Garage but it's full of stuff.

Trains are a mixture of what's been available and what I liked.500 and E7 shinkansen,Narita Airport Express,and a mixture totalling 16 trains.

I've still got a load of Hornby and Athearn but I can't decide what to do with them!!!

Sounds good. That extra 12/18 inches on the dimensions will make an enormous difference. I could get a board but nowhere to keep it when not in use. Now if I had a garage ........

• Like 2

I ve been putting it off for a week or so but this morning I did the first fix of plastercloth to one side of the mountain module

attachicon.gifIMG_1689.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1690.JPG

Needs a bit of tidying and smoothing with filler which I ll do once it's all done and dry.

Looks like you will have lots of running options

scotspensioner

Buckingham

Garage had two drawbacks:-a) It was roasting in summer and freezing in winter (temperature range 90 to 20 degrees!)

bA!most daily visits from local railway fanatic who was desperate to see my Hornby trains going but was still living in the 1960s!

So Kato indoors is the best option at present!

• Like 2

If you re not sure what to do with your other trains then I d say keep them for now as you may regret it later,believe me I speak from experience

My layout it outside in a shed and I ve also had problems more with the heat than the cold.I put a fan heater in there but it's not very effective when it's really cold,black out blind is next for the sun. Indoors is best if you ve got the room,outside is ok but it does take more looking after.

• Like 1

Hi Buckingham,

The four tracks on the mountain module are just two double loops,lack of space meant small radius with no sidings or passing loops,tho I m hoping it will be a bit loess obvious by the time it s all sceniced up with the mountains and hills.the two double loops that run all the way around do have access to the sidings and storage tracks on the main station area so I can change the running of trains but on the smaller one I m afraid it's a case of removing and putting on by hand but at least now I can run 8 trains at the same time.

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 1
scotspensioner

I'm thinking of keeping them because the Hornby models are of trains I grew up with on the ECML and elsewhere( Railtour in Lancashire in 1968 with Oliver Cromwell for example)

They're always there if I want a change again!

At one time I was so broke I didn't think I'd ever have another model train. -now I've got 3 collections!!

Photos try Google+ AlexRankin8849 .If you get in there's a photofile - I don't know how to download it

Thanks again chaps

Alex

Well the wife said she was doing an assignment for uni work so I was left with nothing to do,as if!!

So thought I may as well spend my time doing some more plasterwork.I managed to do all the first fix on both sides and put some base colour on just to help me understand what's what.The green will be grass,foliage and trees and the white will be rock face,pretty obvious I guess.Now I need to work out the roads and stuff and where I need to build up or cut away.

post-2329-0-56894300-1493572635_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-56788700-1493572665_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-85060600-1493572678_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-92915700-1493572698_thumb.jpgpost-2329-0-14872400-1493572712_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Jeff.  i have read that article which you have pointed me in the direction of before and it is interesting and informative.

Also, thanks for the advice on the use of foam board. Time to experiment I  think!

Hi, In my case it is needs must as I don't have any spare space at the moment.  I am getting quicker at putting it together however, particularly as I am settling more my ideas for the layout.

Keep going and post some photos. :)

Hi - what good eyesight you have :) Yes they are silver bullets which I bought as a set with a Dapol Class 66 (also shown in the photos but not on the track) before I discovered Kato and Tomix!

I prefer the variety of the Japanese models, their colours, their value for money and their quality (for instance the lights on the class 66 stopped working within 2 weeks and the retailer's replacement model also stopped so i gave up)

I think that the silver bullets look ok attached to the freight wagons  and in the fullness of time I might get round to a bit of weathering to disguise them more.

Alan

Yeah I saw the 66 to, Dapols reliability is not the greatest to say the least, they fit in quite well as they do have generic but pleasant appearance.
  • Like 1
serotta1972

Well the wife said she was doing an assignment for uni work so I was left with nothing to do,as if!!

So thought I may as well spend my time doing some more plasterwork.I managed to do all the first fix on both sides and put some base colour on just to help me understand what's what.The green will be grass,foliage and trees and the white will be rock face,pretty obvious I guess.Now I need to work out the roads and stuff and where I need to build up or cut away.

IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1693.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG IMG_1697.JPG

Looking good Paul, let's see how long this one last. Haha, just kidding.

Looking good Paul, let's see how long this one last. Haha, just kidding.

This is it buddy,if it does nt work now I ll be selling it all and buying a knitting machine

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 1
scotspensioner

I've just discovered one of my photos of the whole table is on Google titled"Kato trains in a small space"---that wasn't intended!

enodenlover

Earlier today I glued down the switch stands for the three turnouts and this evening I cut and painted the first stretch of styrene "pavement" for the town's main street. Any more progress on the layout will have to wait until I get back from my vacation trip.

attachicon.gifIMG_1691.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1693.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1695.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1696.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1697.JPG

Once again I'm incredibly impressed with Paul's work.  But at this speed, he's ruining all our excuses for why our own layouts take so long to progress!  All jokes aside, great progress Paul! 

Pauljag900

Once again I'm incredibly impressed with Paul's work. But at this speed, he's ruining all our excuses for why our own layouts take so long to progress! All jokes aside, great progress Paul!

Thanks mate,tho I do have one slight advantage,this is the fourth attempt at the same layout so I ve got virtually all I need right here and I m not waiting for stuff to arrive or next months payday to pay for it.I ve stripped it off three times and started again but this is it,no more starting again

post-2329-0-57083900-1493626386_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 1

I have been working on the turnouts.

Masking

IMG 0897

IMG 0896

Painting

IMG 0898

Mechanical and electrical test. All good!

IMG 0899

• Like 4