What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

I think the creator of 7, 8 & 9 would've liked access to a triple length module. Certainly a range of skill levels present.

nscalestation

Recently got out my Musashi-Koyama module set that had been dormant since it's last exhibit in September.  Another exhibit is planned for next month so I am getting it ready.  It is 2 meters long and is part of the AsiaNrail layout which is a DC layout.  The modules are double tracked with a crossover at each end and a station in the middle.  It is intended to be used as either a terminal end or through module in the AsiaNrail layout.  It has been used successfully as a terminal end module several times but last September was the first time we tried it as a through module and found out that it did not work as intended so I have been working on re-wiring it to correct that.

Controls - March 20, 2017

Prior to this re-wiring both turnouts were controlled by a single switch on the roof of a group of paper buildings.  I changed this to a switch for each cross over so they can be controlled independently.  It is possible for the double track to extend onto an adjoining module so this was necessary.  Also added an OFF / ON switch for each platform track so now there is a total of 4 switches.  These still need to be labeled.

Platform track gaps

Here are 2 of the 4 gaps cut into the inner rails.  To make their locations more visible to operators I have added a small black post.  With most passenger EMU / DMU sets having electrical pickup in all cars it will be important to keep any parked train within the gaps.

2M module - March 20, 2017

Also added isolation gaps between two of the modules.  The gaps were already there, I just had to place OFF / ON switches in line with the connections between the modules and those are under the modules.   With the wiring now hopefully corrected, I have started to work on some scenery in the front area of the small 2M module.  It's called the 2M module because I built this to make up the difference between my 6 feet of modules and 2 meters.

• Like 6

I think the creator of 7, 8 & 9 would've liked access to a triple length module. Certainly a range of skill levels present.

Module entries were limited to single-length only, as only ten would be able to continue to the next round (possibly because of space restrictions). Of modules 7 ~9, only '9' went through to the next round, so if it were a single module, it wouldn't have worked.

As for my next module project; I'm thinking very hard about doing something with a boxed frame (possibly with a removable frame) and a single track where the inside track is hidden in the back. The guy who made the sakura festival module (one of the best IMO) said he'd maybe interested in making one as well.

Had a hour to myself today so I decided to add some figures to one of the Skytree cars and the Tomytec restuarant. At least the restaurant customers will be able to walk out after dinner, can't say as much for the train passengers once they reach their destination. ;)

Passengers for the Skytree

Customers for the restaurant

Someday I will build some interior walls in the restaurant,  there is to much of a void inside the kit, maybe a kitchen area that is partially visible from the front with some Kato dining car figures to complete the scene.
  • Like 4

I also worked on my Skytree train today and installed TN couplers between the two sets. It looks much better now! I also installed front lights on my 6050 in-between cars, so one can run with two cars only.

I must say, the new coreless motor with flywheel by Greenmax has me convinced. This is an awesome power unit! Quiet, silky smooth and low profile. It's maybe the best I've seen so far! I'm very tempted to get a bunch and replace my 6050's previous generation motor with a coreless one. Maybe it's a good idea to browse Greenmax' stores a bit for spare parts to go along with it.

EDIT:

IMG_20170324_134233.jpg

Two-car running now established!

IMG_20170324_134302.jpg

Motor car with front lights installed :)
Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 5

Did nothing except to play with it... was so a nice day.

Of course the full-sized H5 had to be run. Since there was discussion about derailings here in the forum, I put it on my narrower curved mainline tracks.

post-4432-0-14671700-1490464553_thumb.png

Turned out it doesn't like R315 at all. Derailed almost immediately.

On R348 it ran fine as long as nothing special happened. On a slight disturbance however (it touched one of my dummy traffic lights) it also derailed. This was with car 11 leading. With car 1 leading, it derailed after some time for no obvious reason. So, seems that R348 is the limit. Fortunately the viaduct tracks have larger radii.

Second thing I played with was  my Orient Express cars... put a post about it in the CIWL thread...

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/11924-ciwl-compagnie-internationale-des-wagons-lits/?p=153480

And in the end, how amazing natural sunlight on a model train layout is...

post-4432-0-03077800-1490464567_thumb.png

Edited by medusa
  • Like 4

This: "And in the end, how amazing natural sunlight on a model train layout is... "

Or, for that matter - on anything ;-)

• Like 2

Just making foamboard T-Trak modules at a friend's.

IMG_20170326_144359.jpg

EDIT: a few beers onwards, a module is finished. Because of the lack of time -and an overabundance of beverages and food, we only managed to finish two (a double straight and a corner).

IMG_20170326_172031.jpg

A third double straight had to be put on hold. Three more double straight modules await, of which two will become terminal stations.

The theme will be the Ikegami/Tamagawa lines from Tōkyū, so the goal is to have three car 18m trains exclusive operations with the option to intergate some modules in meetings and expand/move the project easily.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 8

Looking good squid!

I wouldn't say the step up from the road to the station entrance is too high... cause judging from the parked van, it is around the same height to climb up the driver side of the van and to climb up the step.... however, usually the van comes with a handle to pull yourself up when you climb into the van so... Perhaps if you are bothered by this you can saw off a step on the right side of the entrance? But then again you will need a railing... Or you could also saw off a gradient ramp running sideways into the station, and can even pass it off as a 'for wheelchair' access... Place a man with a trolley beside the van and it can be passed off as making a delivery into the shop inside the station ~  :)

Step problem solved thusly:

(before)

33222532622_ae3f718892_z.jpg

inaka-station by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(after)

33619766766_abc3f3d4ab_z.jpg

inaka-station-step by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I also removed the entire base up to the edge of the building itself, replacing the clunky Tomix shower cubicle telephone box perched on an implausibly high concrete pedestal with a more plausible looking Kato one at ground level (pending vertical adjustments).

33276704610_491ff1f91b_z.jpg

inaka-station-tram by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 13

Of course the full-sized H5 had to be run. Since there was discussion about derailings here in the forum, I put it on my narrower curved mainline tracks.

Turned out it doesn't like R315 at all. Derailed almost immediately.

On R348 it ran fine as long as nothing special happened. On a slight disturbance however (it touched one of my dummy traffic lights) it also derailed. This was with car 11 leading. With car 1 leading, it derailed after some time for no obvious reason. So, seems that R348 is the limit. Fortunately the viaduct tracks have larger radii.

I have the Kato E5 version and it runs fine on R249. It doesn't look good of course, but runs without derailing in both directions. It also does not have any problem on our T-trak modules with standard curves.

Simply cleaned the track (rails, scenery and the rest) and fixed minor scenery bugs (God bless my son's cat!!!) then had had a test run (after three months of complete stop it's the bare minimum): trains and tram.

Meantime I begun thinking about the future of Mangarahara (my japanese track): we'll be leaving from Ivory Coast in little more than a year ... so THIS IS GONNA BE AN SERIOUS ISSUE.

I simply "did something" (on the layout) to heal me a little: I fear i'll have to quit it ...but this a different issue, totally different!!!

Francesco

nscalestation

With the electrical issues hopefully behind me I worked on some scenery today.  Particularly on some things that have been put off for way too long. 

Crossing signals and gates

I put together one of my sets of Green Max grade crossings.  I mounted the gate arms with screws from Micro-Trains couplers to they can be placed in a raised or lowered position.  

The start of the subway station construction scene

Another area that has needed some attention is the big hole behind the station.  I have a start on creating the subway station construction scene.  I am building a box out of styrene with the top open.  Filling the inside with steel cross frames that will hold up the floor for the concourse level so the level below will still be visible.   Also put together one of the two climbing crane kits I have for this project.

• Like 10

EDIT: a few beers onwards, a module is finished. Because of the lack of time -and an overabundance of beverages and food, we only managed to finish two (a double straight and a corner).

Nice, another great looking module coming up! 

P.s. I was wondering, does beer helps to give inspiration? I often see those during module building sessions ~  :P

(after)

33619766766_abc3f3d4ab_z.jpg

inaka-station-step by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I

That is one nice step! I almost didn't recognize it if you hadn't posted the 'before' picture! Good job!

Meantime I begun thinking about the future of Mangarahara (my japanese track): we'll be leaving from Ivory Coast in little more than a year ... so THIS IS GONNA BE AN SERIOUS ISSUE.

I totally understand Francesco, I recently had the big move and torn apart my Takahashi town... saddening but true.. and now I don't even have a layout to run my trains on...

I put together one of my sets of Green Max grade crossings.  I mounted the gate arms with screws from Micro-Trains couplers to they can be placed in a raised or lowered position.  

Great idea on that Green Max crossing! Looks great!

Another area that has needed some attention is the big hole behind the station.  I have a start on creating the subway station construction scene.  I am building a box out of styrene with the top open.  Filling the inside with steel cross frames that will hold up the floor for the concourse level so the level below will still be visible.   Also put together one of the two climbing crane kits I have for this project.

I really like the look and feel on the subway construction, especially coming from a civil engineering industry... You captured the struts perfectly! :)

• Like 1

Nice, another great looking module coming up! 

P.s. I was wondering, does beer helps to give inspiration? I often see those during module building sessions ~  :P

Thank you! We're actually building six modules at once... Lots to be done... And the beer is just because... We like beer. Lots of beer. Lots of trains. Lots of food. Lots of imbalance xD

Das Steinkopf

Just making foamboard T-Trak modules at a friend's.IMG_20170326_144359.jpg

EDIT: a few beers onwards, a module is finished. Because of the lack of time -and an overabundance of beverages and food, we only managed to finish two (a double straight and a corner).IMG_20170326_172031.jpg

A third double straight had to be put on hold. Three more double straight modules await, of which two will become terminal stations.

The theme will be the Ikegami/Tamagawa lines from Tōkyū, so the goal is to have three car 18m trains exclusive operations with the option to intergate some modules in meetings and expand/move the project easily.

I have been looking at a number of the stations on that line and have found Ishikawadai Eki to be a very tempting subject to model.

I have been looking at a number of the stations on that line and have found Ishikawadai Eki to be a very tempting subject to model.

That one is on the list of stations to model, as it has a varied landscape with slopes on either side of the station. Another station that is on the list is Ontakesan where the Yokosuka line and Tōkaidō Shinkansen cross below the Ikegami line. This will allow for zairaisen trains and Shinkansen to pass the modules on a lower level.

Another station on the list is Yukigaya-otsuka, as that's where the depot is located. This one will probably just be an interpretation, but I'd also like to get a little part of the shotengai (shopping street) on there, as I know the street's manager personally and go have a drink there from time to time.

Edited by Kabutoni

I tend to only drop in once every 6 months cause I'm useless at being social..

however, I did work on my layout this weekend, unfortunately dismantling it and boxing it all up. :(

The good news however, is that I did that as we're moving back to Canada as soon as we sell our house!! 

I have plans and ideas for the new layout in Canada, I'm going to need some serious t-trak advice I think. but thats probably for another thread

G

Toni,

Keep us posted on how the foam core modules hold up. I whacked one up a long time back and I was amazed how stable it was and so light you almost threw it across the room when you went to pick it up. With car transporting there is no reason they should not hold up very well. Put your pho wood strip across the front and pretty!

Could even make a foamcore carrier box that 3-6 modules could slide into and a door with Velcro straps.

Jeff

Just starting a B-train layout; 18" x 36". Most shapes and forms in the photo are place holders. Spent yesterday assembling tomytec's bamboo trees - time consuming, that's for sure!

post-1699-0-10962100-1490639936_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
enodenlover

Earlier today I varnished the wood frame of the 24x36 cork bulletin board that I'm using for my second layout ( the first was completed a couple of weeks ago ). This new one is going to represent the southern terminus of the fictional Tsuburaya Electric Railway aka "Tsubuden" that's on layout #1. The terminal is roughly five miles south of the tiny village that I modeled before and the new layout is set in 1968, eleven years after the previous one's setting and a few years before the Tsubuden's  abandonment. The little line never was very profitable but the improved highways and expanded bus service of the '60s  led to the railway's end in 1973. I'm going to be working on structures for the time being while waiting for my Tomix track to arrive.

R.I.P. Tsubuden : 1905 -1973 :sad1:

Bob

Edited by enodenlover

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I've had to take a semester off from school and move back home to Los Angles.  This meant dismantling my layout, but hopefully this just means that I can build it better next time!  A Sayonara (for now) Special was run using some older oha 35 coaches and a 9600 class SL, before the a kiha 40 series made the last run.  In the mean time I may try to build some modules for practice, probably out of foam core like tony is doing, much easier than wood!  

post-3846-0-95970700-1490680232_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-82084700-1490680235_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-62821500-1490680241_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-56680900-1490680245_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-38463700-1490680248_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-85649000-1490680229_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 8

Kiha,

Sorry to hear of the move and break from school, but things will get back on track (pun unintended). That's the beauty of unitrak, very easy to dismantle in these situations and setup on the fly when there is no space for a permanent space for a layout.

Foamcore is great material, it's only issues are moisture/humidity and getting dinged up. Humidity changes can be dealt with on substructures by just using a lot of internal cross bracing. Moisture from scenery materials being applied can be helped if you spray clear lacquer over the paper area that the material will go on. You have to be careful not to hit the foam with it as most organic solvent paints can eat at the stryene core foam, so always test first. Just do a few light coats on the paper letting it dry well between coats.

A long time back I use to build a lot of temp models of exhibits and a bunch 1/4 scale models out of foamcore that held up amazing well when very large and carried around a lot. I was amazed they held up so well from all the abuse!

Think sectional as you could break a small layout up along good break points in the layout track plan to get smaller, lighter sections for storage or transport. You can skin the front edges with wood veneer (2" wide veneer is pretty cheap). This way you could keep working on the layout in small chunks.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Forgot to mention if you want the ultimate building material for light look at ultraboard (brand name, other versions ask for stryene faced forms core, different thicknesses of board and skins available). It's foamcore with a styrene sheet skin instead paper. It's super tough stuff in dings and moisture proof. The thin skinned 3/16" stuff can be cut with a matte knife but works best on a table saw and cuts very cleanly with a fine ply blade.

Makes amazingly light and tough structures that stay flat with minimal substructure. It's used for signs and stand up retail displays a lot. We use to make anything that had to go above 6' in exhibits so minimal support weight and it it fell it would never crush anyone! You can get it at most plastic suppliers and sometimes from sign shops.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1